Propose on St. Thomas?

ryaninc

Hey everyone, I've been exploring Cruise Critic for a while, but this is the first post I've made. ;)

Anyway, I will be crusing to St. Thomas (among other destinations) in two weeks. I'll be with my family and my girlfriend is coming, too. I want to propose to her sometime on the trip. :cool:

St. Thomas is the first island we'll be visiting and I was wondering if any of you could recommend a good spot to pop the question? On a beach? Somewhere else?

I really want this to be a meaningful moment for her and the location is important. So...any suggestions?

We'll also be going to St. Marteen, Puerto Rico, and Hispanola. But I want to propose at the beginning of the cruise. I was just reading this thread about proposing and the beginning sounds like the best bet. (that's what I wanted to do anyway, but this confirmed it. :-)

I like the idea of doing it on the island so that we have a place to go back and visit someday. :)

The first place that comes to mind is Trunk Bay on St. John. When you get on the beach, walk to the left until you can't walk any further. There's a nice little private cove there with rocks onto which you can climb. The view is gorgeous and you have the surf gently lapping against the rocks. Just get her over there and pop the question! :D

57583921-S.jpg

You can easily do St. John on your own without a tour group.

The second place that comes to mind is Sapphire Beach on St. Thomas. What you'd want to do here is walk all the way to the right once you get to the beach. Pass the pool area and walk out on the little peninsula that juts out on to the water. You can see the little peninsula in this photo, it is on the right and covered by palm trees:

57669671-S.jpg

When you arrive there, here's your view:

57525090-S.jpg

Congratulations!!

After you pop the question, then bring her into town to buy the ring! :D

You can do a sunset sail and propose.

There are alot of 6-pack ships that go out (6 pass. max) and since we're the only ship in port that evening you shouldn't have a problem making arrangements and still have time that evening for a special dinner (perhap Portofino's).

I'd suggest you DON'T purchase the ring on the islands. Go to a reputable jeweler in the states (I stress this since I was "ripped off" on my engagement ring in NYC from someone who was "recommended" by BIL... they switched the stone -- took until 1 week before my wedding <5months of aggrevation> to get this mess cleaned up).

Congratuations .

carolyn

BTW, we're sailing w/you on Explorer on Friday. You can't miss us since my 13 1/2 yo son has bright copper hair.

Yes, St. Thomas would be a great place to propose! Magen's Bay Beach is gorgeous!

Oh-- or tell your taxi driver that you heard there's a great photo spot overlooking a cliff on the way to Magen's Bay Beach. I'm sure he'll know where it is. When I went with my brother, our taxi driver stopped there without us even asking and took a few pictures for us. It is the most unbelieveably beautiful view I have ever seen. We even saw a couple having wedding photos taken there.

If my husband has time to help me out, I'll try to post the photos here so you can see it for yourself. (Although the pictures don't quite do it justice. Seeing it in person just took my breath away!)

• 2 weeks later...

i just got back from the carnival legend cruise out of NY 6/13/06, and my fiance proposed to me at honeymoon beach on st. john! we took the champagne catamaran excursion, did some snorkeling, and then went to the beach. it was the absolute perfect setting!

by the way, perkyblue (if you're still checking this thread), i recognize you from the photo you posted! i guess that's not really an amazing fact since we were on the same boat for over a week, but i just thought it was cool. :)

Archived