Formal Nights on QE2

jimgib

I absolutely love her, the show and that episode. The series is still shown in re-runs here in the states. Will you be sailing all or a portion of the world cruise?

Bobby

Sadly I am not on the World cruise at all, that's on hold until I win the lottery :D

Regarding Hyacinth, I think we all know someone like her don't we? I just hope my brother's Mother-in-law doesn't read this board :eek:

Hi All,

My concern/question is whether I am packing too little or overpacking.

When we cruise we tend to travel very light, and use the cruise as a buying oppertunity for clothes etc. where we live choice is somewhat limited and expensive. So prity much anywhere is value for me. Also on a world cruise you will go to many places where suites jackets trousers etc can be made at great speeed super quality if you are very selective and exceptional value. I tend to get suites and jackets made by a great tailor in Hong Kong, I have even been known to make a special trip there when in the far east just to get clothes made. If you need the contact in HK I would be happy to pass the name along.

Regards

Jimgib.

I love that episode! They played it over and over again on one of the TV channels during the mini cruise we went on too

NO! I hate Hyacinth. All the shows are so embarrassing:( (My mother loves her - but she goes by the nickname of Mrs Bucket!):D

On her QE2 special I find myself saying "That's not quite right", "How did she get a QG cabin yet eat in steerage (:D )", etc.

NO! I hate Hyacinth. All the shows are so embarrassing:( (My mother loves her - but she goes by the nickname of Mrs Bucket!):D

On her QE2 special I find myself saying "That's not quite right", "How did she get a QG cabin yet eat in steerage (:D )", etc.

Aparrently my other half had a similar nickname when working on the fair princess, luckily that was a long time ago!

For the record i'm not a big fan of "keeping up appearances" either, but embarrassingly I like "Hi de Hi" and "Ello Ello" which I suppose is much sadder, i'm only slightly reprieved by also liking Ab Fab. (naturally)

On her QE2 special I find myself saying "That's not quite right", "How did she get a QG cabin yet eat in steerage ( )"

Hi pnhmrk,

I hate to say it but many moons ago in 89, l was very honoured to be given an unoficial upgrade to one of "those" cabins on 1 deck with the big windows on a homeward transatlantic run and still l dinned on the Hotel managers table in S class:rolleyes: .

While it would be nice to dine "uptop" l glanced the price of the house wines on the menus once and being a scotsman, the prospect of paying those prices well l havent been the same since!!!

I hate to say it but many moons ago in 89, l was very honoured to be given an unofficial upgrade to one of "those" cabins on 1 deck

We have all got that kind of upgrade in the past:) It was amazing what Cunard could organise for you.

I don't think that it was a real cabin though - The ice bucket looked wrong, the wooden panelling was the wrong colour, etc. I could be wrong and it's a long time since I've seen it (I'm working from memory) - do you know if the cabin scenes were filmed onboard? We were on for the cruise after they'd done the filming and there was some talk about how much fun it'd been, I never thought to ask about the cabin though:(

Having only spent 3 nights on the ship (and even then it was during the time I watched this episode once or twice, having seen it at home beforehand once anyway), I'm probably still quite ignorant about what's right and what's wrong.:D

I think it was filmed some time go too, wasn't it?

Not that I would know from first hand experience, but I have seen many posts on the HAL board referencing people who book 2 suites, one for them and one for the clothes and goodies they buy, as they sail on world voyages.

I am ready, willing and able to share anyone's clothes cabin, at any time.

NO! I hate Hyacinth.

You're supposed to hate her! She wouldn't be funny if she were likeable ;) .

Actually, I think it's a P cabin, in particular what would now be a P1 or P2 on Two Deck. But I've not seen it in years so my memory could be off!

I don't think that it was a real cabin though - The ice bucket looked wrong, the wooden panelling was the wrong colour, etc.

I'm pretty sure it was real. If it wasn't real, it was a very well-done set!

The wood panelling, from what I remember, looked just like the darkest color wood panelling on QE2 (very, very dark) which I have seen in P and C cabins (but not Q cabins). I think the portholes were Two Deck type, the slightly oval ones that used to open.

Onslow and Daisy's penthouse also looked accurate for what would now be a Q2 grade.

I think it was filmed some time go too, wasn't it?

I believe it was the 1993 Christmas Special so I guess it was filmed during 1993.

As I recall, the ship looks as she would have in 1992-1994.

The cabin was a actual cabin (either a P-1,2,3 or C-1) because of the double bed configuration, according to my cabin steward who watched the whole ordeal. The waiter (waitress) Hyacinth knocks over is named Melanie. She was my waiter twice in the Queen's Grill and said that the entire filming experience was very much enjoyed by the crew. All the officers are themselves, right down to John Burton-Hall.

Did you also see the episode when Hyacinth has a home security system installed with the QE2 horn as the alarm?

Bobby

The cabin was a actual cabin (either a P-1,2,3 or C-1) because of the double bed configuration, according to my cabin steward who watched the whole ordeal.

I am pretty sure it has to be a P1 or a P2 since the size and shape of the portholes indicate that it's on Two Deck.

The layout could also be a P3, P4 or C1 but those are all on Three Deck.

Did you also see the episode when Hyacinth has a home security system installed with the QE2 horn as the alarm?

She tries to, but I don't think she succeeds ;) ! However, she does manage to get a special-ordered dusty pink alarm box to match one at a stately home she saw!

QE2 is actually fairly often mentioned in different episodes, usually in the "My husband and I have sailed in the QE2, you know" sense. However, before the QE2 episode, there was also one where Mrs. Bucket's rival Mrs. Barker-Finch (or is it Mrs. Hawksworth?) brags about her holiday to the Caribbean, and so Mrs. Bucket must one-up her by conspicuously perusing upscale holiday brochures for the QE2 and the Orient-Express. One of my favorite lines of the entire series is when, in this episode, she picks up the phone and in a twist on her usual line, accidentally says:

"Brochure Residence, Lady of the House speak-ing!"

I am pretty sure it has to be a P1 or a P2 since the size and shape of the portholes indicate that it's on Two Deck.

I'm fairly sure that it's a mock up of a cabin - if it were a real cabin how could they get far enough away to get the camera angles? I'll have to try and find my tape of the episode and watch it again.

Okay, okay, okay! Enough already about these episodes about Hyacinth somebody-or-other Bucket.

You've said it's been in reruns in the US.

What's the name of the show? I am obviously going to have to seek this show out and figure out where the on button on my TV is, and what I did with those ribbit-eared bow-tied thingy, and how to change the channels with that little knob!

Karie,

Who can't even SPELL TV, much less ever WATCH it!

She spends all of her spare time reading CRUISE CRITICS! Who has time for TV?.. or baths, or eating, or work, for that matter! <LOL>

Okay, okay, okay! Enough already about these episodes about Hyacinth somebody-or-other Bucket.

You've said it's been in reruns in the US.

What's the name of the show? I am obviously going to have to seek this show out and figure out where the on button on my TV is, and what I did with those ribbit-eared bow-tied thingy, and how to change the channels with that little knob!

Karie,

Who can't even SPELL TV, much less ever WATCH it!

She spends all of her spare time reading CRUISE CRITICS! Who has time for TV?.. or baths, or eating, or work, for that matter! <LOL>

Hi Karie

The programme is called "keeping up appearances" but I wouldn't get too excited! it is quite funny, but I think "you had to be there" it is getting on a bit now.

I hope you are keeping well

Mark

Annette and Mark,

Thank you both for your responses.

Is this a PBS show? I will have to look for it. I don't believe I have ever heard of it,but that is not surprising. I never even turn the TV on unless it is somethingI know is coming and make a special effort to watch. (And then I am so used to not watching that I often forget, and miss it anyway!)

Karie

who mostly misses the occasional clever and funny commercial. But not the stupid beer and car commercials.

We did start watching Saturday Night Live a bit this year. The first tiime I saw one of those Burger King Commericals with the King with the oversized head I thought it was one of their fake commercials! I had no idea! It took several viewings (And even then I thought Marc was pulling my leg) to convince me they were real commercials. Especially the one were King-y-poo climbs in the guy's bedroom window and gets in bed with him and a tray of breakfast! Talk about your "not ready-for-prime-time-players!

It is not strictly a PBS program - it is a BBC program but it is played on PBS stations in the US.

I don't think it qualifies as network programming for PBS, though.

You can read more about it here. Note the following:

Onslow wins a luxury cruise aboard the QE2 in a newspaper contest. This cruise occurs at the same time as Hyacinth's trip. Hyacinth is horrified by his presence aboard the ship and at first believes he and Daisy are stowaways. When Onslow and Daisy are invited to have dinner at the Captain's table, Onslow is apalled having to 'eat with the crew'.

Is this a PBS show? I will have to look for it.

Karie,

The entire "Keeping Up Appearances" series is available for purchase on Amazon. The episode set on QE2 is in the collection entitled "Hyacinth in Full Bloom." You might even be able to purchase the single episode on the Queen Mary 2 during your Labor Day cruise. It plays over and over on QE2 TV or at least used to. No matter how many times I see it, I always chuckle. Hyacinth and "Lizzy" are each icons in their own eccentric way. I wonder how many re-runs I will be able to tolerate while on the world cruise! ;) LOL.

Happy Sailings!

It's a pretty big cabin! And I'm sure they used wide lenses.

I must admit, I thought it was a mock up of the cabin that was filmed in. If you look at the windows there seems to be celophane or some other plastic there instead of glass. You can see it moving! :eek:

Funny episode though, not that keen on the program but that episode was good.

Archived