If You're Not In A Wheelchair? What Does A Handicapped Person Look Like?

LittleBit: Bad Roz! Bad Roz! I'm so sorry for sounding "curt"! I get so defensive of my little girl. Can you imagine what kind of a mother I am to my children? No one dare do or say anything bad about or to them....I become the true embodiment of the "Mother Lion"!

I hope the following information is helpful:

The cabin on a ship would not be a good place to leave a service dog because of the movement/sounds etc. I take her with me to all meals and when I go to the pool I find a canopied area or umbrella to sit her under; I put her into a "down/stay" position and then I swim! I bring her portable water bowl and she's all set. I never leave her for a long time and I always remain in her sight. (She feels she needs to be able to alert me if there's an emergency). She has such a strong work ethic, it's hard to stop her and remind her to relax!

Again, I apologize and thank you so much for caring enough to ask good questions. Hopefully, one day maybe you'll get to cruise with "Brenda" the wonder dog! :)

Warmly,

Roz

Roz -

Thanks for the info...It's sorta what I thought, but you never know what is "standard practice."

I know you must get tired of having people ask questions that seem so simple and obvious to you but please remember, some of us (I know I'm not the only one!) occasionally read the special interest threads to make sure theywhat to do and how to help/if to help when they run into someone whose needs are different than their own and to make the effort to learn. I stutter when I speak (and, coincidently, when I sign!) and have trouble getting sentences right when I have to speak out loud, so it's tough when I get rebuked (whether face to face or post to post); I may have also been quick to take offense at your reply. Although it's easier for me to "speak" with the keyboard, it's too easy for people to read my words with the wrong attitude or for me to misinterpret how a poster means their response.

Thanks for your info.

We now return to our regularly scheduled lives.

• 2 weeks later...
If it's not obvious to your eyes, (if you're lucky to have good vision), what a handicapped person looks like? Think!

• Could they have degenerating discs in their spine or weakened bones in their feet and legs but still they walk and make every effort to look whole?

DON'T MAKE THE MISTAKE of pre-judging anyone! If they pull into the handicap space or use a handicap cabin but are not in a wheelchair, don't assume they're able bodied! You may not see the scar that runs up their spine from 4 different spinal surgeries

Be tolerant, don't assume! :)

Thank-you for this... this is me. I have degenerative disks and spinal stenosis. Some days it affects me more than others and my crooked back walk and limping is more pronounced. I have had these problems since I was about 18 and have had all kinds of treatments starting with my back surgery at age 24. Maybe I should put a decal on the back of my SUV that says, "Want to see my back surgery scar?"

I do have a handicap tag as signed for by my doctor and met the medical requirements to get it. I own a SUV because it is at the right height for me to get in and out of without much struggle. I would most certainly love to have a little car that is great on gas, but I cannot get in them without falling into them... and getting out of them is a nightmare for me. I do get MANY dirty looks from people when I park in a HC spot and get out with my two kids. NOBODY knows how painful it is for me to walk and I do not appreciate being judged on my "appearance". I just feel that they take one look at me and figure that at my age I must have conned some doctor into signing the paperwork for my plate. I have many years experience in hiding my pain and do not like to show it.

One more pet peeve of mine... that some people feel that if you can move around and have a full-time job that you couldn't possibly be disabled. To those people I say... my body IS broken, but my MIND sure isn't. My employer gives me great freedom to do what I need to do at work to help with the pain. As long as I can push myself to go to work every day, I will not apply for Disability benefits. (btw... I do meet 2 of the disability requirements already as set forth by social security) I am tired of being judged.

With that being said, I am not upset at anybody on this thread, but just needed to shed some light on not so visible disabilities.

I'll get off of my soap box now.

P.S. Now if I can just get the cruislines to realize that people with disabilities have families too and would like to be able to book a quad HC cabin. ;)

P.S. Now if I can just get the cruislines to realize that people with disabilities have families too and would like to be able to book a quad HC cabin. ;)

Amen to that! My wife is a paraplegic and we have two young daughters. It is pretty much near impossible to find a quad HC cabin and it's just as difficult to find a HC with a connecting cabin. Since our daughters are young, we cannot just book a cabin across the hall. It's very frustrating and generally more expensive for us since we have to book only certain arrangements and cannot look for "great deals".

Glenn

LittleBit: Bad Roz! Bad Roz! I'm so sorry for sounding "curt"! I get so defensive of my little girl. Can you imagine what kind of a mother I am to my children? No one dare do or say anything bad about or to them....I become the true embodiment of the "Mother Lion"!

I hope the following information is helpful:

The cabin on a ship would not be a good place to leave a service dog because of the movement/sounds etc. I take her with me to all meals and when I go to the pool I find a canopied area or umbrella to sit her under; I put her into a "down/stay" position and then I swim! I bring her portable water bowl and she's all set. I never leave her for a long time and I always remain in her sight. (She feels she needs to be able to alert me if there's an emergency). She has such a strong work ethic, it's hard to stop her and remind her to relax!

Again, I apologize and thank you so much for caring enough to ask good questions. Hopefully, one day maybe you'll get to cruise with "Brenda" the wonder dog! :)

Warmly,

Roz

Hi Roz, We have spoken about our wonder dogs before. Brenda and Valentine. When I travel I have her at my side at all times. I usually have several staff members ask to "babysit" with her while I go ashor however I have not taken advantage of it. Her vet and trainer told me that her bond with me is so strong that when she had to have her knee surgery I had to be there when she went to sleep and when she woke up. He was afraid that she would worry too much about me not being there and wouldn't heal properly. When we go to the beach this year we are taking a "sun tent" with a cooling pad for her to lay on to stay cool. Japanese chin's have a problem with heat exhaustion so I really have to keep a close I on her. I guess we are each other's life line. We will be spending 2 weeks in St Thomas this November and she just might learn to swim!

Maybe wheelchair-accessible rooms need to be designated as such. There are disabilities that do not require the use of a chair. For example, I have a friend that uses a brace and a cane to walk and is considered disabled. But even he admits he does not need a wheelchair cabin.

Thank-you for this... this is me. I have degenerative disks and spinal stenosis. Some days it affects me more than others and my crooked back walk and limping is more pronounced. I have had these problems since I was about 18 and have had all kinds of treatments starting with my back surgery at age 24. Maybe I should put a decal on the back of my SUV that says, "Want to see my back surgery scar?"

I do have a handicap tag as signed for by my doctor and met the medical requirements to get it. I own a SUV because it is at the right height for me to get in and out of without much struggle. I would most certainly love to have a little car that is great on gas, but I cannot get in them without falling into them... and getting out of them is a nightmare for me. I do get MANY dirty looks from people when I park in a HC spot and get out with my two kids. NOBODY knows how painful it is for me to walk and I do not appreciate being judged on my "appearance". I just feel that they take one look at me and figure that at my age I must have conned some doctor into signing the paperwork for my plate. I have many years experience in hiding my pain and do not like to show it.

One more pet peeve of mine... that some people feel that if you can move around and have a full-time job that you couldn't possibly be disabled. To those people I say... my body IS broken, but my MIND sure isn't. My employer gives me great freedom to do what I need to do at work to help with the pain. As long as I can push myself to go to work every day, I will not apply for Disability benefits. (btw... I do meet 2 of the disability requirements already as set forth by social security) I am tired of being judged.

With that being said, I am not upset at anybody on this thread, but just needed to shed some light on not so visible disabilities.

I'll get off of my soap box now.

I feel for you because I have exactly the same problem (different cause). I have Osteonecrosis (bone death). I've had 6 surgeries in the last 12 years including both hips replaced. I'm 48 and had my first replacement when I was 36. I, too, drive an SUV because I find it easier to get in and out of using the handle. I get the very same looks that you do.

Because hip replacements don't last forever and my doctor wants to limit the number of revisions I need, I must limit my walking. Some days I walk fine and some days you can see the pain and the limp. My knees are starting to go and I want to hold out as long as I can before I replace those.

I've even had people ask me what my handicap is. Some are nice and I do explain it but some are just rude. To those people I usually say it's mental and I go beserk when someone asks me stupid questions!

Valentine's Mom: It's good to hear from you. "Brenda" being the Lab that she is....loves the water! She has swam in many oceans, both foreign and domestic (with her extra long leash attached)! I'm afraid if she were not tethered she would head for the open seas!

When we're walking, on deck, she is so curious about the water below and always sticks her head over the side of the ship. I think in the future I will keep her life vest on when were out or when she has to toilet. I get too nervous just thinking of her in the ocean with no perserver! She's a true water dog and who knows what might attract her to just take that leap or if the ship makes a suddedn tilt!

You and "Valentine" should have a blast in St. Thomas (I love the shopping there, myself)!

I, too, drive an SUV, it's better for embarkation and debarkation and it gives me lots of space for my and Brenda's goodies!

To all of us who have a special need; enjoy your HC cabins; enjoy your cruises; park in those damn HC spaces with pride and "thumb" your noses at the glares and stares! :D

Love and Licks,

Roz

Maybe wheelchair-accessible rooms need to be designated as such. There are disabilities that do not require the use of a chair. For example, I have a friend that uses a brace and a cane to walk and is considered disabled. But even he admits he does not need a wheelchair cabin.

That is wonderful that your friend admits that he can get around well in a regular cabin. There are those of us who wish we could also get around as well in regular accommodations and are just not able to.

I would assume that having separate wheelchair cabins would mean that there would also need to be cabins for the blind, another set for those with assistance dogs, and then yet another set for those with other mobility impairments who do not require a wheel chair. I just can't see the cruislines putting out that kind of money, so that's why these cabins are called accessible so those with a variety of these problems can have access.

As a doctor told my mother, who also has back problems, once you go into a wheelchair you may never come out... keep walking as long as you can. ;)

I love this thread. I would like to see more threads on here about traveling with service dogs. My daughter received her service dog 3 weeks ago. We are new to this whole situation. In December we are cruising on the Sovereign doing a 4 night, 3 night and 4 night; all back to backs. I am nervous about how this will be with a service dog. She is a 60 pound golden retriever. Nassau is our only port. Could someone walk me thru what I need to do? Is anything different because we will be there 3 times? And may I ask how do you prepare your dog to accept a 4 foot square as a relief area? Currently "Suzanne" has our entire back yard. Any tips or insights are very much appreciated. I need all the info I can get. Thanks.

My husband's dog guide, Hugo, sailed with us last September on Mercury. He also had the box of wood chips described earlier. Because Seeing Eye trains the dogs to eliminate on command, we never had any trouble getting Hugo to use the box to do his business. Your daughter might try training Suzanne by walking her on leash to a spot and then pick a command (the Seeing Eye uses "park time") to use with her as she starts to go. Then praise her when she does. She also needs to get used to relieving herself on surfaces other than grass - concrete or wood chips or gravel. Hugo often has to "go" on concrete if we're at an airport or a downtown hotel that doesn't have a grassy area.

Definitely speak with the special needs department of your cruise line and also double check about whether or not Suzanne can enter and exit Nassau without restriction. I'm not sure of the restrictions there, but the only ports we've taken our dogs to have been those in US or in Canada where we know there's no problem. Some ports (I'm not at all familiar with Nassau) we wouldn't feel safe taking Hugo just because of the possibility of native dogs causing a problem.

I'm happy to answer any questions I can - we've cruised twice with dog guides and my husband travels for business all over the world.

a question for those with Service dogs -

if you can't take your dog of fhte ship with you (foreign port) or if you are concerned about other dogs in port- do you leave the dog in the cabin by himself? does someone stay with the dog? do you just not go into the port?

If the dog can't go with us, we don't go. Hugo's never left alone - even at home - and unless we were traveling with someone he knew we wouldn't leave him.

I saw your other posts as well and you've raised a legitimate question, but for my husband, it's not something he would ever do. Besides, with the stewards and all the other folks who might be coming into your cabin while you're away, having the dog in the cabin would not be a good thing either for the dog or for the staff. Some staff might not mind, but others would. Maybe if you had a crate for the dog to stay in if you weren't in your room, that might work. Of course, I'm trying to picture where there's room for a crate in a cabin!

hugosmom: In a handicapped cabin there is lots of room for a crate. But, I would NEVER leave my service dog in the cabin/hotel room alone. Our dog "Brenda" has NEVER been left alone, she's either with myself or my husband and that's just the way we like it. She works for me and loves him! He's always good for a "rub down"!

We are encouraged to leave her (to develop) her self assuredness and independence but you know what, I have never done it! Where I go, she goes! I adore her company! And, if she had any more self confidence we'd all be in trouble! :p

Celebrity provides a 4x4 wooden box filled with mulch, Princess provides the box filled with "dog litter absorbent paper pellets" (their preference) and we're told that NCL will provide the mulch. As long as it's not sand, Brenda will use it, upon my command: While she's on leash, I walk her into the box; give her command ("hurry") and really praise her when she's done! She's been trained not to go on sand because she was raised and trained in a beach community.

It's always a walk to the toileting area but we both can use the excerise and it allows me the opportunity to explore the ship! And, always make a new friend along the way! :)

Service dogs are amazing animals! They don't like making mistakes and are very anxious to please. Brenda would be devasted if she had a mistake! She gets very anxious when she thinks I've waited too long to toilet her. She sits straight up and stares at me; as if to say, "what the hell is the matter with you", can't you see I have to go"! She's only 6 years old.....I'm afraid she'll never handle old age well!

I so agree with you; if she can't go someplace - we don't go! ;)

Aren't we lucky to have these wonderful and amazing beings in our lives? She makes all the hurt go away! :D

Roz

hugosmom: In a handicapped cabin there is lots of room for a crate.

Aren't we lucky to have these wonderful and amazing beings in our lives? She makes all the hurt go away! :D

Roz

Oh, well, you see, we don't get a handicapped cabin.

And yes, indeed, we are blessed. Even though Hugo is my husband's dog, he "works" for me, too - just by being his sweet self.

My husband's dog guide, Hugo, sailed with us last September on Mercury. He also had the box of wood chips described earlier. Because Seeing Eye trains the dogs to eliminate on command, we never had any trouble getting Hugo to use the box to do his business. Your daughter might try training Suzanne by walking her on leash to a spot and then pick a command (the Seeing Eye uses "park time") to use with her as she starts to go. Then praise her when she does. She also needs to get used to relieving herself on surfaces other than grass - concrete or wood chips or gravel. Hugo often has to "go" on concrete if we're at an airport or a downtown hotel that doesn't have a grassy area.

Definitely speak with the special needs department of your cruise line and also double check about whether or not Suzanne can enter and exit Nassau without restriction. I'm not sure of the restrictions there, but the only ports we've taken our dogs to have been those in US or in Canada where we know there's no problem. Some ports (I'm not at all familiar with Nassau) we wouldn't feel safe taking Hugo just because of the possibility of native dogs causing a problem.

I'm happy to answer any questions I can - we've cruised twice with dog guides and my husband travels for business all over the world.

You do have to contact Nassau's concilate (sp) to get permision to bring a service animal off the ship. Be prepared to make many many phone calls and write several letters. We always have such a hard time getting a response from them. Basically they just want to make sure there is a reason to bring the dog ashore and that the shots are all up to date. I have seen very few dogs in the parts of Nassau that I have visited but I am always alert to any problems. Valentine is only 10 pounds so I have a handle on her service vest so I can grab her, out of harms way, at a moment's notice. She also rides in the basket on my skooter. I tell her that she is my precious hood ornament! We always bring dog litter and a box and we keep it in our room for her to relieve herself. Never had a problem except some of those men at the airport seem to think that it's something else but then again they never seem to want to check once I tell them it's dog litter. This stuff works great and has a pleasant smell too. She doesn't go outside much so has been using litter since about 8 weeks old. Works great:D

Valentine's Mom: What does Valentine do exactly? And, because she's so small it's truly easier for you to hold her on you lap, etc.

Brenda weighs 70lbs and was trained, initially, to pull children in their wheelchairs. But, she was so aggressive at the task and such a nosey dog that they changed her training to be a "Hearing Dog"! So, I'm really lucky, she has so many extra skills, like; opening doors and drawers, closing them and picking up things off the floor. I utilize all of her abilities on a daily basis! ;)

Canine Compainions for Independence used to train Corgy's to do the work that Brenda does but men didn't like them....they preferred a more masculine dog. So, here I am with my burly, pure black lab.

Roz

Valentine is a dog that can predict things like oncoming seizures, increase or decrease in blood sugar, migrain headaches, and she even woke me from a sound sleep for acid reflux. She knows long before I do and gives me a signal so I can alert the proper people or get the medication. Being little she is limited but can get my cell phone if I fall or something like that. She use to help me do laundry but I think she likes this too well. She would go in and get the dryer sheets and have a ball.

• 2 months later...

I have a not-so-obvious condition, arthritis. Not enough to truly disable me, but it can create some awkward moments. After sitting for more than a short time, I am always quite stiff when I get up and it takes a while to "loosen up". As a result of this, I was always walking very stiffly and slowly after our leisurely dinners on board the Carnival Valor last December. I suspect that many of my fellow passengers in our section of the dining room thought I was getting blotto every night:rolleyes: . I also need to use the handicapped stalls in the bathroom because I need to use the handrails....the ol' knees are pretty bad when it comes to the sitting down and standing up stuff. I am sure that many see me walking unaided into/out of the stall and wonder why I am using it. As so many other posters have stated....never judge by appearance.

Which reminds me of a story of a young boy I knew a few years back. He was born with heart problems and by the age of 12 had had many surgeries. After every surgery there would be a period of a few months that his mother would have a handicapped permit for her car since he wasn't allowed to walk long distances at first. One day at the mall a crass soul hassled him and his mom about why they had the permit. As his mother was about to jump all over this person, the boy simply raised his shirt...showing the neck to navel scarring....and said "lady, you can't always see what's wrong..." At least the woman had the decency to apologize.

"Scout" aka Carol

Dayton, OH

(who would much rather be lurching around a cruise ship at this time :p )

Carnival Valor~December 2005

I

DON'T MAKE THE MISTAKE of pre-judging anyone! If they pull into the handicap space or use a handicap cabin but are not in a wheelchair, don't assume they're able bodied! You may not see the scar that runs up their spine from 4 different spinal surgeries or the scar un their hair from brain surgery.........

Roz

This is so true!

My son, aged 33, has had an above-knee amputation of his right leg. While he has a prosthesis and walks well, without even needing a stick, he can not walk far. If he walks too far, his prosthesis rubs him raw where it bears his weight, in the groin, so he then has to spend days getting around on crutches.

He drives a (modified) car that looks a bit like a sports car, and he looks quite "normal" when walking with his prosthesis on. On a good day, you would wonder why this young guy driving a sports car parks in a HC spot , and he does get some rude looks and comments.

But he does need that HC spot, because the prosthetic leg does not bend easily and he needs more room to get in and out of the car. And also because he can't walk far without extreme discomfort. He is too proud to make an issue of it, and will park elsewhere if a HC parking spot is not available, sometimes causing the prosthesis to rub him raw.

On other occasions, if he encounters the driver who has parked in the HC spot, he will say: "You took my parking spot. Would you like my tin leg too?" And then he pulls up his trouser leg, and shows the metal!

My point is, I agree with Roz. Sometimes you cannot tell by their appearance if someone needs a little extra help.

Hi Roz' date=' We have spoken about our wonder dogs before. Brenda and Valentine. When I travel I have her at my side at all times. I usually have several staff members ask to "babysit" with her while I go ashor however I have not taken advantage of it. Her vet and trainer told me that her bond with me is so strong that when she had to have her knee surgery I had to be there when she went to sleep and when she woke up. He was afraid that she would worry too much about me not being there and wouldn't heal properly. When we go to the beach this year we are taking a "sun tent" with a cooling pad for her to lay on to stay cool. Japanese chin's have a problem with heat exhaustion so I really have to keep a close I on her. I guess we are each other's life line. We will be spending 2 weeks in St Thomas this November and she just might learn to swim![/quote']

Ladies, I might suggest you check on St Thomas before taking your dogs ashore. It's been a few years since I've been down there but dog and cock fighting were still legal. Yes, in the American Virgin Islands. You're safe in Puerto Rico but not the USVI.

I'm learning a ton here as I am training my own service dog now. She's a willful, huggable golden/labrador mix that will turn 6 months on our next cruise. The idea of leaving her at a kennel drives me nuts but she is not ready for prime time yet.

Hi there....this is Mrs. Rick St.

I'm a 52 yr old female who is homebound and disabled. I've had 2 cervical fusions and 1 lumbar fusion all within a 8 mth period. I received my disability based on Severe Degenerative Disc Disease,Severe Osteoarthritis and Peripheral Neuropathy in neck,lower back and legs . I also have Fibromyalgia and a 'bundle of nerve roots' at L4-L5 (lower back) which Radiologist (8/8/06 MRI) defined as Arachnoidtis and a cervical disc at C7-T1 pressing on a nerve.

I use a rollator (walker with 4 wheels, handbrakes and a seat) prescribed by my Neurosurgeon who also filled out the forms for a permanent handicapped license plate, whenever I leave the house which is only on the weekends as my husband is a truck driver. I cannot drive because I'm unable to turn my neck to the left.

We are cruising on the Caribbean Princess on 10/29/06 and no did not book a handicapped room. We have a Mini-Suite right by the elevator. My Neurosurgeon will be giving me a Cervical and Lumbar Epidural Steriod Injection on 10/20 praying I will be able to enjoy our cruise. We are booked on bus excursions at St. Thomas and St. Marteen.

We live in a very small town and there are no public/private swimming pools or hot tubs. I am SO looking forward to using the hot tub.

If you didn't see me using the rollator, I would look probably look normal unless it was a day when everything decided to be a nuisance:D

About 4 weeks ago the dang nuisance became quite severe to the point I couldn't even talk; however, I struggled through it from Friday - Sunday and managed to get to a tolerable level.

I see the 'glares' some people make when my husband pulls our van into a handicapped parking space and gets out before he has a chance to come over to the passenger side of the van and open up the sliding door and pulls out my rollator. I just ignore it, but oh sometimes it makes me want to cry because it's not the life I wanted to live.

Thanks for letting Vent.

Hugs To Ya!

Claudia:)

Claudia: You are a strong/brave/warrior woman! Stay that way!!!!!!

Don't let anyone or anything get you down!

Life has a way of playing it's tricks on us....be ready....and know that you are not alone!

If he brought you to it.....he will get you through it!

Love and Good Wishes!

Roz

A handicapped person can look just like you! I have Scleroderma and as a result of that I have severe muscle and joint pain and stiffness, degenerative joint disease, degenerative disc disease, asthma, heart problems, severe stomach problems, raynaulds syndrome, I could go on but I think you get the idea. With all of these problems I think the worst one is that I "look" normal. So when I park in handicapped spaces I get the "looks" also, and when I get up from sitting for any period of time I can barely move, and I always walk much slower than others. Even though I am in constant pain I look just like anyone else, so please be kind to everyone because you have no idea what they are feeling.

If it's not obvious to your eyes, (if you're lucky to have good vision), what a handicapped person looks like? Think!

• Could they have MD or MS and it's not really visible, except when they try to get up from a chair or walk without shaking and loosing their balance?

• Could they be deaf with MS and get dizzy with great frequency and require rails and bars to help themselves up from the toilet?

• Could they have degenerating discs in their spine or weakened bones in their feet and legs but still they walk and make every effort to look whole?

DON'T MAKE THE MISTAKE of pre-judging anyone! If they pull into the handicap space or use a handicap cabin but are not in a wheelchair, don't assume they're able bodied! You may not see the scar that runs up their spine from 4 different spinal surgeries or the scar un their hair from brain surgery.........

Roz

Over 15 years ago I made a speech on hidden handicaps - history of grand mal epilepsy and somewhat of a hearing loss put me in uncomfortable situations at times. Little did I know that I would have 3 strokes in less than 5 months. (my veins are allergic to my blood, causing clots) Strokes were small, but left me with enough brain damage where I had to retire from my job, no longer drive a car and get around thanks to a great electric wheelchair and pretty good buses where I live. I have had a lot of people glare at my daughter when she pulls into a handicap zone, but rather enjoy the blush I see when she comes around the car and helps me out. On good days I can get by with just my cane for short distances but on cruises it is safer for me to use a walker. When I went to make my reservation I noticed that handicapped rooms (all 5 of them) were quite a bit cheaper but since I will not be traveling with my chair I took a standard stateroom. I am traveling alone, but the cruiseline found me a roommate. We are made for each other I think. She is a recent widow and used to dealing with the handicapped. To look at me I look fine, but if I get tired I am a cross between Berniece from Designing Women and Sophia from Golden Girls. I have never seen anything in print on how MSC Opera treats their handicapped - will tell y'all when I get back from my QVC cruise.

jeri

Ladies, I might suggest you check on St Thomas before taking your dogs ashore. It's been a few years since I've been down there but dog and cock fighting were still legal. Yes, in the American Virgin Islands. You're safe in Puerto Rico but not the USVI.

I'm learning a ton here as I am training my own service dog now. She's a willful, huggable golden/labrador mix that will turn 6 months on our next cruise. The idea of leaving her at a kennel drives me nuts but she is not ready for prime time yet.

I have taken my service dog with me to St Thomas 4 times and will be there again in about 2 weeks. I'm sure that ther are all of those alful things going on (probably in our ouwn backyard if we looked hard enough) I always make sure that her shots are up dated and this time she will be riding around in her own doggie luggage. The part she hates is that I have a cool suit for her to wear to help keep her temp down. Chins are very suseptable to heat strokes. Everyone loves to see us and are surprised to see us wheeling down the street. I am very careful with her and never let any one pet her an Never let her out of my sight. She means the world to me an I'd protect her with my life.

Archived