Amsterdam Port/Century

Is there more than 1 port in Amsterdam? Does the Century leave from a Port called Rotterdam next year or from the city Rotterdam? My TA says that Rotterdam is the name of the port in Amsterdam. I am confused and need to make flight arrangements but want to make sure I leave enough time to get to the airport. Where am I leaving from next summer? And how much time to I need to get there?

Is there more than 1 port in Amsterdam? Does the Century leave from a Port called Rotterdam next year or from the city Rotterdam? My TA says that Rotterdam is the name of the port in Amsterdam. I am confused and need to make flight arrangements but want to make sure I leave enough time to get to the airport. Where am I leaving from next summer? And how much time to I need to get there?

The sailing next year of Century is from the port and city Rotterdam.

(Nothing to do with Amsterdam).

Maybe Celebrity thinks people are not familiar with the name Rotterdam as much as Amsterdam. Besides the best flightconnection will be to Amsterdam, Rotterdam has mainly a few flights to London and some inter europa charterflights.

Rotterdam is about 1 hour south from Amsterdam by car or train. From Amsterdam airport (Schiphol) it is about 45 minutes.

Rotterdam has a small airport - north of the city - about 15 minutes from the port.

The cruiseterminal is on a small island in the river, next to Hotel New York that used to be HAL's headoffice.

Walking distance from metro and tramconnections to Rotterdam Central Station.

For more info about Rotterdam:http://www.vvv.rotterdam.nl/uk/

If it is on a sunday you might, but on others days it can be a problem. The ship must be in real early.

Traffic between Rotterdam and Amsterdam during rushhours can be awful.

It can last twice as long....

Besides security at the airport wants people for USA flights at least 2 hours but even better 3 hours before deprature for checkin..

If you can have a later flight, it will be much better.

Which sailing are you on? We are on the 14th August this year and the we leave from the PTA Veemkade terminal in Amsterdam, right next to the main rail station! Nowhere near Rotterdam....

Here you can look up your ship to see if it is scheduled for Amsterdam:

www.ptamsterdam.nl/site/eng-kalender.php

Regards,

latindancer62

Rotterdam harbour is the largest container port is northern europe, plus the largest oil terminal in northern europe. This is why some of the cruise lines like to use Rotterdam when they call at the Netherlands - they can dock at a harbour with comprehensive facilities available.

Rotterdam as a city is quite large, but is also very modern (at least, the centre is): it was greatly damaged during the war and was rebuilt afterwards. However, it conains a number of good modern buildings, art galleries, theatres, etc. Anywhere else it would be quite a good tourist destination, but unfortunately for it, it is surrounded by even more attractive cities & towns to the north (Amsterdam, the Hague, Utrecht, etc) and to the south (Bruges, Antwerp, etc).

There are excellent rail services from Rotterdam to all parts of the Netherlands including Amsterdam, The Hague, and Schiphol airport which has its own (major) station. Here's a link to the Dutch railway system website:-

http://www.ns.nl/pages/index.html

Then click on 'English' at the top of the page. If you do a search for train times, you'll find that there are frequent quite fast trains from Rotterdam to Schiphol; about 45 minutes or so, by the look of it. Schiphol station is actually in the airport terminal buildings. I don't know where Rotterdam station is in relation to the docks, however, nor how to get there.

Just to confuse things: some cruise lines actually go to Amsterdam, not Rotterdam. There is a cruise terminal on the edge of the city centre in Amsterdam.

In 2006 Century sails from Amsterdam, but in 2007 it will be Rotterdam.

The trainstation in Rotterdam is not walkable distance to the cruise terminal.

You need transportation. There is a metro and tram to the big white Erasmusbridge close to the terminal (but both not recommended with luggage!), and then walk for about 5 minutes.

Therefore a cab is best.

Archived