Cigarettes

HANDYMOM

I haven't smoked for well over 35 years but I remember, when in the service, I bought them for $.70/carton when we were at sea. If the $20 figure is correct that means I could get 28 1/2 cartons for that amount.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I was on Celebrity in December and was able to take them to my cabin, on the other hand, my mom was on Holland America and her cigarettes were kept until the end of the the cruise.

Spender Nui, I can't imagine 70 cents a carton. I'd be saving a lot of money if it were still that way.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I was on Celebrity in December and was able to take them to my cabin, on the other hand, my mom was on Holland America and her cigarettes were kept until the end of the the cruise.

Spender Nui, I can't imagine 70 cents a carton. I'd be saving a lot of money if it were still that way.

I swore I wouldn't do this, but you know how reformed smokers (I'm one that can no longer stand being around smokers ... no offense intended) and drunks are.

Think of all the $$$$ you could save if you stopped.

Sorry, it just came out.

Cartons purchased in the shop are delivered to your cabin the last evening onboard. You are NOT allowed to take them during the cruise for use onboard. The only way to purchase them are 'by the pack' at some of the bars, where there is a very limited selection.

So plan accordingly. It has been like this on Princess for as far back as I can remember.

There is a little shop near the pier in St Thomas that sells most brands, including Marlboro for about $2/pack. For us in Jersey($5.50/pack) that's a great price. And you can take them onto the ship w/o them being confiscated....Not that I know this information personally...my friend was the one buying, so please no preaching:p hehe

I swore I wouldn't do this, but you know how reformed smokers (I'm one that can no longer stand being around smokers ... no offense intended) and drunks are.

Sorry, it just came out.

Oh please............................................................

I was buying them for around $2.50 a pack on a cruise out of the UK, which is half the price of other cruise lines.

Sorry, it just came out.

At $5.50 a pack you could take another cruise in no time! Surely the fresh sea air would help, it's wonderful to breathe in!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist either :D

At $5.50 a pack you could take another cruise in no time! Surely the fresh sea air would help, it's wonderful to breathe in!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist either :D

Taken four cruises with what my wife and I have saved in the last 6 and half years. Took what we were spending and put in a special saving account each week. It adds up. :D

I haven't smoked for well over 35 years but I remember, when in the service, I bought them for $.70/carton when we were at sea. If the $20 figure is correct that means I could get 28 1/2 cartons for that amount.

I remember $1.10 a carton overseas in the PX. Counldn't afford not to smoke at those prices. Quit when they got to $4 a pack on the west coast.

There is a little shop near the pier in St Thomas that sells most brands, including Marlboro for about $2/pack. For us in Jersey($5.50/pack) that's a great price. And you can take them onto the ship w/o them being confiscated....Not that I know this information personally...my friend was the one buying, so please no preaching:p hehe

Be careful when buying cigerettes in the port. Make sure they are class A cigs and not the class B ones. GOt a few cartons for 9 bucks and they burned very quickly...only to look closer and sure enough--Class B

They went up a bit since then shipmate. In the mid '90s the ship's store carried "Sea Stores" for $4.50 a carton. I don't know what they go for now, I quit years ago also. Though if the NEX is any example, they're up to $15 a carton now. The navy's approach along with times and specific locations to smoke on a warship. That'll make you quit :) or you get assigned a ship where thr CO has put the Smoking Lamp out perminately :D

Taken four cruises with what my wife and I have saved in the last 6 and half years. Took what we were spending and put in a special saving account each week. It adds up. :D

Wow, that's great! Grats!!!

Wish I had an expensive habit to give up for more cruising....but cruising IS my expensive habit :p

Wish I had an expensive habit to give up for more cruising....but cruising IS my expensive habit :p

Just think if you gave up tequila you would save even more and you might even remember your cruise.

I thiink your statement applies to most of us......I know it does for me....:)

Archived