Scared to cruise b/c of sea sickness

Redalert

I love to cruise and I am trying to talk one of my good friends into going with me. Problem is she gets sick easy! She went on a dinner cruise on a lake and barfed for 5 hours non stop. I thought the boat hardly moved- there was no way she can handle a cruise without some help.

If anyone has any similar experiences or helpful hints, I woudl be grateful. My email is radabaaj@bp.com

Hi RedAlert:

I am also prone to sea sickness and car sick, But i love to cruise. I found this wonderful stuff that you can buy over the counter, its called Bonine. You can find it at any CVS or Walmart. I took one every morning and never got sick. This stuff is amazing. Hope this helps!

Hi Redalert:

I am prone to car sickness, etc. I also have an inner ear imbalance, which made me very nervous on my first cruise.

Although I have heard of people feeling queezy when there are very big swells - I have only felt a little queezy once, when we had 8 foot swells, and even then I just had a drink of the day and was fine!

I have brought everything that everyone suggests (wristbands, patches behind the ear, etc), but never had to use any of them on two different cruises.

I don't know if your friend should compare a lake dinner cruise with cruise ships as far as feeling sick. The large ships are much more stable.

Hope everything goes well!

Kim.

I have been prone to sea sickness before I started cruising. I have been very pleased with the dr. presribed "patch behind the ear". No sickness even in large swells. Maybe it is also psychological, but I put it on the day before the cruise and keep replacing it every 3 days as prescribed. I feel that for the price and time of the vacation used, I wasn't going to take a chance and wait to see if I got sea sick.

If you thought the boat hardly moved & she was getting sick, you probably should leave her to enjoy a nice land based vacation. How horrible are you going to feel if you drag her into this & she's miserable the whole time?

I have gotten sea sick on dinner cruise sized boats but not little boats. I could feel the ship moving on my cruise but didn't get sick. I attribute that to all the 24-hour dramamine I took every day.

I love to cruise and I am trying to talk one of my good friends into going with me. Problem is she gets sick easy! She went on a dinner cruise on a lake and barfed for 5 hours non stop. I thought the boat hardly moved- there was no way she can handle a cruise without some help.

If anyone has any similar experiences or helpful hints, I woudl be grateful. My email is radabaaj@bp.com

I'm affected by motion sickness -- not as bad as your friend -- and can feel naseous riding as a passenger in a car. Don't even get me started about amusement park rides. :p

My suggestion is for your friend to book a cruise on one of the larger ships, like the Voyager-class ships or the new Freedom of the Seas (largest in the world) from Royal Carribean. She should get a cabin on a lower deck and in the middle of the ship. You feel more motion the higher up you are and the towards the back or front.

Also, re-assure your friend that modern-day cruise ships all have built-in stabilizers to reduce motion. You can still feel a little bit of motion sometimes but nothing compared to a smaller vessel with no stabilization at all. Half the time on board I forgot I was even on a cruise ship.

And Bonamine will be her friend. I started taking it two days before we left on our first cruise last month aboard the Mariner of the Seas and religiously took it daily while on board. I had absolutely no problems with seasickness, even on the last day or so when we ran into rough seas with Tropical Storm Alberto fast on our heels in the Caribbean.

Show your friend this thread and hopefully it'll change her mind. Maybe book a short three- or four-night cruise first just to try it out.

Good luck!

If your friend is that prone to motion sickness, I do not recommend a cruise for her. My mother had no problems in the past with motion sickness on short harbor cruises in recent years, or cruising the inside passage on the Alaska Ferries years ago, but she does occasionally get car sick. When I took her on a cruise in December, she had major problems. I made her get a prescription before the cruise, I made her start taking it before we even got on the ship. Of course, the first 2 days of our cruise we had extremely rough seas, and even with taking the pills in advance she was miserable. Even resorting to all the tricks I know, such as ginger candies, moving to a lower deck, keeping her stomach full, etc. only made things slightly better. Even after the seas calmed down, she was still not having the greatest of times.

taminator

<<<<My suggestion is for your friend to book a cruise on one of the larger ships, like the Voyager-class ships or the new Freedom of the Seas (largest in the world) from Royal Carribean. She should get a cabin on a lower deck and in the middle of the ship. You feel more motion the higher up you are and the towards the back or front.>>>

the above is true but you must remember that she is not going to spend the week in the cabin ---------meals and entertainment take place on upper decks at either end of the ship --- anything that takes place on the ship will be on a higher deck

Archived