Alaska Cruise/Excursion comments July 2-9 -- the good, bad and ugly

ChrisC

I was on the same cruise and we did have local experts board the ship at Hubbard Glacier. They gave us a lot of information. Also the concierge would point things out to us as we sailed by. There was way too much jewelry hawking, but since we cruise so seldom, I didn't know any better.

We could barely hear the local guides while we were at Hubbard because our TV was not playing the audio broadcast. We got the scoop at dinner to what was said but other than that, there was a few 8am programs available to learn about some of the ports but only 8AM.

The PD's video loop of each port only focused on the shopping. There was a channel that provided information on excursions but only 1 or 2. We only had 5 TV channels that worked because our TV was broken and they could not get it to work when they went to swap it out, they didn't have a key to unlock it from the swivel mount (who steals crusie ship TVs?)

I was on the same cruise and we did have local experts board the ship at Hubbard Glacier. They gave us a lot of information. Also the concierge would point things out to us as we sailed by. There was way too much jewelry hawking, but since we cruise so seldom, I didn't know any better.

Many other cruise lines have a Naturalist through out the entire cruise (who does several lectures and is available through out the week), they have park rangers come aboard for Glacier Bay and other speakers come onboard in the ports.

My first cruise to Alaska was on RCCL - I don't mean to bash RCCL but they are really missing the target here in Alaska. I was amazed when I switched lines - how much more Princess did (and from what I understand, HAL does also). There really isn't a comparison when it comes to topics on Alaska.

Gary.........

I read you post with great interest......My first cruise to Alaska is in Aug 2006.

I have completed 26 cruises on RCI, Carnival, NCL, Celebrity, Costa, and Princess. My son also worked for Princess for 3yrs.

If I read correctly you have done 2 Carnival to Mexican Caribbean and RCI to Alaska.

May I make some personal comments.......

People like to comparisons from ship to ship but that can be misleading.

I do not feel that comparing a Mexican Riveria to Alaska is apples to apples nor do I feel Carnival or RCI are on the same level.

The type of passengers will be very differant on a Mexican cruise versus a Alaska cruise as will the activities offered.

I have completed 5 Carnival and doubt I will go back. While I enjoyed them I do not feel they offer the same level of service on many levels that other ships do.

As far as service goes....you also can't compare one RCI to another RCI because each ship can be differant based on the employees at the time.

When I sailed with my son while he was on contract I go to know many employees and be behind the scenes. While they appear hard working and friendly they too are human and have homesickness, medical issues and relationship problems that can affect their level of service not unlike people who we encounter at home.

I have read flaming reviews from people who had a bad experience with their room steward and it ruied their entire trip and they will never sail RCI again.

On my 25 cruises I have had great, not so great and mediocore employees but never did I let it dampen my experience.

Lets talk about money....tough subject.

Since this is my first Alaskan cruise and I am in rate shock. But I know I have to expect to pay more. $13,000 would have never been in my price range.

Having said that brings me to a popular topic on these board that as prices have dropped in recent years some people of lesser finacial status are able to cruise. Many people feel that Carnival and NCL are getting a larger mix of lower socioeconomic groups cruising who they feel lessen the experience with their mammer of dress and demeanor.

If this is tru than someone of you obvious social status.......all first class travel, expensive hotels, freq traveler all amex type activity...I am amazed at you being happy on Carnival......

Sounds like you need to skip over Celebrity and get to Crystal.

Cruising has also changed immensly in recent years. Mote families and younger cruisers are going. They do not have the same expectations as the cruiser of 20 yrs ago. Ships are getting large and offering more which costs more. With prices dropping they need to make money elsewhere. I have always been showered with advertisement for the "junk" on board. Now we have the extras like ice cream and specialtiey resturants they people see as nickel and diming. They are still optional.

As for what you pay....I have always booked 1 year out......its a win/win situation. You get the cabin you want and if the price goes down you get that too.

Bargains are available you just have to search for them.

You can buy independant insurance that covers your independant air and they are cheaper than cruislines.

I think you have a lot to learn about cruising in general but boy is it fun. I also suggest you try many differant cruise lines.

Don't feel bad about the flamming.......you are entitled to you opinion and if you weren't happy its okay to tell us but making comparisons and generalizations is what gets people dander up because they have had their own experiences.

FYI......many RCI fans feel the Radiance class of ships, which includes the Serenade are the best so far for RCI.

I hope you try RCI again and many other lines.

Good luck!

Why are so many people bothered by how much Gary spent on his cruise? He isn't, and he is the one who paid.

All he did was list the good, the bad and the ugly just like the original poster stated to do. Everyone will have different experiences, and we as cruisers need to hear both sides not just the good.

Someone said he sounded like a "snob" - I don't think so. He was clear about what he didn't like, but he was very appreciative about the things he did like. I for one loved the excursions when I went to Alaska - that was the highlight.

I thought this board was for us to share experiences and comments - NOT bash posts/posters we don't agree with.

Gary - I think you've been very understanding and a gentleman in the responses you've given to some of the not so nice comments. Cruise whichever cruise line you want - it's your choice!

Gary - I think you've been very understanding and a gentleman in the responses you've given to some of the not so nice comments.

Actually, the real gentleman on this thread has been ChrisC, who was the original poster. Garyhartaz has completely usurped and taken over this thread, and ChrisC has been most gracious and polite about it. Chris, thank you for your original review.

Thanks for your review....I am going on this cruise next year on Princess. I am lookong at some of the tours you took. There are several on line sites that you could check for different prices next time you go. I can't mention them but look to search with the words value center or best price with the word cruises. Good luck! It must have been nice to go first class for the entire trip.

I do agree with a lot of what you said about RCL. I just got back from the Rhapsody and although it was tons better than the Granduer the buffet is the same ole same ole. I like Princess much better and also enjoyed my one Celebrity cruise.

Why are so many people bothered by how much Gary spent on his cruise? He isn't, and he is the one who paid.

Straight from Gary himself:

"Final thoughts-

This was a disappointing holiday from a service and value standpoint."

Value was one of the BIGest problems with his cruise. :confused:

Wow, what a thread.

First, I'd like to thank everyone who has posted their experience/review of the sailing. 20 to 25 foot waves on an Alaskan sailing? Who would ever think that. Our two sailings have been smooth as glass. We had 18 to 20 foot waves on our E. Caribbean cruise and that was enough to put my back side in bed. I'm glad I told our travel companions (first time cruisers) that a little meclizine or the scopolamine patch might not be a bad idea.....just in case.

As far as Gary's opinion, it's his and his alone. He has the right to it despite what anyone else might think. I have to say that if I spent the kind of money he had, I'd be disappointed with any RCI cruise I've taken so far. While I've always enjoyed the food and service on RCI, I've always put it in the context of what I've paid for it. With that kind of money on the table I'd be expecting Crystal cruise lines standards of service and food.

Gary,

The big difference between you and I is that I can afford to book several months out. In fact, I generally have idea's of where we want to cruise and book them shortly after RCI releases them. For instance, I booked Alaska for this year over 400 days out. My costs are considerably less than yours were because I booked so far out and because I'm traveling in shoulder season (Sept. 1-8). The breakdown is $2,676.40 for a Junior Suite balcony cabin, $152.25 for insurance (covers the air as well), $558.96 for hotels (1 night Radison Kansas City, 1 night pre-cruise Doubletree Seatac, 3 nights post cruise Springhilll suites Downtown Seattle), $40 airfare AW (used FF miles flying coach class), Prepaid excursions $745 (we've been to Alaska twice, didn't try to go all out), tipping $140 for two (minimum could be more) and transfers for two $60. Total (so far) is $4,372.61.

Of course there are some differences. We don't travel first class (airfare would have run around $600 coach if not for FF miles), I've booked two of our hotels as 3 star hotels via Hotwire, we've booked shoulder season, I've booked Springhill Suites and will use their shuttle service rather than the Marriott Waterfront and we booked very early. $5,800 for an E1 balcony would have made me spit coffee all over my phone, computer screen or TA. For any sailing on RCI that is an outlandish price. RCI should be ashamed of themselves for asking that but, hey, they got it didn't they? Of course it doesn't sound as if you'll be returning anytime soon and you did drop so serious $$ on additional services.

While we will both experiece similar cruises on RCI, my point of view as far as value goes will be considerably different from yours. NOT that there is anything wrong with yours or how you choose to travel, book and pay for your cruise. Some proffesions don't allow for distant planning as mine does. Others just have to understand that your perspective will be vastly different from some who has paid less than $5,000 vs what you've paid. Your posting actually make me feel privledged that I can afford to take similar trips as you, sail in a higher cabin grade and yet pay far less than what you had to pay yet enjoy the same benefits.

Booking last minute (6 weeks out) for an Alaskan cruise during the busy summer months is always going to be pricey. Essentially, you paid for a Crystal cruise and got RCI. I'd have been very let down by the experience vs. the cost myself and can clearly see your point of view. The question is, if you had only paid $6,000 all in, would the experience have matched your expectations then?

Everyone neds to remember that experiences and expectations will be different for each of us. It's the differences in opinions that allow us to form our own opinion when trying to make choices, good bad and ugly.

Doug...I agree alot with your comments......I don't think posters on this thread were as unhappy with the negative respones but that the OP is very new to cruising and can learn from some of his decisions..... I think we forget that the seasoned cruisier and cruisecritic readers are far above the average cruiser in knowledge and experience.

We tend to be critical of others because had they just "done their homework" they would have had a better outcome. Many people don't know they should "do their homework" to take a cruise.

I believe the level of service and quality of food has decreased over the recent years as ships are getting bigger.

BUT I still think its a great vacation and when I compare prices I compare to the same services at a land based spot which always seem to cost me considerably more.

I know this is a little off subject, but I've been thinking about getting a Capitol One card & from your reply it sounds like it's worth it. You stated you got a free airline ticket & a free night at a hotel. Is it worth getting another credit card? Thanks!!

Hi,

It is my understanding that the NCL MBNA Mastercard is the best in the cruise industry with the best % back. Their whole process was extremely efficient. I have a Capital One, but don't use it as much because the reimbursement rate isn't as high. I also have a Citibank which caps out at $500 cash back. With the Capital One, things have changed since May, 2006, and now it takes more points to get a flight. So, my strategy is to use Citibank for the cash back and then designate that money to airfare and put most expenses on the NCL MBNA card. I could get just as much cash back, but then I would likely spend it on regular things and rarely get to cruise. All of my cards are no annual fee.

BTW, to add to the discussion, I agree with the thought that more middle/lower socio economic sorts are cruising now. I had never looked into cruising until I noted that some of my FREE AND REDUCED LUNCH STUDENTS were going on cruises. I discovered cruising can be a bargain. I also noted on cruises that the big/middle class cruise lines were not a place to flaunt high end fashion. It seems best that people know where they are on the socio-economic scales and choose a vacation that matches their own rather than having unrealistic expectations of cruise lines best suited for the hard working middle class who will never know what first class feels like. I bet I enjoyed my cruise on NCL Sun to Alaska every bit as much as someone who paid ten times what I did!

Donna

........ I had never looked into cruising until I noted that some of my FREE AND REDUCED LUNCH STUDENTS were going on cruises.........

If this is true then it really chaps my hind end that our tax dollars are essentially subsidizing these families cruise vacations. While I agree that all families need to take some sort of vacation, when we were struggling the furthest thing from my mind was taking a cruise vacation. Instead, it was a borrowed tent, hot dogs, hamburgers and fishing poles. If a family can afford to cruise, then they should be able to afford to pay for their childrens daily food.

Maybe, just maybe I'm over reacting and it's other family members (grandparents mayber) actually footing the bill for this.

Hi,

IIt is my understanding that the NCL MBNA Mastercard is the best in the cruise industry with the best % back. Their whole process was extremely efficient. I have a Capital One, but don't use it as much because the reimbursement rate isn't as high.

Donna

I stopped using my MBNA for foreign cruises because they charge a 3% "foreign transaction fee" that really adds up! We sail Oceania frequently, and while based in Miami, Oceania uses an Irish bank to process their credit card payments. I first noticed this when I used my MBNA to pay for an Oceania cruise and encountered a $300+ "foreign transaction fee". Fortunately, I caught it in time and was able to have them credit my MBNA account and charge my Capital One card.

Very few credit cards don't charge this onerous fee, but Capital One is one that doesn't. To me, it's a no-brainer to use my Capital One card on any cruise or trip that entails foreign travel.

Mike

If this is true then it really chaps my hind end that our tax dollars are essentially subsidizing these families cruise vacations. While I agree that all families need to take some sort of vacation, when we were struggling the furthest thing from my mind was taking a cruise vacation. Instead, it was a borrowed tent, hot dogs, hamburgers and fishing poles. If a family can afford to cruise, then they should be able to afford to pay for their childrens daily food.

Maybe, just maybe I'm over reacting and it's other family members (grandparents mayber) actually footing the bill for this.

AMEN! We work very, very hard to make every dime yet my sister-in-law who is not near us on the economical rung believes she and her three girls are entitled to the very same holidays my wife and I take all the while she accepts the school meal program and owes us so much in loans that it is pathetic. I agree, a tent, some poles, hot dogs and there you have it!

Archived