Constanta, Romania & Odessa, Ukraine

I am looking at a Celebrity Cruise that includes these ports. Does anyone have any experience or info on these two ports?

YOU MAY WISH TO LOOK AT THE OCEANIA CRUISE BOARD. THE SHIP GOES TO THOSE PORTS TWICE,,EARLY JULY 06 AND SEPT 14TH 06 IN THE NEXT 2 WEEKS PEOPLE WILL BE POSTING INFO FOR THOSE PORTS. THERE ARE ALSO SOME WRITE UPS FROM LAST YEARS CRUISES TO THE SAME PORTS

I am looking at a Celebrity Cruise that includes these ports. Does anyone have any experience or info on these two ports?

We were in Constanta on May 22 and Odessa on May 23 while on the Rotterdam.

Constanta was a disappointing port without much interesting in the way of cultural attraction, shopping, or ambience. This was a consensus opinion among the couple dozen or so fellow passengers with whom we spoke. We saw a lot of idle and sullen locals; some passengers complained of being stalked by pickpockets though we did not experience this personally. We have travelled to Romania before and enjoyed visiting Bucharest, Brasov, and portions of Transylvania. which added to our disappointment. If you end up on this cruise, consider taking an excursion to the Danube Delta or Bucharest, either one is a couple of hours each way, however. Otherwise, get a quick look around, enjoy a cheap beer or two in a local cafe, and get back aboard early.

By contrast, Odessa was a great port and a real highlight of our cruise. The ship docks right in the central area with the picturesque Potemkin steps or a free funicular ride separating you from the center of the city. Nice museums, beautiful architecture, a convenient market for local souvenirs in a nearby park, and most everything is dirt cheap.

Thanks for all the feedback. Kinghw, your idea for a day tour to bucharest or Danube delta sounds good. Do you have any info on private tour operators in Constanta that we could use?

Thanks for all the feedback. Kinghw, your idea for a day tour to bucharest or Danube delta sounds good. Do you have any info on private tour operators in Constanta that we could use?

Sorry, Laukland, we spent some time researching before the cruise but never found one that answered our e-mails.

I agree with the poster above. Take an excursion out of Constanta if possible. We did one to Ancient Histria, which is a Greek outpost out on the Danube delta. Really interesting, and the surroundings are beautiful. Don't know about private tourguides, ours was a ship's tour (Regent/Radisson).

There is also a very nice beach outside of Constanta. You could make it a beach day, if you like that sort of thing.

• 2 weeks later...

One last question regarding Constanta & Odessa. From your helpful posting, it sounds as if the ships dock right in the heart of the action in Odessa, but not in Constanta? If my assumption is true, I may forego a shore excursion in Odessa and just make my way into town from the pier. Your response will be greatly appreciated.

One last question regarding Constanta & Odessa. From your helpful posting, it sounds as if the ships dock right in the heart of the action in Odessa, but not in Constanta? If my assumption is true, I may forego a shore excursion in Odessa and just make my way into town from the pier. Your response will be greatly appreciated.

The Rotterdam docked in the center of Odessa; the main part of the city lies above the waterfront up the beautiful Potemkin steps. There is a free funicular just to the side of the steps.

In Constanta we took the Rotterdam shuttlebus which was free, but the city center was perhaps only a 20-30 minute walk from the ship.

We also were docked quite close in in Odessa, within easy walking distance to the Potemkin steps, although I believe there was also a shuttle. In Constanta, we were docked way out (huge industrial port), and there was a shuttle bus to the middle of town.

Odessa is definitely walkable, although a guidebook would help.

Archived