rome and pickpockets

Has anyone seen or purchased these from LL Bean or Lands End? Despite their incredible name they really are pretty practicle. Pants and shorts for men and women with pockets that have hidden zippers and inner compartments to hinder pickpockets. DH just got a pair, they're pretty stylish and comfortable looking and don't seem to bulge in odd places like one might expect.

We are going in two weeks and bought over the neck pouches that I can wear under my shirt, anyone think that is good enough?

My DH wore one and thought it was great ... no problems with pickpockets. However, one of our CC friends had an attempted theft of his on a crowded subway .... the thief got the top button of his shirt undone when his wife noticed what was going on. The thiefs (three guys together) were in business suits.... so keep an eye out for everyone on crowded buses and subways. I carried a small backpack during all of our port days and if a bus or subway was crowded, I turned it around to the front of me and guarded it with my arms.

I would not spend any time worrying about this, but keep an eye open and nothing of value in your pockets.

My friend and her sister traveled all over Italy two years ago each with one of those wallets and had no trouble. DH and I are a little nervous because the last time we were in Europe we pickpocketed in Paris. We are taking all kinds of precautions to keep it from happening again. We are also taking precautions in case it does. Last time they got my passport and credit card and when we canceled the credit card my husband's, on the same account, was canceled too. This time I'm not carrying my passport on the street except when I go from the plane to the hotel and the hotel to the ship. I'm making two photocopies of all our passport information leaving one at home with a friend who can fax it to me and I'm taking the other burried in one of the suitcases. I'm also taking the extra passport photos we got and we're each taking different credit cards. Like I said we're a little nevous.

Are these people just sticking there hands in your front pockets or are they cutting the straps to fanny packs and the such. We are going in two weeks and bought over the neck pouches that I can wear under my shirt, anyone think that is good enough?

My fanny pack has steel staps to prevent them being cut. Anything with a strap hanging around your neck, shoulder, belly, ??? can be grabbed and cut in one motion.

Just because it is around your neck does not make it invunerable. ;) It will be harder to get to when it is "under your clothes", but I have heard of money belts under people's shirts and pants being stolen.

I have been reading this thread and others regarding pickpockets in Italy. I appreciate all the suggestions as I have been researching and looking for the best way to carry camera, cash, identification, etc. while we are in Rome. We have a full day after we get in before we go to the cruise ship. We have both been to Rome before and enjoyed it very much. However, my last trip was 30+ years ago while my wife was there 6 years ago. We don't remember any problems with pickpockets or thiefs in Rome in the past. It is truly unfortunate that these cities and others (not pointing my finger at Rome only because I am sure there are these type of folks in every major city in the world) are targeted by these people. We were looking forward to a nice easy day walking around Rome and sightseeing everything again. Now, we will have to be ever vigilant to make sure we are not "ripped off" while we walk and see the city. I guess my camera gets left in the safe at the hotel and we don't carry anything - just keep what little we take inside our clothes and secured as much as possible. Yet, I see where folks have lost money and other items when it has been inside their clothes. I do appreciate everyone's advice as it will definitely change how we approach our visit in Rome. It is really a shame that we have to pay for security bags to try and minimize our risk. Again, thanks for all the advice. This is really a depressing thought as we so look forward to our trip. But we know the trip will be great.

What about cameras & the like? Are they likely to just walk up to you & blatantly grab a camera from your hand?

In other words...are we being more wary of mugging-like things, or snatch & grabs? Is there a degree of violence to the theft, or just thefts of opportunity?

Thanks.

Guest LetMeGo
What about cameras & the like? Are they likely to just walk up to you & blatantly grab a camera from your hand?

In other words...are we being more wary of mugging-like things, or snatch & grabs? Is there a degree of violence to the theft, or just thefts of opportunity?

Thanks.

If there was a genuine possibility of anybody coming up to you in broad daylight and violently snatching your camera away, I'm sure the US officials and tourist advisors would be the first to warn everybody. (They do after all warn you to drink only bottled water in Europe because of all the impurities and diseases... :rolleyes:

The major cities in Europe are no more backwards or crime ridden than their American counterparts. If you feel safe to carry a camera and your wallet with you in New York, you'll be just as fine in Rome.

I wonder what would be the reaction if Iasked "Is it safe to have your camera and your valuables in your carry-on-baggage in Miami before boarding the ship, or will I be murdered on the way?":p

The pickpockets are not violent crime. However, in Naples, gangs of punks on scooters and motor cycles drive the streets snatching purses off shoulders, and I could see where someone could get hurt in that scenario. It is unfortunate that the officials in Rome have allowed the gypsies to run amuck, and it is regrettable that this does interfere with vacation enjoyment in Rome. This is why I have a strong preference for Venice over Rome because you just don't see the masses of gypsies in Venice like you do in other Italian cities. For the board member who is now leaving your camera in your safe, I hope you will reconsider that decision or at least take a disposable camera because I know you'll want to have some photos of your time in Rome, which is a wonderful place to visit despite the situation with the gypsies. We leave our passport in the safe and proceed out with little cash using our credit cards as much as possible. With American Express, we have separate account numbers, so mine can be replaced without my husband's being cancelled and vice versa (we also carry a MasterCard. We've spent at least 20 days in Rome and haven't been victims, so it can be done. We've had a lot of advice from our Italian friends, who have also been ripped off in Rome. Stay off bus 64, which we call the "pickpocket express", which is the bus that runs the loop to all the tourists sites, unless you feel very confident (and those are usually the ones who get ripped off). We have seen it all and had numerous attempts to take our cash. Don't stand on the streets looking at a map; back up to the wall of a building and keep your eye out then too. Don't wear a fanny pack that doesn't have a metal cord in the band (gypsies cut the bands). For the ladies, wear your purse strapped across your body and keep you hand on it in crowds. I haven't seen or heard of a lot of camera snatching; the theives want your cash. And remember that for the most part, these are NOT Italian citizens, and the gypsies have VERY small hands that are in and out quickly. Just keep you eyes open, and they'll move on to the next target.

Happy travels to all,

Donna

This is an interesting thread...but also a bit misleading. We have been traveling in Europe for over 25 years (cruise and land) and have seen more than our share of pickpockets/purse snatchers....most of them being gypsies. But, to put the label on Rome is doing a terrible misjustice to many other places in Europe. This is not a Rome problem and not even an Italy problem...but rather a western Europe problem. The good news is that unlike in the USA where a pickpocket will blow off your head and than take your money, in Europe they are very skilled and its unlikely you will ever be harmed. The truth is that if you take reasonable precautions (a good idea even in US cities) you should be fine. I have personally had 3 attempts made on my person and they were in Arles (France), Bologna, and Arles. We have also witnessed gangs of gypsies working a few highway rest stops in Northeastern Spain. Actually, the gypsies have spurned a new industry in Spain for entreprenaurs. At many highway rest stops (particularly between Rome and Naples) there are old guys that stand in the parking areas, try to direct traffic, and watch the cars. They will then solicit tips from the car drivers as they leave. I guess you could say its a volunteer security system and I guess it works...although we always have one of us stay with the car when we are carrying luggage. I think the worst place we have seen for pickpockets is the train/subway that runs from Pireaus to Athens. And finally, we have a good friend who also does a lot of European travel and she had a wallet snatched from her purse while at the top of the Eiffel Tower. So, don't pick on Rome,, just always use common sense and be alert to your surroundings.

Hank

Hank, I disagree with you on this one. We have also traveled extensively in Europe, and the pickpockets in Rome are as worse than what we've seen in other locations. That doesn't mean that the pickpockets aren't working elsewhere, but it is an issue in Rome, and it pays for others to be educated before they go. This is a black eye on the officials in Rome, and the bad reputation is well earned.

Donna

I am a lifelong Floridian and I would not walk around Downtown Miami with cameras, backpacks, fanny packs, maps, etc. :p My friend had her wallet pickpocketed from her purse down there, things are stolen out of cars, you name it. I'm sure it's no different in the downtown areas of alot of cities but an above poster mentioned Miami in particular.

About the only thing not mentioned to keep things safe is in your shoes & socks while wearing long pants. There are socks out with a zipper pouch, saw them online somewhere.

Bring a whistle, yell Police in the language where you are and push them away - it works.

MaryAnn

Bring a whistle

MaryAnn

It's interesting that you mentioned that because some of the merchants in Rome are fed up and are now using whistles to warn tourists when gypsies are in the area. If they can see them, I don't know why the police can't, but that's a different thread . . . .

We don't like touching the (nasty) gypsies, so my husband just puts up his hand and says "no" very strongly and forcefully. That works every time. They make fun of him sometimes, and we just laugh.

Donna

Guest LetMeGo
I am a lifelong Floridian and I would not walk around Downtown Miami with cameras, backpacks, fanny packs, maps, etc. :p My friend had her wallet pickpocketed from her purse down there, things are stolen out of cars, you name it. I'm sure it's no different in the downtown areas of alot of cities but an above poster mentioned Miami in particular.

About the only thing not mentioned to keep things safe is in your shoes & socks while wearing long pants. There are socks out with a zipper pouch, saw them online somewhere.

Bring a whistle, yell Police in the language where you are and push them away - it works.

MaryAnn

I knew it was bad... Why else would you have CSI Miami? :D

But that was kind of the point I was making... Rome is not the cesspool of the world, and some people can walk around any city confidently even at night, while others are afraid to leave their hotel at midday.

It's not the city, it's the personal opinions and attitudes of people.

In case you haven't read the official word from the US government, it says that crime is a problem in Rome. Specifically it goes out to mention gangs of thieves, accepting drinks from strangers, and leaving your valuables unattended... Pretty much the same problems you have in any city, most of which you can avoid all by yourself.

This is really a depressing thought as we so look forward to our trip. But we know the trip will be great.

I think that it's easy to blow this out of proportion ..... with common sense and caution (which seems to be the rule whenever and wherever you travel) you should be fine. We carried cameras, a backpack, 'under the shirt' pouch .... and were never targeted. Perhaps we were lucky. We did not spend any time worrying about it .... just made sure that we were aware of our surroundings and kept our valuables guarded.

The last time I was in Rome was 2 years ago . We only saw 1 occurance of pickpocketing. This elderly man had all his money and documents in his back pocket . Surely a temptation for gypsies. I think people on this thread are uneccesarily scaring travellers. Precautions need to be taken but it sounds like some paranonia is taking place here.

One thing I bought which I would like to share that I have not heard discussed here is a small pouch (nude color) with 2 straps with snaps . Women can snap these straps onto their bra straps. I have carried my jewelry , credit card and cash in it . It is very small .This way it is underneath your clothes and there is no strap around your neck . Nothing is visible .

Going back in July with my daughter and am going to be cautious but not afraid.:cool:

carmic:

Soft lingerie fabric is lightweight and comfortable against the skin. All are hand washable. Ideal for currency, credit card or other small valuables. Easily snaps onto most bra straps.

Lewis N. Clark # W265

R2S3LCB2Qty:

Get Your Discount!

A 10% discount will be automatically applied to all online orders!

Enter coupon code found on order form in coupon box during checkout.

Availability:

Usually ships within 48 hours - express orders ship the same day

(if Received by 1 PM Pacific Standard Time).

Why Buy From Us?

safetycentral.com

I just went on a website and there is a picture there of the ""bra stash " . It is around 6.00 and worth every penny and loads of peace of mind ....priceless .

Glad I could help !

I'll admit I spent a lot of my 2 week (land) European vacation being totally paranoid and it probably wasn't worth it. However I came away unscathed. From experience I do agree that the best defense is a good offense. That is pretty much to say "Don't be stupid". A lot of times people on vacation throw away all the cares in the world and just wander, etc. and not really pay attention to who is around you. I think that is the most important part - just stay aware and don't succumb to the carefree attitude. Most times you can tell right away who the gypsies are by their dress. Not to say that other "normally" dressed people won't try to rip you off either though.

I'm also a big believer of the "If you are prepared for the bad situations, nothing will happen to you", sort of like Murphy's law. So in my luggage I also packed two disposable cameras in case mine ever got stolen. I read another tip on this board to scan important documents and save them in an email account that you can access anywhere if something got lost/stolen so I did that. I printed out the addresses and phone numbers of the American embassies in all the cities we were visiting. So I was downright prepared to the hilt. And I was either (a) lucky or (b) looked too tough of a target. Who knows. I noticed though that a lot of times natives (in restaurants, stores, etc.) would always start talking to me in French (in Paris) or in Italian (in the various Italian cities I visited) while I would notice other tourists immediately being spoken to in English. So maybe I also blended in enough that I didn't look like a tourist? I guess I will never know that.

Also (sorry, long winded post time), I would say that there definitely are people out to get you everywhere, it's just their methods that change. In Paris the gypsies were usually out in groups, harassing people, asking them if they speak English and trying to get donations "for the Church". They'd also bump into people on purpose and I'm sure someone else was watching out for the person's reaction. In Venice (because that was also mentioned in this post), there were gypsies around too. They mostly sat by themselves on the sides of the sidewalks begging for money, usually saying something like "I have 5 kids at home please help me take care of them" (Sure and I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you). In Rome, the men were pretty aggressive, not so much the women. For example, if they were walking around selling flowers, they would try to put them in your hand and if they succeeded then they were harassing you for money because, hey, you just "took" one of their flowers.

In the end I'll sum up what I said in the beginning, just be aware of what's going on around you. A lot of times their "scams" are so obvious that you should walk away as quickly as possible and if you really, really feel threatened, just cause a commotion, yell loud, whatever. I never saw any violent crimes taking place. And like other people have said, it's not usually a snatch and grab type thing because they don't want the attention. The pickpocketing is usually very subtle and you would never know it's happening which helps in the not-getting-hurt-part of the crime.

Thanks to all of you who have discussed your experiences traveling in Europe. From my previous post, some thought maybe I was pointing a finger at Rome. That was never my intention because the problems, I am sure, are in most large cities around the world. I would especially think it is noticed more in well traveled cities because of the number of tourists. Stealing happens everywhere - yes even here in north Alabama. I think the tips provided are very worthwhile and I plan to prepare in much the same way most of you have done so in the past. We do plan to walk around Rome and we do plan to stay away from the "Pickpocket" express. However, I doubt you will ever get away from the threat because I remember 30+ years ago there were people waiting for us to exit from the old churches and wanting money for their family. Unfortunately, my wife and I are usually "soft touches" for folks and have given in the past. Of course, we were probably very naive 30+ years ago and perhaps have hardened a bit over the years. We appreciate the tips and what to watch out for as we travel. It is indeed sad that our world has evolved to such a point that "stealing" and "pickpocketing" is a way of life. But that is life. Again, thanks to all.

Archived