Name on reservation matching driver's license question

6 nights away from the cruise, what happens if the name on your official cruise documents do not match up exactly to your driver's license and birth certificate? For instance,

"Al" versus Allen

"Joe" versus Joseph

"Jan" verus Janice????

Probably no problem if the name is a shortening of a given name, but if it is a nickname, instead of a given name you might need to have a couple of forms of ID.

I would call RCCL or your TA in the morning and have them get the name changed to match the name on the ID.

We had a problem with my husband's on his first cruise. His name is Leonard but he goes by Paul (middle name) Drivers license says L. Paul, passport says Leonard. Documents said Paul. I had to have his documents re-issued and picked up at the pier to match his passport.

a copy of your marriage license to validate name change. Easiest way is to just have all your travel documents match the name on your ID (passport is easiest). If you go with driver's license and birth certificate and the names do not match you can be denied boarding at the pier. They are much stricter about this since 9/11.

a copy of your marriage license to validate name change. Easiest way is to just have all your travel documents match the name on your ID (passport is easiest). If you go with driver's license and birth certificate and the names do not match you can be denied boarding at the pier. They are much stricter about this since 9/11.

Thanks for the info.

If I didn't want to bring the original marriage license, do you think a photocopy would suffice?

Or do I have to order a second original? (I refuse to bring our only copy of original birth certificates to another country, so I ordered new copies)

6 nights away from the cruise, what happens if the name on your official cruise documents do not match up exactly to your driver's license and birth certificate? For instance,

"Al" versus Allen

"Joe" versus Joseph

"Jan" verus Janice????

My son, legally, "dennis", goes by his middle name. his best friend's family didn't remember, and when they booked his ticket, booked it under the name he goes by...of course, his passport had his entire legal name...

they had NO problem. :D

Thanks for the info.

If I didn't want to bring the original marriage license, do you think a photocopy would suffice?

Or do I have to order a second original? (I refuse to bring our only copy of original birth certificates to another country, so I ordered new copies)

Ya don't need a marriage license. No one has ever been denied boarding on a Royal Caribbean ship as long as the document name and the name on the drivers license match. Married women with the last name different on the BC is expected.

Thousands cruise every week without their marriage certificates. If someone was ever denied boarding because they didn't have their marriage license, there would be lots of posts indicating this.

ive got my credit card and flights booked under my middle and last name- think i'll have problems? im in the process of doing the court-issued name change so it matches on my passport, so this is more of a just-in-case question

Regarding the last name being different than birth certificate....

I was traveling by my married last name. In January I was almost denied boarding American Airlines to Mexico because they felt I'd have difficulty getting back into country. It's Homeland Security that is cracking down and they need to see some kind of documentation to bridge the "gap" they said.

In preparing to go on July 23 cruise I called and asked RCCL a few weeks ago and eventhough passports aren't required until Jan 1st I would need a "certified" copy of marriage certificate if I was to use my birth certificate as a means to prove citizenship. So I decided to expidite getting a passport.

My best suggestion, call the cruise line rather than depending on what others state here.

Good luck and happy sailing!!!!

Archived