Just booked Crown Princess - I NEED SOME SERIOUS HELP!

tradingspaces

Just booked the Crown for the August 16th to Western Caribbean. This will be our 2nd cruise (honeymoon) our 1st cruise was with RCCL in March 2006 to the Mexican Riveria. Just a note of thanks to everyone with all their help with our 1st cruise, I couldn't have done it without you. We have never been to New York and I am totally lost on how to get around and where to stay. I have been looking for hotels and transportation and have just become overwhelmed with what to do. My TA suggested that we stay at the hotel Edson which is in Manhattan on west 47th between 8th and Broadway. Can anyone give me an opinion on this hotel. Can anyone give me some suggestion on what we should do and see while there and last (for the moment) what is the best way to get to the Red Hook pier from Manhattan? Is Manhattan the best place to stay in relation to the JFK and the Red Hook pier?

Thank you so much for any suggestion and advice!:)

Laura

Don't forget to sign in on the roll call.

The Edison is well located. I have never stayed in it or walked inside, but I have passed it many times. From the outside, it looks very old and basic. Supposedly the rates are good though. You have to be careful with "boutique" hotels in NY. Some are nice, some are glorified closets for rooms.

I know there is a Marriott Courtyard and I think also a Hilton Garden Inn on 8th or 9th avenue if you want a name you know. I have stayed many times in the Westin NY (almost next door to the Edison) and also the Sheraton NY and Sheraton Manhattan on 7th in the 50's and I have always been happy with those. I like that neighborhood better.

Did you know you can get half price Broadway tickets at the TKTS booth in Duffy Square. I know they are renovating it right now and the booth is relocated to the MArriott Marquis on Broadway (another nice hotel) I'm not sure for how long.

See you on board!

You could also go to tripadvisor.com and do a search on new york city hotels, you can list them according to member reviews/scores and read all the reviews.

There are also sections on things to do and see.

Good Luck!

(If I had the budget, I'd be staying at the Plaza) :cool:

LOVE BOAT DREAM - thank you so much for your advice. I will be checking out the hotel information for sure! And the Broadway tickets!

How does the roll call work? In know that on RCCL you have a meet and mingle and they co-ordinate the get together. Does Princess have something like that?

Laura!

Tradingspaces, the roll call is right here on CC. From the boards page just go down a little farther from where you clicked to come to the princess forum. That is where you will find the roll calls for the different cruise lines. Click on Princess, then click on Crown and you will find the one for your sailing.

I have stayed at the Plaza and it was/is one of those Hotels you should at least do a walk through. However, to the best of my knowledge, the PLaza's demise is not forever.

I'm quite sure I have read that much of it will be converted to extremely expensive residences, but to the best of my knowledge there will STILL be some hotel rooms available (I do not think any of the hotel rooms will face Central Park and will more than likely face the street and not have any decent views). :(

We stayed at the Renaissance in NYC (Times Square) when we sailed the NCL Dawn out of NYC. I have no idea where that is in relation to Red Hook but I can tell you it was a great hotel. They have a restaurant that overlooks TImes Square that you can eat in. We loved the location, rooms, etc. We were impressed at how the whole TImes Square area has been beautified. Fun weekend, to say the least!!

Good luck!

hey tradingspaces! I'm from Brooklyn and there happens to be a Marriott (sp?) in Brooklyn which is relatively close to the Red Hook terminal. Do a search for it. Its a nice hotel in downtown Brooklyn and it'll probably be cheaper for you to get a car service to the terminal rather from Manhattan (plus the traffic getting over the bridge or through the tunnel can be annoying...I've driven from Brooklyn to the Manhattan terminal for my past two cruises and it is not fun lol). If you choose to stay in Brooklyn, I can give you car service numbers to get you to the terminal! :)

danixbanani! Thanks for the information. I well definitely check out the Marriott in Brooklyn. I would appreciate those numbers for the car services. I have a question about getting from the JFK to the Marriott in Brooklyn. I know that you can get from JFK to Manhattan by taxi for a flat rate fee of $45.00 (40 - 60 minute drive) is it much more to Brooklyn?

Thanks

Laura

I have stayed at the Plaza and it was/is one of those Hotels you should at least do a walk through. However, to the best of my knowledge, the PLaza's demise is not forever.

I'm quite sure I have read that much of it will be converted to extremely expensive residences, but to the best of my knowledge there will STILL be some hotel rooms available (I do not think any of the hotel rooms will face Central Park and will more than likely face the street and not have any decent views). :(

The top floors will be turned into residences and the lower floors will be hotel/shopping. There will definitely still be rooms facing the park, but not the best views as you will be lower down. Another thing that has gotten a lot of people upset is that they are getting rid of a lot of the grand ballrooms and other charming areas of the hotel and turning it into a shopping mall.

Another great hotel facing Central Park is the Ritz Carlton, which formerly was the St. Moritz Hotel. The top floors of this hotel also were turned into condos but I understand there are still rooms with amazing views.

Another great hotel facing Central Park is the Ritz Carlton, which formerly was the St. Moritz Hotel. The top floors of this hotel also were turned into condos but I understand there are still rooms with amazing views.

I did not realize that the Ritz bought the St. Moritz. I am glad as the hotel was looking bad for a long time.

My old favorite in that general area was the Stanhope, which is also being converted to condos:(.

tradingspaces, i am SO sorry that i never got back to you! i simply got lost in all the other threads about the crown and i've had little cruise ships swirling around in my head lately lol. i will post some phone numbers for car services later today because i'm at work and my phonebook is home :cool: so sorry once again!

Archived