Crossing Questions

Fang

My wife and I are considering an eastbound crossing June of 2007. Having never done one of these before I have several questions.

1. Usually, how rough are the seas. I now this is a broad question, but in general what might we expect?

2. We sailed the QM2 on a Caribbean 7 day cruise and there were formal and casual nights. Is this the same way on a crossing? I have heard the crossings tend to be more formal.

3. What is the usual weather for a crossing in June?

My wife is very concerned about the roughness of the seas. I do not get seasick, but she does. She does not want to do the patch behind the ears, because she still wants to drink wine at dinner and have some cocktails. The only time we looked into the patches we were told that drinking would effect the patches.

Thanks in advance for any advice

The weather could be anything. My wife's first full day at sea - which was on a crossing - was the first of two days of force ten. Huge seas and waves hitting the Bridge.

On the other hand, my first full day was like a mill pond!

My wife and I are considering an eastbound crossing June of 2007. Having never done one of these before I have several questions.

1. Usually, how rough are the seas. I now this is a broad question, but in general what might we expect?

I think the seas will be somewhat calmer during the summer months as opposed to when I made my crossing in October. Seas weren't bad but they were a bit rough at times. I did have to go for a shot one time.

2. We sailed the QM2 on a Caribbean 7 day cruise and there were formal and casual nights. Is this the same way on a crossing? I have heard the crossings tend to be more formal.

Yes, on our crossing there were 2 casual nights, 3 formal nights and one informal night. From what I can gather, Eastbound crossings tend to be less formal than Westbound crossings but I wouldn't do an Eastbound crossing due to the changes in time - you keep losing time - I'd rather do a WB where I can gain an hour each night.

3. What is the usual weather for a crossing in June?

Can't answer that but we were just on the QM2 going up the Atlantic coastline and it was very calm - nothing rough at all.

My wife is very concerned about the roughness of the seas. I do not get seasick, but she does. She does not want to do the patch behind the ears, because she still wants to drink wine at dinner and have some cocktails. The only time we looked into the patches we were told that drinking would effect the patches.

She could try the relief bands - I think they are by prescription too but you can take them on and off ad lib. From people I know that have used them, they say they work wonderfully.

Have a GREAT trip!

Thanks in advance for any advice

CC folks know a lot, but not next year's weather. My wife and I were over and back on the QM2 in May-June this year and we were surprised at how calm the north Atlantic was; the only time we noticed the ship's motion was one night west bound when she sailed through a weather front, but that lasted for less than an hour. We had two casual, one informal, and three formal nights each way. Unless you're emigrating, you must consider returning on the QM2 - those 25-hour days on the west bound crossing are the best. In any case, go! You will have the greatest time.

I've been on crossings that were as smooth as glass; & some that were a little tricky. QM2 takes rough seas very well. Your wife will probably be fine. As for the "relief bands" mentioned by msk68.... they are called "Sea Bands", work on the principle of accupressure & do not require prescription. They are available in some drug stores. If you have trouble finding them there, you can find them at boating or scuba diving specialty stores. I've even seen them sold in the sundry shops of some cruise ships.

Thanks for all of your help.

I would rather do a Westbound crossing, but due to business my wife will be in Europe, thats why an Eastbound crossing will be for us.

Why would an Eastbound crossing be less formal than Westbound?

I've read posts stating that Americans (traveling eastbound) don't dress as well as British/Europeans (traveling westbound). I've done several back-to-back crossings; & I can't say that I could tell much of a difference. I tend to dress "better" on crossings since I consider them more "special" than just a cruise. But that's just me.

I've been on crossings that were as smooth as glass; & some that were a little tricky. QM2 takes rough seas very well. Your wife will probably be fine. As for the "relief bands" mentioned by msk68.... they are called "Sea Bands", work on the principle of accupressure & do not require prescription. They are available in some drug stores. If you have trouble finding them there, you can find them at boating or scuba diving specialty stores. I've even seen them sold in the sundry shops of some cruise ships.

Alas, I must differ with you. There are SeaBands and then there are Reliefbands, they are based on an electronic stimulus. I had the 'sea bands' when I was pregnant and they did not help and besides I was swollen so they were tight on my wrist. The relief bands are adjustable and seem to work so much better.

So it is up to you. Do know, however that they are very used to this sort of thing and completely equipped to deal with it down in the medical centre.

It appears that there is no longer a script required for the ReliefBands (like there was in '01 when I got mine) but I would still talk to my doc about them first.

Have a great trip!

The bands may work but the tricky part about them is that they cannot slip from their position. So if you are not active at the time of wearing them you have a better chance of them working. Any medication, be it pill, patch, or shot, will have a reaction with alcohol. I have posted this before several times but this is what I have done in the past. I start taking bonine or a similiar substitue before even embarking. Instead of taking the 2 pill dosage, I will take one and then several hours another one. This helps to introduce the drug into my system at a slower pace. I then continue to take it this way throughout my journey, regardless of the conditions. After a day or two my body becomes more used to the medication, so I don't tend to experience the side effects as much (sleepiness, dry mouth). I have had no troubles enjoying my wine during the evening. Medications (except the shot) need to be taken before any symptoms start or they will be rendered useless. That is why I keep an even dosage in my system throughout the journey because you never know when the seas will kick up and the motion will become apparent. The QM2 is the best ship to be on in rough seas but in the end, if the waves are large and the wind is blowing, the ship will rock stablilizers and all. It's just good to be prepared. Eastbound in April we had only a few times of rough weather. Westbound even less.

Archived