rome and pickpockets

Well this is a great post but I do have one question. If you are walking with a group and you notice someone in the group going to get pickpocketed or whatever and you grab or push they gypsie, do they get violent or will you get in trouble(different rules then here in NY). Everyone says they are not violent but what happens if they are caught?

I remember reading on the Fodor's board (Europe) about a man who felt a pickpocket at work. He swiveled around quickly with his elbows out and broke the nose of the pickpocketer. She and her group ran away. !!

Another person said that they sprayed one with an aerosol of something and the perps took off.

No one on that thread mentioned any retaliation.

M.A.

I have seen at least a couple of dozen separate incidents where tourists try to grab a gypsy in Rome following an attempt at pickpocketing, and the gypsies haven't fought back. The gypsies just run away very quickly. I keep hoping I'll see a tourist whoop on one of the gypsies, but we haven't been that lucky yet. :) Some of the gypsies are in Rome illegally, and I can assure you that none of them want to get caught. I do think the gypsies are quite brazen around the police though, and there are many reports that the gypsies pay the policemen off. I've seen police within 10 feet of the gypsies when pickpocket attempts were made, so there may be some truth to those allegations.

Donna

Was in Rome in May. It had been several years since I was there and had become paranoid about the theft issues.

At first I carried my valuables in my money belt but got tired of it as it got sweaty under my clothes.

I then carried everything in a very small across the chest purse, just big enough for my camera and money.

This was much better. My fears were unfounded. We even rode the hot, crowded Metro. Nothing happened to us nor did I observe any pickpocketing.

Of course I kept my hands on the purse at all times.

Archived