Need any info for Baltimore........Never Been

isujim

OK, well....if you stay at the Inner Harbor, McCormick & Schmick's has a good crab cake. The Rusty Scupper is also a maybe and you'll have a fabulous harbor view.

http://www.mccormickandschmicks.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=content.display&pageid=96&areaid=45

http://www.selectrestaurants.com/rusty/

However, if you want steamed shrimp and mussels by the pound with great white wine/garlic/butter sauce for dipping french bread, try John Stevens in Fells Point. You can take the water taxi from the Harbor - very laid back and pub like.

http://www.johnstevenltd.com/awards.html

Around BWI is G&M Restaurant, which has been voted best crabcakes in Baltimore (or vicinity), but not sure it would be feasible for you to attempt to get there. It's a dive of a place with great crabcakes. You can even order them shipped to Oklahoma! ;)

http://www.gandmcrabcakes.com/

Have fun!

madelinerose

another poster told me about g&m crabcakes.........but if we stay at the airport area........isn't that close by? at least that is what I was told.

Thanks to all for the links..........:)

Yes, it's close.

Oh (thanks, signman), I forgot about The Oceanaire, which is also in Fells Point. Legal Seafoods is a huge chain...used to eat there lots when I worked across the street....ok but, I wouldn't recommend it to an out of towner.

madelinerose another poster told me about g&m crabcakes.........but if we stay at the airport area........isn't that close by? at least that is what I was told.

Thanks to all for the links..........:)

A really funky fun place to stay in Fells Point is the Admiral Fell Inn. The restaurant attached to the place, called True, is all organic and absolutely fab! The crab cake was so amazing I couldn't speak! The restaurant is facing the water and you can take a easy water taxi to the inner harbor. And if you stay there, the breakfast comes from that restaurant -- so so good!

Loved my stay there.

Tracy

who lives in Alexandria, VA 10 mins from DC

Yes, G & M is very convenient to the airport.

Madelinerose, Yes Legal Seafood is a chain, but you don't thrive in Boston unless you are doing something right. They absolutely know seafood. My meals there have been very good. Prices are moderate. I like scallops, and theirs taste just like they do in Maine, lightly fried with a fresh taste. I directed a few Brits there just a week ago before their Grandeur cruise and they were very pleased.

Thanks guys and gals.........I have gained 4 lbs just reading about all the restaurants. I think we will do G&M one night and then one of the restaurants at the waterfront the second night and who knows for the third night:)

I just can't thank you enough for all the info........please keep checking this thread when you have time..........I will be adding questions for you experts as time passes.

Jim

Deb, do you want crab cakes or steamed crabs?

For steamed crabs, these 2 are Baltimore institutions. http://www.obryckis.com or http://www.bobrooks.com

Bo Brooks is right on the water in the Canton neighborhood and can be reached by the water taxi if you are staying near the Inner Harbor. Obrycki's is just a short taxi ride from downtown in upper Fells Point. They will show you how to crack the crabs. Both also have an extensive menu of other seafood including crab cakes.

I think McCormick & Schmick has a pretty good crab cake too. However overall I personally enjoy Legal Seafood. Their crab cake is fine, but the prices are moderate and the location is just across the street from Harborplace.

Hi, Deb.....I'm with Howard on this one. Been there many times for office meetings, etc. Absolutely nothing special about it. ;)

Karen

Baltimore

We've booked at the Wyndam in October before our cruise and see a seafood restaurant close by that's mentioned in Frommer's.Would anyone be able to comment on Pisces?Thanks.Deb

Hi Deb (again)

If you want some ambience while you're eating crabs, go for Bo Brooks. You can dine outside right on the water. I believe Oprah still orders her crabs from Obrycki's, which is a great place, but no view.

Haven't dined at Bo Brooks this year, but last year we paid $75/dozen for large crabs (they usually run small, medium, large and extra large/jumbo).

I like Legal Seafood, but prefer others. If you're at the Inner Harbor, it's definitely convenient. IMHO, Legal Seafood = 3 stars.....Blue Sea Grill = 5 stars. ;) It's all about your personal dining preferences.

Good luck with whatever you decide and enjoy our city! ;)

Karen

Baltimore

Deb, do you want crab cakes or steamed crabs?

For steamed crabs, these 2 are Baltimore institutions. www.obryckis.com or www.bobrooks.com

Bo Brooks is right on the water in the Canton neighborhood and can be reached by the water taxi if you are staying near the Inner Harbor. Obrycki's is just a short taxi ride from downtown in upper Fells Point. They will show you how to crack the crabs. Both also have an extensive menu of other seafood including crab cakes.

I think McCormick & Schmick has a pretty good crab cake too. However overall I personally enjoy Legal Seafood. Their crab cake is fine, but the prices are moderate and the location is just across the street from Harborplace.

Could someone please tell me if the Microtel Motel in Baltimore on Winterson Rd, is a nice place? We have reservations there the night before our cruise. They offer free parking, for the 9 days, versus $10.00 a day the port terminal charges. Also will there be a problem getting a taxi from there, and would it be very expensive?

thanks for any info.

It's a Microtel which means that it is a no frills modular room, very basic. But the location is in the same area with about a dozen other hotels, several restaurants you can walk to, including Wendy's, Bob Evans and Ruby Tuesday. I'm sure the hotel will be able to call you a cab, and it should run in the $25-30 price range. The few times I've checked rates, the Microtel was not exactly cheap, around $90, which for that type hotel is a lot, IMHO. I've only stayed in a Microtel once, and it is just simple basic lodging.

I would try for something on Priceline in the airport area for the night before your cruise, and if you are successful bidding in the $50-60 range, then I'd just drive and pay the parking fee at the pier. Learn about Priceline at http://www.biddingfortravel.com

What date are you planning to stay in the hotel?

We will be staying near BWI and taking the train into DC and Ball'mer.

The Tour-mobile sounds like the plan in DC to eliminate parking issues and toooo much walking.

Here is link for Amtrak service. I typed in DC, BWI and Baltimore for schedules.

http://www.amtrak.com./servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/HomePage

Examples of Service:

151 Regional Service

Baltimore, MD

BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport

(BWI)

7:48 am

12-SEP-06 Washington, DC

Union Station

(WAS)

8:15 am

12-SEP-06 0h 27mSnack car 1 Reserved Coach Seat

$11.00 111 Regional Service

Baltimore, MD

(BWI)

8:13 am

12-SEP-06 Washington, DC

Union Station

(WAS)

8:40 am

12-SEP-06 0h 27mSnack car 1 Reserved Coach Seat

$15.00 181 Regional Service

Baltimore, MD

(BWI)

9:11 am

12-SEP-06 Washington, DC

Union Station

(WAS)

9:45 am

12-SEP-06 0h 34mSnack car 1 Reserved Coach Seat

$11.00

Light rail looks like the best way to get from BWI to the inner harbor, but here are Amtrak schedules going to Baltimore's Penn Station:

172 Regional Service

Baltimore, MD

(BWI)

7:57 am

12-SEP-06 Baltimore, MD

Penn Station

(BAL)

8:12 am

12-SEP-06 0h 15mSnack car 1 Reserved Coach Seat

$15.00 2104 Acela Express

Baltimore, MD

(BWI)

8:21 am

12-SEP-06 Baltimore, MD

Penn Station

(BAL)

8:35 am

12-SEP-06 0h 14mSnack car 1 Business Class Seat

$25.00 56 Vermonter

Baltimore, MD

(BWI)

8:30 am

12-SEP-06 Baltimore, MD

Penn Station

(BAL)

8:45 am

12-SEP-06 0h 15mSnack car 1 Reserved Coach Seat

$15.00

Just realized that Gettysburg isnt' that far from Baltimore.............this trip to Maryland keeps getting longer and longer.........just added another day:) Again thanks to all for the great information.

Jim, sounds like you may be booking a month here before it's all over! ;)

Gettysburg is nice way to spend the day.

Yep, 2.5-3hrs to the ocean or the mountains....gotta love that. ;)

Karen

Baltimore

Just realized that Gettysburg isnt' that far from Baltimore.............this trip to Maryland keeps getting longer and longer.........just added another day:) Again thanks to all for the great information.

Well then, Gettysburg is an absolute must for you! There's a B&B there that is haunted and for the life of me I can't think of the name. I'm sure you could Google it. Hope you really enjoy your trip! ;)

madelinerose I would if I could afford it:D .........big Civil War buff here........

You guys have been great with the information

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Archived