Scuba in Cayman

BorntoTravel

Any recommendations on GOOD DIVE OPERATORS in the Cayman Islands? My wife just got her C-Card and needs to get her first blue water experiences. We've snorkeled with rays before, so I am looking for an operator who has something other than going out to Ray City and the surrounding areas.

Any recommendations?

Jeff

Take her on the 2 shore dives right at the pier. There are 2 sites available. Do an internet search for the "Devils Grotto" and "Eden Rock". There are 2 dive shops 500 ft from the pier on the right and the dives sites are right there. It is also very affordable.

Steve

Any land dive shop or operators or any boat operators to avoid?

I was thinking of a boat dive because it would have all the tanks nearby without the beach walk, but a shore dive is an interesting thought.

Any land dive shop or operators or any boat operators to avoid?

I was thinking of a boat dive because it would have all the tanks nearby without the beach walk, but a shore dive is an interesting thought.

Boat diving is way easier that shore diving, so go with the boat dives, especially for your wife's first dives. Plus the sites you can get to on a boat are going to be better than Eden Rock when the coral is in less than "pristine" condition.

I sure wouldn't want to dive with Red Sail. Even though some people have reported good experiences with then, I know that they are a cattle boat operation with strict schedules, follow the leader diving, and limited bottom time. They are the scuba contractor for Royal Caribbean International, Norwegian Cruise Line, and The Disney Cruise Line. That means that they could have the potential for large groups of cruise divers. I would like to avoid diving under those conditions.

What you want is a small operator that that will take a more personal interest in the quality of your dive experience. Someone that only takes out small groups. Someone with a decent boat and who is cruiser friendly. I went with Neptunes divers when I was in Grand Cayman in March aboard the Grand Princess. I have no difficulty recommend them to fellow cruisers. 8 divers max on their boat. They let you choose the dive site, or will suggest a good one based one your experience level. They will lead you on a dive or if you prefer, you can do your own dive with your buddy. Most beginning divers are more comfortable following the guide, but being a photographer, I like to be able to go really slowly when I dive. They prefer that you meet them at Public Beach located on 7 mile beach, but they are happy to drop you back in Georgetown after the dives if you want.

There are many other fine dive operators in Grand Cayman, but many of them are not able to accommodate the cruise diver due to their schedule. It seems like the better dive OPs like to get an early start so they leave early, often too early for cruisers to make the morning dives. Others to contact include Red Baron diving, Off the Wall divers, Wall to Wall divers, Dive Tech, and Fisheye diving(especially for photographers).

The diving in Grand Cayman is great for beginners; the water is warm, the visibility is usually quite good, and there is little if any current. Lots to see too.

You can see my Grand Cayman underwater photos Here

I would have to go with steve on the shore dives.If your wife is a newbie to diving this lets her go at her own pace.It's only 30 feet from store to water.Eden rock or Parrots are very good places to dive from.Just one tip though,go as early as possible.Eden rock opens at 8:00am.Less people.More time to dive.More to see.Hope this helps.Janerd

As usual, Bruce and I are in agreement. I strongly prefer boat dives for ease, especially for women (it's a lot easier for men to be carrying around tanks when getting into and out of the water) and highly recommend Neptune's Divers. They will make sure your wife is taken care of and given an excellent experience.

Barbunny and Bruce-r,

I have to agree with both of you to a point, a dive boat is easier for a woman and the help she will receive getting in and out are great, but the issue is her comfort zone...A good experience will want her to continue with diving and yes you are correct that the diving will be better with the dive boats,but as a new diver not having anything to compare it to, she won't know what she is missing.She might spend most of the dive just trying to clear her mask or learning to equalize.

I think his wife should make the call and because a bad or uncomfortable dive could turn her off to diving quick.

Another option which I am doing in Barbados next month is to hire your own dive boat with divemaster to go with you on the dive.This way there are no other people,you choose the site, and the divemaster follows you if you choose,not you following the group.

Steve

I agree with the beach v. boat issues. A long walk on sand carrying equipment is not my idea of fun (especially tank refills, etc). Then there is the added fun of security while we are getting wet.

I believe that hiring a boat is slightly out of our price range.

And I am definitely concerned about my wife's comfort zone. The mud pits of Texas are different than the great blue. And I want her to enjoy what we have all experienced before.... bliss. I plan to take her to a cleaner alkaline pit nearby and get a bunch (wow, what a tech term!) of practice dives under her weight belt so that maintaining neutral buoyancy, navigating, and the other skills she learned are second nature to her. And, of course,to play with our new equipment.

I had seen Neptune's website and was interested in it before the recommendations. We are coming in on a cruise so I am checking with them on timing (think cattle call if you have never seen cruisers exiting out of one the one chute off the ship) to get to the dock and boat. I will check into DiveTech, though. Like the rest of us, I only what the best at the most reasonable price!

>>>Hello again BurBunny. A belated thanks for the reference to Eagle Ray Divers in Cozumel last year.<<<

Thanks to all. Jeff

Last year, my husband and I cruised with RCCL....and we dove in Cayman with RedSail. We are fairly novice with around 20 dives or so. I didn't think Red Sail was a cattle boat at all. Perhaps we were just lucky! :p Maybe 12-14 of us....with 2 master divers and videographer. I didn't feel rushed at all. That was my first time to dive Cayman....its absolutely beautiful! brobertson: loved your pics! One nice thing about it for a newbie....no current in Cayman. Our next dive was Cozumel through RCCL. THAT was a cattle boat. I don't remember the name (its in my dive book)...but I would never do that again. I don't know the actual number of people....but it seems like 25 people or so. Their rental equipment was not very good either (thank god we took our own.)

Our first dives after certification were in Cozumel...boy...talk about hurrying you out of the boat to stay together!

As a female, I certainly enjoy the boat dives and being pampered by the boat crews. And, I think the key is to communicate with your boat crew...let them know that you are newly certified and what you may or may not be comfortable with.

This December, we are cruising with Princess...hope they use some decent dive ops.

I had my two kids certified over the spring and we are cruising to Grand Cayman and we will dive there.

I've checked so many CC Boards and gotten some leads. In summary it seems that the Carnival excursion prices are reasonable. Every private operator I looked at is higher priced than a Carnival Excursions trip. Sure I understand there will be fewer people by booking on our own but I was suprised to see pricing like that...and what happens if the ship skips the port.... do I lose the $500 for booking 5 divers on my own? Maybe the $85 is a less risky deal. What do you think?

I had my two kids certified over the spring and we are cruising to Grand Cayman and we will dive there.

I've checked so many CC Boards and gotten some leads. In summary it seems that the Carnival excursion prices are reasonable. Every private operator I looked at is higher priced than a Carnival Excursions trip. Sure I understand there will be fewer people by booking on our own but I was suprised to see pricing like that...and what happens if the ship skips the port.... do I lose the $500 for booking 5 divers on my own? Maybe the $85 is a less risky deal. What do you think?

I don't know about other operators, but if make a booking with http://www.neptunesdivers.com and your ship doesn't make a stop at Grand Cayman, you don't owe they anything, deposit is fully refunded. Their price for a 2 tank dive was $80, you can pick the sites, and no more than 8 divers max. I can personally recommend them as cruiser friendly and a quality dive op.

Bruce-r,

I have booked Neptune Diver's for my upcoming cruise and you've made me feel much better. Have you ever dived with Deep Blue in Cozumel, they will be my operator of choice in Coz...Neptune's is departing at 9:30 to allow time to get off the ship and to the beach, which is nice.

Loved your pictures, great to know 8 max per boat. I have my own equipment, but how was theirs? Computers?

Thanks!

Bruce-r,

Have you ever dived with Deep Blue in Cozumel, they will be my operator of choice in Coz.

Thanks!

No, I haven't used Deep Blue, but they do get good comments on Scubaboard.com and Scubadiving.com I went with http://www.bluextseadiving.com/ when I was there in March. I will probably used them again in December when we go there for a week.

I have my own equipment, but how was theirs? Computers?

I didn't pay any attention to their equipment since I have my own too, including computer.

I have been diving with Deep Blue in the past and plan on diving with them for 11 days in September. You made a good choice, don't worry. I'm assuming your ship arrives early or you are doing an afternoon dive. Their dive boats leave approx 9am for the 2 tank morning dive, 1:30 for the afternoon. Matt and Debbie are great people. They will take good care of you.

Have Fun

Rich

Thanks everyone...I'm quite happy with my choices!! My ship docks in Coz at (supposedly) 6:30 AM, so I should have plenty of time to get to where I need to be. Now I know that neither of these operations are near the pier/dock...any tips on how to get there? They both sound a bit complicated, form the emails I've received. FOr GC and Neptune's, should I take the public bus or hail a cab, they suggested either. For Coz, about how much for a cab and is it an expensive ride? Not that I have much of a choice, just trying to gauge how much cash to bring and how much to pay so I don't get

ripped off :eek:

Oh, almost forgot to ask...do they let you dive your computer?

There are three different cruise ship docks in Cozumel. The closest you could almost walk to the Deep Blue shop. The further piers are no more than a $6 cab ride each way. When you are done diving, if you ask they should be able to drop you off near the ship and save the return cab fare. All the cab drivers should know where Deep Blue is located. If they don't ask to go to "La Choza" a well known local eatery that is accross the street from Deep Blue. Don't forget to bring enough cash to tip the crew and yes they expect you to dive to your computer, not time limits.

When are you going to be there??

Rich

Cozumelinsider.com has a listing of the various ships and ports...last week the Zuiderdam, my ship, docked at Puerta Maya, I think. I'll have to wait until next weeks stop there to check for sure. I'll be in Coz on 8/24 and GC on 8/25, if all goes accordingly.

Debbie told me that they take my card for reservation purposes only, and that there is a 6% surcharge on cards in Coz, so she recommends I bring Trav Checks or cash. Now I don't doubt that this is the case with the system they use, as she was so honest about it, but is this the case all throughout the island, like if I go to a bar and eat lunch and pay with a card, I'll get 6% smacked on my tab?

Thanks!

Nikki

PS Out of curiosity, which pier is the closest to Deep Blue, so I can look on a map and get an idea...Puerta Maya, Punta Langosta, or the International?

Here is a link to a map of downtown.

http://www.gocozumel.com/map.htm

At the bottom is the waterfront. Where it says "New cruise ship pier" is the Punta Langosta Pier. The other two are farther south of town out of the frame of the map.

Deep Blue is on " Calle Rosada Salas" the road that runs east/west just south of the "Main Plaza" green area. It lies between the numbers 35 and 32 on the right hand side of the street.

As far as payment, yes it is true that the Mexican Banks charge vendors more for credit card transactions than they do in the states. So most encourage you to pay cash and some, not all, will charge a surcharge to cover the fee. You can also pay with peso's if you want. There are several banks a short distance away in the plaza that you can use your ATM card to withdraw pesos. Get Debbie to calculate your bill in pesos. The exchange rate is the best through the banks ATMs, you get the actual exchange rate of the bank day rather than a rounded number or lesser exchange from money changers. Pick up some extra pesos if you are planning on eating or shopping.

Have Fun

Rich

Looks like I am going to go with Neptune's divers for Grand Cayman. They say that they'll let us choose the sites "weather permitting" and there are no guarantees that we will be able to dive Sting Ray City (which is the reason I chose the cruise...because this port has SRC).

The price is a little higher but the 8 max will make a big difference to my group of divers. I just wish SRC was more of a sure thing..."if we dive, we'll do SRC" would make me feel better. My other choice is a one tank dive with Divers Down which is soley SRC. So, if you dive this trip, you dive SRC. A lot cheaper but missing reefs.

I guess one can't do it all and the Neptune's come so highly recommended, I am sure it will work out.

Thanks for posting info about all these fascinating places. I can't wait!

borntotravel, hubby & i are from texas, too. got certified in december at lake whitney b/c we were scheduled to go to grand cayman. we could not see our hands at the end of our arms, it was so murky! i remember jumping into that g.c. water and looking down. we were in about 60 feet of water and it was clearer than bath water. i never feared getting lost, as visibility was about 100 feet. i was hooked! your wife will be amazed. g.c. is a beautiful place to dive. we booked dives with soto's 9 of the 10 days we were there. they picked up at our condo and took very good care of us, knowing we were newbies. this was years ago and it still stands out in my mind. i have been diving in hawaii, mexico, florida & bahamas and i still vote for g.c.

whomever you book your diving with, i hope y'all have as much fun as we did!

Archived