Back from the Dawn - a few notes

jnmrlk

Background Info:

I am early 40’s my DH is early 50’s – we are a working couple - I am a buyer coordinator/scheduler and my DH is a tradesman. We were both prev. married and I have 5 children – 2 which are grown and gone and 3 which live at home – my DH has 3 children – all grown – he has 3 grandkids – I have 1.

We took this cruise alone and we were both first time cruisers.

I feel the need to let every-one know that I thought the entire cruise staff worked extremely hard!!! Sometimes you would see the same employee doing 2 or 3 different jobs. Every crewmember that we came in contact with was friendly, polite and always helpful. This includes the poor guy that had to come to our cabin 3 times because I kept throwing the safe into “error mode” and couldn’t open it!!

In the beginning I was very nervous about dressing for dinner and “fitting in” – NCL is wonderful with it’s freestyle cruising – we could eat anytime – no set dinner time (some cruises make you select a time) also my DH wore Dockers with a polo shirt, belt and shoes and looked perfect. There were allot of people that didn’t even tuck their shirts in or were in sneakers!!!! There were some that dressed to the nines – all seemed to fit in and that made the cruise even better! If you can talk your man into it they take wonderful pictures in the atrium on their curved staircases that come out just beautiful, you can then decide whether you want the pictures or not the next day – no pressure on the photos – that was also a huge plus.

I also found the food to be very good or excellent – there really wasn’t any-thing I didn’t like. In fact there was one very snotty lady on the elevator complaining about the quality of the food – she got a little huffy when I replied that I found the food to be very good! I’m sorry and I may get allot of annoyed replies but sometimes I think that people with excess amounts of time or money on their hands need something to complain about.

We will cruise again and we are going to make it a family cruise with enough of us to probably do 5 to 6 cabins. My DH wants to do the Italy cruise that starts and ends in Barcelona or the one that starts in Barcelona and ends in Miami – this would be a cruise with just the two of us, for the family cruise we are looking into the Virgin Islands – either 8 or 10 day cruise – both of these we would like to do next year. If I can fit it in (we have very busy schedules) I would like to fit in a small 4 or 5 day cruise later on this year – I guess you could say I have become a cruise-a-holic !!

With all that said a couple of things that were bothersome but in no way detracted from the wonderful time we had –

We had a cabin with 2 beds that pushed together to make a queen sized bed – if you are a couple that likes to “snuggle” at night you are going to feel the gap between the 2 mattresses.

I attended a seminar about trimming the fat from your stomach and thighs from that seminar I ended up doing a menu/diet suggestion (they recommend “The Zone”) and metabolic test (cost $30.00 plus a $5.00 tip) from that I was “encouraged” to buy a detox program that would cost $308.00 – this I told the trainer I need to “Think about”. Knowing that my DH would shoot me if I spent $308.00 on a couple of bottles of pills. When I didn’t return there was a follow up ‘phone call to see if I was going to purchase the program – this did irritate me a little as I had learnt from other cruisers that they had several fitness seminars that all led to the detox program. I was also told it is a similar thing in the spa – they suggest expensive products for your face and skin. Just remember to say “NO” or “Can I think about it” if you are really not interested. I have to say I was disappointed with the diet and menu suggestions – I got the feeling that it was the same thing suggested to every-one. However, the gym was very nice and clean I did work out 4 times on the machines and did a yoga class ($10.00 plus they tack on a $1.50 “service charge”). I was going to do a pilates class (same price) but I just couldn’t fit it in!!!

Things I took that I really needed –

clock – made it easier to check time or set the alarm

small 6 foot extension cord – they type that you can get 3 plugs in – if you have an elec. clock or a curling iron – if you need to plug in chargers (for cameras or laptops).

I will do a full review as there were things that I would change that I did or didn’t do – but I have to say if you are a first time and you are hesitant – go for it – just do it – pick a cruise and go go go!!!

It is refreshing to read a review from a 1st time cruiser. It sounds like you really enjoyed the trip and I enjoyed reading about it. I often think that after several cruises, I tend to took too closely for flaws. I have read where others do the same. I finally have learned to take each experience as a new one. I found less wrong when I did.

one more thing (though some may disagree with me!!!) duct tape - doesn't take up much room - but when my zipper broke on one of my bags saved allot of aggravation!

Well thank you very much. When the cruisers on my roll call link below saw duct tape on my list they poked fun at me. :rolleyes: If you get a chance post over there.:D

Thanks!

Archived