Playa del carmen questions??

randykaye

We are stopping in Playa on the Celebration, don't really want to pay for an excursion here, any suggestions of where to go to just enjoy beautiful beach? I know it is a public beach, but where do you go to that has chairs, umbrellas, etc.. maybe a bar or food too! restrooms!! a must

Has anyone heard about or been to Mamitas Beach club? We aren't really interesting in walking around old ruins, doesn't sound fun to me, we just want beach, sun and drinks, a nice relaxing day!! thanks for your help!!

Hi Randy, welcome to the board. Your best bet would be to:

Go to the top of this page and click on "Cruise Critic Message Boards".

Then click on "Ports-of-Call".

Then scroll down to "Playa del Carmen".

TONS of info there for you - all about PdC. :)

There are chairs/umbrellas for rent right at the public beach. Also, it is very close to shops, restaurants, and bars, and I've seen people being waited on there. It really is a pretty beach! Do as Cotton suggested, though, for pricing, etc.

that you are going to. When we were on the Celebration in March of this year we went to Calica and could take a taxi (our own cost) if we wanted to go to Playa Del Carmen. Just wanted you to know that you may not actually end up in Playa, and that you may have to pay a few bucks to get there. There is nothing at the pier in Calica, so if you end up there either stay on the ship or plan to spend some money to go somewhere. Calica is an actual rock quarry with no beach (or anything else) there.

Randy,

we were on the Celebration last July and you will dock in Calica. We did not book an exsursion through the ship and I am glad we didn't. When we got off at the port there were several venders with private excursions that you could do. we chose one that was 20.00 per person and included roundtrip transportation to a beautiful beach, 2 chairs, and umbrella, and two free drinks of our choice. We LOVED the beach and I am sorry to say that I do not remeber the name of it. There was another family that did the same excursion and they said that it was their third time to do it and that the vender had been there every time so hopefully you won't have a problem finding them. The vender was a lady and she had a big picture poster of the beach. Good Luck! We would have loved to have gone to Playa this time on the Elation instead of Progresso.

This is a very nice beach club just north of town. You could walk there easily in about 10 minutes, you walk past the Porto Real and the new pier they are building. We stay in Playa del Carmen alot and this beach club is just south of the Shangri La, where we stay. It's bit quieter on this section of the beach. You really can hang out anywhere on the beach in Playa del Carmen.

Here's a picture:

Image-8624587257CC11D7.jpg

StacyM:

Saw your reply regarding the private excursion off dock in Calica. My question is: on your $20.00 pp excursion, did the place you go to have a place to eat also? Thanks for your help.

Randykay,

I saw your post on the Texas Cruisers thread. We are cruising on 7/25 out of Galveston on the Elation. We'll just be a few waves ahead of you. We're originally from Palestine too!

Have a great cruise!

Kay

Archived