Sunrise and Sunset photos

Do you prefer sunrises or sunsets?  

844 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer sunrises or sunsets?

• I prefer sunrises.
    • I prefer sunsets.
    • I enjoy both equally.

Not a problem - The pics are available to all for use on this site. All I ask is to be cited as the original photographer.:)

Hey TexBear - I like your pictures - but I couldn't help myself to "play" with one.

I hope you don't mind?

And I hope you like it!

TexBear's sunset:

2004416308556490585_rs.jpg

Anybody want to guess what and where this picture is from??

2005831140107997853_rs.jpg

Char that's a very nice sunset!

The above photo is shot across San Fransisco bay late at night - the lights are the airport with a plane taking off trailing across the sky (hand braced 8 second exposure). It's fog bank moving in on the left and behind.

I have a lot of sunsets/sunrises - probably too many. I guess when I run out of ones to post I'll have to go take some more cruises for more material. :rolleyes:

Sunset leaving Galveston on Rhapsody in 2002. I like a-tx-brit's Cuba sunset a lot better.

2006037554897617319_rs.jpg

A stunning shot, a-tx-brit!

What's "NO P.P."?

What program did you use to reduce the noise?

What camera and lense?

[image]

Image Description =

Make = SONY

Model = DSC-H5

Orientation = top/left

Date Time = 2006-09-13 18:42:50

[Camera]

Exposure Time = 1/1000"

F Number = F5.6

Exposure Program = Normal program

ISO Speed Ratings = 125

2951822520055006582WCtKlu_th.jpg

Double Click on this to open all shots of this outstanding sunset. Of course, I Missed most of dinner. Al least it wasn't LOBSTER night! ( No noise reduction!)

2951822520055006582WCtKlu_th.jpg

Double Click on this to open all shots of this outstanding sunset. Of course, I Missed most of dinner. Al least it wasn't LOBSTER night! ( No noise reduction!)

Outstanding sequence. While the touched up photos are nice, I prefer natural shots such as these. Thanks.

[image]

Image Description =

Make = SONY

Model = DSC-H5

Orientation = top/left

Date Time = 2006-09-13 18:42:50

[Camera]

Exposure Time = 1/1000"

F Number = F5.6

Exposure Program = Normal program

ISO Speed Ratings = 125

( No noise reduction!)

OK - It's a beautiful sunset. A beautiful set, too. Thanks you for the info.

Webshots (your image host) full size max is 2400x1600 and you camera max is 3072 x 2304 but I still assume no cropping was done. I wonder what your image parameters were Natural or Vivid?

I see a SONY DSC-H5 has an effective 36-432mm equiv (12x) zoom with image stabilization (Super SteadyShot® optical image stabilization). I would assume your focal length is toward the max since the sun is so large.

Outstanding sequence. While the touched up photos are nice, I prefer natural shots such as these. Thanks.

So my question (with all due respect) is what is a natural shot? Do tweaks after a shot make it less natural than tweaks during? Zooms, filters, image stabilization, preset scene settings, differing exposure to change blur, depth of field, etc. - are they natural? Our eyes makes more adjustments to a view than most cameras can. A-tx-brit's beautiful shot has very little noise but I'm betting it got adjusted somewhere. By the camera, downloading software or specialized programs - some enhancements are being done. I have stood next to many other digital cameras taking the same shots and am amazed at how different (and enhanced) many cameras are.

So my question (with all due respect) is what is a natural shot? Do tweaks after a shot make it less natural than tweaks during? Zooms, filters, image stabilization, preset scene settings, differing exposure to change blur, depth of field, etc. - are they natural? Our eyes makes more adjustments to a view than most cameras can. A-tx-brit's beautiful shot has very little noise but I'm betting it got adjusted somewhere. By the camera, downloading software or specialized programs - some enhancements are being done. I have stood next to many other digital cameras taking the same shots and am amazed at how different (and enhanced) many cameras are.

Point well taken. There are lots of folks on the various photo threads, yourself included, who know a lot more about this stuff than I. Just keep the photos coming.

... A-tx-brit's beautiful shot has very little noise but I'm betting it got adjusted somewhere. By the camera, downloading software or specialized programs ...

The Sony DSC H5 at ISO 125 is probably the native sensitivity for the sensor which means there is not significant amplification at the sensor level. The superzooms will produce generally great results at the base setting, but noise and image quality degrades quickly as ISO increases. My 8MP K-M A2 has DSLR quality at ISO 100, but noise starts to appear at 200 and by 800 it's not good for much more than grainy B&W shots (which come out pretty cool, actually!)

You are correct in assuming that the camera does some noise reduction as it is processing the raw image into a JPEG and some cameras handle that better than others. So a "natural" shot, to me, is one where the camera settings, saturation, sharpening etc. were set to normal and the images were posted with no alteration other than re-sizing.

Most downloading software does no image processing, I use Picasa to unload my cards and it does nothing to the image other than copy it. The last thing I would want is some algorithm taking a SWAG at what my pictures should look like!

This moonlit image is "natural" via my previously stated criteria:

large.jpg

the exif is:

Make - KONICA MINOLTA

Model - MAXXUM 7D

Software - MAXXUM 7D v1.10

DateTime - 2006:09:07 23:21:15

ExposureTime - 30 seconds

FNumber - 4.00

ExposureProgram - Manual control

ISOSpeedRatings - 200

ExposureBiasValue - 0.00

MaxApertureValue - F 2.83

MeteringMode - Multi-segment

LightSource - Auto

Flash - Not fired, compulsory flash mode

FocalLength - 28.00 mm

ColorSpace - sRGB

ExifImageWidth - 3008

ExifImageHeight - 2000

CustomRendered - Normal process

ExposureMode - Manual

White Balance - Auto

DigitalZoomRatio - 0 x

FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 42 mm

SceneCaptureType - Standard

GainControl - None

Contrast - Normal

Saturation - Normal

Sharpness - Normal

As you can see, the setting are as all set to normal and other than re-sizing, nothing was done to the image before posting it. It's a "Natural"!

Again, there's nothing wrong with tweaking an image when it needs it, but I'd rather do as little as possible once I take the shot. I'm lazy that way!

Of course, that's just my opinion...I could be wrong! ;)

Dave

Most downloading software does no image processing, I use Picasa to unload my cards and it does nothing to the image other than copy it. The last thing I would want is some algorithm taking a SWAG at what my pictures should look like!

This moonlit image is "natural" via my previously stated criteria:

large.jpg

Again, there's nothing wrong with tweaking an image when it needs it, but I'd rather do as little as possible once I take the shot. I'm lazy that way!

Of course, that's just my opinion...I could be wrong! ;)

Dave

Yes - I do agree I want to do as little as possible post processing but I want the final product t look as nice as can be. I still use filters. All my lenses have skylight or UV filters to protect them and to give slight enhancing. I still use polarizing filters around water and bright skies. Most consumer digitals over-saturate at "natural" to give nice bright colors. It's a selling feature!

I have lately gotten picky about the image being straight. I started realizing that most of my pictures were a little crooked. So now I go back and fix all those old shots. That was really the only major tweak I messed with on your beautiful San Diego picture - I rotated it 1 degree. It is so hard to get a straight horizon on a moving ship.

Very nice moonlit picture - I like the composure. I assume you used a tripod or are good at bracing against something solid for 30 seconds.

I can't understand on a 30 second exposure that the faraway (clouds, sea and bridge) seem so motionless (I know motion is more apparent closer) and the foreground is blurred.

This photo I'm posting is a 40 second exposure setting on a ledge with a timer triggering the shutter. If you look closely you can see star movement.

From our balcony at Kona By The Sea - at night with moonlight.

Important stuff:

3264x2448 pixels

24 bit

Color representation: sRGB

Olympus E-500

Focal length 14 mm (28mm @ 35 mm eq)

F/3.5

40 sec.

ISO-100

2004514420725269886_rs.jpg

Archived