Monarch of the Seas July 10-14 review

First and foremost, I am grateful for excellent information and helpful people on this cruise message board. Thank you so much!!!!

To begin, let me tell you for those reading and researching I had read negative information regarding the Monarch of the Seas in regards to horrible carpet and sewage odors. For our trip 7/10-7/14 2006, I found this to not be true. I can only speak of what I found , and the carpet was fine and the smell normal.:D

Our oceanview cabin on deck 3 was good. We did only have a porthole not a big window. Personally this did not bother me at all though I feel RCI should make it more evident that this is the case on deck 3 OV.

Embarkation and disembarkation was a breeze. We arrived at 11AM after an overnight at the Hilton Long Beach. We boarded somewhere between 12 - 12:30PM. Disembarkation, I had gone to guest relations the middle of the week to discuss our flight out of LAX at 12:30PM. We were given "orange" luggage tags to disembark at 8-8:30AM. I called Prime Shuttle using my cell phone in Catalina Island to set up pick up at 8:30AM. Cost to LAX was $16 per person. We had plenty of time (too much) at LAX before our flight.

Food and staff----- excellent on the Monarch of the Seas!!!

I'm not a huge fan of booking excursions but like to do things on my own. San Diego seems to be a place to set up excursions if you like to the zoo, etc.... We took the free Hilo Hattie shuttle to the Gaslight area. Not much shopping but Hilo Hattie's was good for a San Diego t-shirt/baseball hat combo for $16.99.

Cataline Island found us renting a golf cart to see the island. Fun! Tons of shopping down below in Avalon - but no real bargains if you are used to bargains from other islands. This is a US resort area so you find US resort prices.

Ensenada, Mexico was larger than I thought it would be. I love Playa Del Carmen and Playacar, Mexico for vacationing so I did not have big expectations of Ensenada. It is worth the trip to experience it - but I would not choose to cruise to this port again - or I would just stay on the ship.

Every morning we hit the ports, and every afternoon I hit the sun and pool decks. Ensenada day I had the 3 spa sampler for $79. It was fine, but I wouldn't choose it again. I was disappointed that this was done right next to the area where people get haircuts. As I lie trying to relax with the facial, right next to me I heard and felt the blow dryer of the person next to me getting a haircut. The foot massage was nothing more than lotion being put on my feet. The facial and the scalp and neck massage were good.

I had read on the boards here that if you order the drink of the day without the souvenir glass you pay $1 less. This is not true!!!! The drink prices are the same whether you have the souvenir glass or not. Perhaps this is a change and new information; but nevertheless, price is the same with or without.

The cruise director Marc Walker was great. The staff in general is great. The captain is hilarious!!! Never have met a captain so funny he could be a stand up comedian. :)

All in all, this 4 night cruise was a wonderful getaway! I highly recommend the Monarch of the Seas!!! Thanks again for your help, and I hope in turn I have been able to lend a hand to a newby!

Around 9AM there are shell necklaces where you get off the ship on deck 4. Take a necklace because this is your pass to get onto the Hilo Hattie shuttle for free. The shuttle is right outside when you get off. There is someone there showing you where to go to get on the shuttle. Easy, easy, easy. :) Later in the morning, they did run out of the necklaces but I assume they let you still use the shuttle for free.

Thanks, beachrus!

We are going on this cruise mostly to veg, but we might just take this shuttle rather than walk around the pier area.

We've been to San Diego several times, so I wasn't interested in paying the price to shuttle around town. This is a good alternative.

Thanks for the great review. DH and I will be aboard Monarch in a week. How did you get back to the ship after you took the free shuttle in San Diego- taxi?

DH and I plan to rent a golf cart in Catalina Island- any pointers?

Last but not least, I don't know anything about Ensenada. I've heard about a blow hole there that's interesting to see, but don't know how to get there, or if it's even worth the trip. Any info on Ensenada would be a great help.

Thanks so much!:)

I believe the shuttle would do a roundtrip back to the ship.

I've purchased the wine country tour in Ensendada. It's getting good reviews here on CC, and we've been to Ensendada before. I want to get out of the city. It sounds like a nice tour.

Yes, there is the blowhole excursion on Ensenada. It includes shopping at a flea market kind of situation. There was a long line of people waiting for the RCI tour when we disembarked around 9AM or so. I think it could be a 45 minute bus ride but don't quote me. When we took the $2 shuttle to shopping in Ensenadal, the bus lady told us of the tour to the blowhole and shopping. Their price was $15 maybe? I cannot comment on the quality of the blowhole because we didn't do it.

We rented from the first golf cart place right by where the tender takes you on Catalina Island. It will sell out trust me - but people return in 1-2 hours. There is another cart place past the first one. The guy at the first was a great guy. Cash only and a $30 deposit I think so take at least $70 cash with you to Catalina Island. The golf carts were very nice there. both seat rows facing forward. The driver should be confident as the hills are steep and there are no rails if you veer off the road!!!! Don't forget your camera as the views up high are wonderful for photography. I will probaby post some photos when I get them uploaded from my camera. Driver must be 25 years old or older.

The Hilo Hattie shuttle returns you to the ship right outside of the Hilo Hattie store. Last shuttle is 2:30PM. There are way more restaurants in that area than shopping. I imagine the evenings for dinner out the area is more hopping - but ship leaves the pier at 5PM. We walked around a tad and did find a World Market store like we have in Cincinnati, Ohio. We boarded the ship before lunch because there really is just not that much in the Gaslight area. Also there are a ton of transport people on bikes with a cart behind them that will carry you. I suppose they would be a good source of transportation also if you stayed past the 2:30PM last Hilo Hattie shuttle.

Enjoy, and feel free to ask more questions.

thanks, peggy :)

DH and I are looking for something a little different to do in Ensenada. Neither of us are really into wine, and for the last 3 1/2 years (off & on), we've lived in Northern Cali and have done all of that in Napa Valley.

thanks, beachrus4. DH and I will have to talk about it and figure something out. We'll bring cash for the golf cart- thanks for the tip.

We may take the free shuttle in SD. DH and I have both been there a few times and have already done the touristy stuff, so I don't know what we'll feel like doing when we get there.

Thanks, again!

The trip out to the blowhole is a fun trip. You can book it on the ship or you can walk off the ship, get on the same bus into town ($1 in and $2 back = $3 round trip) and they will take you to the central bus "terminal". Once you get there, you can buy the ticket for the bus and a tour guide to take you out to the blow hole, back into the city to shop and back to the ship. They are nice buses, a wonderful guide who will provide tons of information and a tour of the country on the way out to the blow hole. We like to go out there, wander through the shops, enjoy a churro, and barter barter barter. The tour guide will explain, real silver, and fake silver, where to buy vanilla and tequilla (Giante grocery store in town) and will answer where to buy what ever you may wish to look at.

We always take people to the tour, and everyone so far has enjoyed it. It is a safe trip to book off the ship for yourself.

Previous trips included lunch, but the last time they were "in negotiations" with places to stop for lunch so we just went back to the ship after some shopping downtown. We always stop to buy a bottle or two of tequilla to give to the friends watching the house or feeding the dog.

Have a fun trip!

:-)

Our espanol es muy pocito!! And the tour buses will be in English....so you will have no problem. And all the stores speak english and will take dollars, so don't worry about changing money. Just remember, the price they tell you is not the price you should end up paying....they do haggle, so decide what you would like to pay for something, and stick to the amount.

The Giante store is a half block off the main street downtown, at the farther end from the ship and is fine to walk to and buy things at. It is a real grocery store, and you should buy any vanilla or liquor you want there. The stalls, smaller stores and La Bufadora (the blow hole) stalls will cost more.

We like to buy Resposado Corralejo tequilla in the long blue bottle when we go. (oh, the grocery store doesn't haggle....that I know of).

I think the biggest problem would be drinking too much and then trying to go shopping.....and making it back to the ship.

When I went a few years ago, the tai dropped us off to go shopping in downtown Ensenada. I don't remember the street but we were near Pappas and bear or Hussangs (?). Where do I go from there? Is that the farther end from The Monarch?

Thanks,

Donna

Thanks for the review! :) I've done the Baja Mexico thing several times, but am doing the Monarch on 8/28 with just my husband, our first trip in 12 years withOUT the darling daughter! :D We know San Diego and Catalina very well, and were just in Ensenada over Memorial Day weekend, but on the Paradise. Looking forward to sailing the Monarch for the first time!

donna,

the gigante store is on the inland side of the street, at the farther end from the ship. Its not hard to find, but it has a parking lot in front of the store, so you may not "see" it if you are just looking down streets as you go. Ask one of the locals, or one of the bus drivers on the way into the shopping area.

I recommend the shuttle bus, for $3 they take you there and back. The buses are smaller, touring ones, not the big Greyhound bus.

Archived