Formal Nights on QE2

jimgib

we are on the july 29th sailing on QE2. 7 Nights just thinking of getting suits etc cleaned, a question has come to mind how many formal nights are we likely to get on a 7 night cruise. It would help me to know how many dress shirts to put in my suit cases.

Thanks

regards

Jimgib

I would think there'd be four informal (lounge suit), two formal (dinner jacket) and one casual (sports jacket - although most people seem to wear a lounge suit). You only need two dress shirts - the laundry is very good at washing dress shirts and getting them back to you for the next night.

I would think there'd be four informal (lounge suit), two formal (dinner jacket) and one casual (sports jacket - although most people seem to wear a lounge suit). You only need two dress shirts - the laundry is very good at washing dress shirts and getting them back to you for the next night.

In practice, you'll only get a casual night if the ship sails after 6 pm. Sailing at 6 pm works out as informal.

I have recently returned from a 14 night trip and took only one dress shirt - each formal night I put it in a laundry bag for laundering for the next occasion. Even when there were two formal nights consecutively this wasn't a problem. Better pressed than I could do too - but a hint for you. Put a big note on the form asking for them to be returned on hangers, not folded. You'll find them in the wardrobe in good time, covered in plastic and clean as a whistle.

In practice, you'll only get a casual night if the ship sails after 6 pm. Sailing at 6 pm works out as informal.

The last night is sailing from Rotterdam at 4-00am! (I thought it was 4-00am, I've just checked - it's 4-00pm. A very early departure, but it will make the last night informal).

I did not even know that there were casual nights on QE2? I thought these were on QM2 only. I can certainly understand having them if one sails after 6 PM though.

It seems to me that normally the first and last night are informal, otherwise sea days are formal and days in port are informal.

Cunard defines informal as jacket and tie and formal as dinner jacket or, alternately, suit and tie.

Having just looked at the itinerary, I would say it is most likely going to work out like this:

29 Jul - Sat - SOUTHAMPTON - Informal

30 Jul - Sun - AT SEA - Formal

31 Jul - Mon - BERGEN - Informal

01 Aug - Tue - STAVANGER - Informal

02 Aug - Wed - OSLO - Informal

03 Aug - Thu - AT SEA - Formal

04 Aug - Fri - ROTTERDAM - Informal

So, five informal nights and two formal nights.

Having just looked at the itinerary, I would say it is most likely going to work out like this:

29 Jul - Sat - SOUTHAMPTON - Informal

01 Aug - Tue - STAVANGER - Informal

04 Aug - Fri - ROTTERDAM - Informal

So, five informal nights and two formal nights.

Host Doug

Having asked Cunard about this trip they've said there are three formal nights - so I would go with this scenario:

29 Jul - Sat - SOUTHAMPTON - Casual

01 Aug - Tue - STAVANGER - Formal

04 Aug - Fri - ROTTERDAM - Casual

Andhow

Are the first nights of a QE2 cruise usually casual?

On a crossing, they are informal (the only two informal nights - others are formal).

A QM2 crossing is totally different; first and last nights are casual and then there are three formals and one informal.

Host Doug

Having asked Cunard about this trip they've said there are three formal nights - so I would go with this scenario:

29 Jul - Sat - SOUTHAMPTON - Casual

01 Aug - Tue - STAVANGER - Formal

04 Aug - Fri - ROTTERDAM - Casual

Andhow

My view is this:

29/7 - Embarkation night - Informal

30/7 - Sea - Formal

31/7 - Bergen - Formal

01/8 - Stavanger - Informal

02/8 - Oslo - Informal

03/8 - Sea - Formal

04/8 - Rotterdam - Informal.

None of the sailing is after 4 pm or overnight, so no casual.

Bergen will be formal because of the need to get the Captain's reception done. My guess is that the Staff Captain will do the steerage one at Bergen, as the Master will be on the Bridge.

Last night is always informal.

I've done a seven night cruise to Norway and it followed the pattern I suggested.

We have found the casual has been replaced by informal,and I like it.If I was dining in a good restaurant,I would expect my husband to wear a tie and look good.(as he always does).So lets make an effort, people.

I think the heat is getting to me,its hot here in Essex!

Regards

Kathie.:) :)

ON the 14 day NYC to LA first leg of the 2006 world cruise there were no casual nights eight formal and six informal. Since most passengers boarded in jacket and tie it was not difficult to be prepared for dinner on the first night out.

The QE2 passenger is for the most part the best dressed passenger of any cruise line.

I did not even know that there were casual nights on QE2?

They're a fairly new innovation. Although Cunard imply that they are much less dressy than informal in practise most people wear the same kind of thing. I think they are much more dressy than the casual nights on the QM2.

Originally Posted by Host Doug

I did not even know that there were casual nights on QE2?

Your right Doug there are no casual nights on QE2, Its ELEGANT casual!!!

to quote from the voyage info folder:-

The special glamour of formal evenings is celebrated most evenings when the ship has not been in port that day.

The suggested dress for the restaurants and all public rooms after 6pm will be one of the following. Formal,Informal or Elegant casual

I for one will have my diamonds packed for elegant casual night;)

The one night cruise next week will be interesting, you will have the seasoned cruisers who will be informal, and those that havent cruised will be bringing their ball gowns etc

The last one nighter proved a very interesting mixture of dress sense!!!

cheers

Myles

The one night cruise next week will be interesting, you will have the seasoned cruisers who will be informal, and those that havent cruised will be bringing their ball gowns etc

The last one nighter proved a very interesting mixture of dress sense!!!

cheers

Myles

Indeed. I'm taking it as informal, based on the fact that it is the first and last night. I've heard from some on board (crew) that some in the Mauretania have difficulty finding a suit.... Comes from selling it at less than the price of a central London Travelinn I suppose.

Please note, that I am not implying anything about Mauretania guests per se. The same member of staff suggested the Queens Grill wouldn't be its usual self as well, for much the same reason. It is, I suppose, the new passengers rather than the regulars.....

Hi All,

I have a headache from reading all the posts about clothes/packing strategies! LOL! I am trying (desperately) to develop a plan of attack for the QE2 world cruise on which I am booked. I have a double cabin to myself and, as a result, lots of space. I live in New York so there is no problem transporting all the luggage to the cruise terminal. In terms of formal/informal I have set aside 2 tuxedos, an off-white dinner jacket, 2 dark suits, 1 light linen suit and a blazer; I thought this would give me alot of flexibility. I have lots of quality no-iron shirts which I plan on laundering myself in the QE2 laundry (demilitarized zone?). I will use the ship's laundry service for the 6 formal shirts I plan to take. Then, of course, all the different ties, etc. My concern/question is whether I am packing too little or overpacking. I thought the above items would give me a two to three week turnaround. Any and all suggestions welcome, especially from fellow CruiseCritic members with experience on the full world cruise, segments and other longer cruises. My only experience with longer cruises so far was an 11 night QE2 Baltic cruise and a 14 night Caronia cruise.

Thanks for the help.

:confused:Bobby:rolleyes:

I think half of this board is taken up with concerns over dress etiquette!!

When I went on the QE2 it came as quite a shock that it was so formal, I tend to wear very nice shirts and trousers when I go out to dine on land, I only took one dinner suit. I felt such a pratt when I got there and had to wear the same suit every night of the cruise, the only difference between informal and formal for me was a bow tie or tie!

This time i'll be much better prepared, however despite looking like "Billy no clothes" it was my most special and memorable cruise (as far as the contents of the ship are concerned anyway) and I cant wait to get back on in just over two weeks.

Take as much as you can, then you can react to whatever the mood of your cruise is, as it seems to change quite a bit depending on the itinerary.

My concern/question is whether I am packing too little or overpacking. I thought the above items would give me a two to three week turnaround.

Hi Bobby

Im the wrong person to give advice on luggage and travelling But on my last 3 week QE2 cruise l packed enough luggage so as not to use the laundry onboard,44s shirts was a start, my room stewardess had a fit when she saw my luggage, AND she unpacked for me (possibly a reflection onhow much a tip l gave her at the start, but thats another story) and gave me a button hole on formal nights

This year however l will be more considerate in my packing for the same length of cruise and will be organised to use the self service laundry.

a lady friend confided in me that she took much less luggage than l had and she was on the world cruise.

However lm with ssnorway and his views "take as much as you can!!!!" QE2 is still thankfully a very formal ship!

Must admit that l thought that all of the Mauretania passengers on that cruise seemed to excell at dressing up and didnt see anyone who looked out of place? l guess on her longer cruises the type of passenger does change.

Bobby, im envious of you doing the world cruise, that would be a dream for me, but the luggage would be an absolute nightmare

cheers

Myles

(who for the life of him cannot travel light !!!)

"Bobby, im envious of you doing the world cruise, that would be a dream for me, but the luggage would be an absolute nightmare

cheers

Myles

(who for the life of him cannot travel light !!!)"

Me neither Cunard Queen!! I think we both know the reason for that!!

However I'm with ssnorway and his views "take as much as you can!!!!" QE2 is still thankfully a very formal ship!

If you've got it take it - you'll be sure to regret not bringing something if you don't bring it!

(From another heavy packer:) When I was first on the QE2 I was changing 5 times per day)

pnhmark, SS NORWAY, cunardqueen... Why do we all sound like Hyacinth Bucket on the notorious QE2 "Sea Fever" episode????

;)

I love that episode! They played it over and over again on one of the TV channels during the mini cruise we went on too :cool:

I love that episode! They played it over and over again on one of the TV channels during the mini cruise we went on too :cool:

I absolutely love her, the show and that episode. The series is still shown in re-runs here in the states. Will you be sailing all or a portion of the world cruise?

Bobby

Archived