Questions for the Vendaam experienced

kbert92069

I'm eagerly anticipating my cruise next week on the Veendam and have some questions for experienced Veendam cruisers.

These are some areas I see on the deck plan. What are they for?

Half moon theatre?

Hudson room?

Queen's room?

Are movies shown on the big screen?

Which areas have dancing?

At the front of the Veranda level is there an observation area/access to the front of the ship?

Thanks

I just returned from Veendam in Alaska and sail her once or twice a year. She is a very comfortable ship, easy to get about, relaxed, very uncrowded and well maintained as are all HAL ships.

The three rooms you mention are fairly specialized rooms and typically not used for scheduled activities.

Half Moon is primarily used for meeting groups and ship staff meetings / training. It serves as a meeting room for large groups onboard and a conference center.

The Hudson room similarly, and is sometimes used for private cocktail parties. Before the drydock enhancement, it was used for the Club Hal kid's programs as well. These rooms have no windows / views and rarely have any traffic.

The Queens Rooms was an extension of the Rotterdam Dining Room (as was the former opposing King's Room - now reworked as part of the Pinnacle Grille) These rooms offered opportunity for a private dining section of the Rotterdam Dining Room, which could have been closed off from the main dining room. Now, the Queen's room has been reworked to be either a private dining, party location, but more commonly is used for Bridge players as the former Card Room space was incorporated into the Explorations Cafe (Internet, Library, Coffee Shop, News & Media Center) after the drydock.

The Wajang Theater & Culinary Center shows films on the big Screen (as well as the new Culinary Center with live cooking demonstrations). There are also films shown on the Cabin Televisions and DVDs available for check out in the Explorations Cafe (the cabins all have flat panel TVs and DVD players now).

Dancing is mostly popular with the live band in the Ocean Bar. A trio is typical on duty in the Crow's Nest during coctail hours and late night a DJ plays the Crow's Nest. I highly recommend a slow dance, on deck, under the stars to the tune of your own music. ;)

The Observation deck forward of the Veranda Deck is open for forward views. It is just below the Navigation Bridge. It can be accessed via the forward stair towers nestled within the forward superstructure of the ship. Easiest way to get there is Lower Promenade forward to the Stairtower A or B and climb 2 decks up. From Lower Prom forward there are also access hatches onto the bow of the ship which is teak decked and great unobstucted views forward.

Hope this helps!

Karl -

We haven't been on the Veendam - yet - but we have a friend that is working on her. If you see Anne or Joanne (depending on which name tag she wears!) at the front desk, call her "Queen Anne" and tell her that Mary and Jeff say hi and can't wait to see her in December!

She's very sweet and will do her best to help you if you need anything. Right now at least she is working the night shift, I'm not sure how long she will be on nights. Keep an eye out for her and introduce yourself to her and you'll have a friend on the ship!

Mary

The Veendam has has the SOE upgrades. Have not sailed her since. Not sure what happens with the Hudson room with the addition of the internet cafe etc.. I think the Hudson room was used for cards and games when not in use for the private parties or group meetings.. Hope you love the ship. We are scheduled for a 14 day cruise next year and looking forward to it!

TampaMike....haha...we might have seen you in Seward! My husband & I flew up to Alaska to spend several weeks with our daughter. While there, we took the train to Seward and went on a day-cruise on the 19th. Having just sailed on the Veendam to the Western Caribbean in April, imagine my surprise when I looked at the name of the ship in port and it was the Veendam. It was a nice coincidence. Haha..I looked up at the ship and wondered who was enjoying my wonderful Verandah Suite!

Archived