Shoes for 13 yo son

on non-formal nights? My son will be wearing Khaki pants and polo shirts on non-formal nights on our 5 night cruise. Would nice, clean sneakers be inappropriate? He will have his black dress shoes with him that he is wearing on formal night. Thanks in advance!

Well, your son certainly wouldn't be alone if he wore them. However, I think he's old enough to start realizing that runners don't go with everything.

When my son turned 10, I started buying "nice" casual shoes (like topsiders or soft-leather loafers) to go with khakis. He's used to it now, but like everything with kids, it takes time to get them on board.

(I figured I'd rather deal with a 10-year old than with a sullen teenager. Teenagers are less easily distracted...)

I always buy my son black sneakers to wear for dinner each night on our cruise. They are good enough to wear with his suit, and casual enough for the rest of the nights.

* I am not talking black Vans either. They have a bit of a shine to them*

I let my teenage boys wear good, clean, new trainers on the casual nights.

On Informal and Formal they wear black leather shoes - I normally try to work it though that they need some new school shoes, so that they take them new on the cruise and can at least wear them for school afterwards.

I guess I should clarify my sneaker statement. This is what I buy my son to wear and according to the Kohls website they are dress shoes. They also happen to be on sale right now for 50% off.

http://www.kohls.com/products/product_page_vanilla2.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=237768599&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=200992387&bmUID=1152827421541

Archived