Bus to Marigot?

A couple of years ago, we took the bus (actually a large van) from Phillipsburg to Marigot. The vans have a placard with the destination printed on it in the front window. I believe the bus to Marigot runs up either Front Street or Back Street. I hope somebody can jump in here and clarify this for us. Just flag them down the way you would a taxi. If my memory is correct, the ride was about 30-45 minutes and cost about $1.00 - $1.50 per person each way.

We're going to be in St. Martin again later this year and plan to take the bus to Marigot again.

The beauty of doing it this way is you do it on your schedule. Take your time walking around the town, stopping where you want for as long as you want. Come back to Phillipsburg with plenty of time to shop or just in time to catch the ship. The beauty of going independent is the choices are yours. Just don't get so caught up in the fun that you miss the ship! :)

Questions to those in the know:

What is the current bus fare?

Is there a map showing bus routes on the island?

It all depends on how you define "rip-off". If the excursion costs $44 for 2 people and you can take the bus for $6 round trip for 2 people I would say the cost is very much in line with all cruise ship excursions. And all that for 2 hours. It will take about 45 minutes each way with difficult traffic outbound to Marigot. You really need to make sure the total trip is not 2 hours instead of 2 full hours in Marigot.

kal: The Princess brochure says a 3 hour excursion with 2 hours to explore and shop in Marigot, then back to downtown Philipsburg. They give you a Water Taxi bracelet to get yourself back to the Cruise Facility.

Junky: The local bus is do-able, but if you're thinking of doing the excursion, also consider that according to the official SXM Taxi Rate Sheet the rate for one or two people, Cruise Facility to Marigot, is $15. I've never taken one Marigot to P'Burg, but would have to assume that it is about the same rate, and you'd be entirely on your own schedule.

Frugalist: It's not really as organized so as to have a route map or schedule or anything like that, more a group of (very) independent drivers with a van and a license. You can probably count on the shortest route between any two of the points with minor variances.

gary

I went to St Maarten for a week a couple of years ago and used the bus almost exclusively. Most of them run along back street in Philipsberg and like a prvious poster said, they are mini vans and have a placard in the front window saying where they are going.

It was $1.50 each way and quite convenient for a trip to Marigot, the airport, and Mullet Beach. One time I took it to orient beach, but you have to transfer in marigot and then walk a fair bit to get to the beach. i wouldn't really recommend it if you want to go to Orient, cab would be better

I was usually the only tourist on the bus, but I was struck by the friendliness of the locals. Every person that got on the bus says "good morning, or hello" i didn't on my first trip but then made sure i did each subsequent trip. I thought that was great, and it sure doesn't happen where i come from

Not sure if there are routes listed on line. I don't believe they adhere to any set schedule. They just keep making roundtrips.

We have taken the local bus to Marigot a couple of times. Definitely the way to go. We were the only tourists on the bus also. It was quite an experience - but a good one. I think you catch it on the street behind the court house.

Archived