How do you feel about cell phones on cruises, read this

Two years ago on Explorer of the Seas we did use our cell phones throughout the cruise. It was very convenient, as we had to call our hotel to change our reservation, because our ship was going to be late due to a hurricane. And it was very convenient for my mother, who called me or sent me an sms every now and then to check if we were still ok (the hurricane, you know). Of course I did not have my cell with me everywhere I went, just used it in my cabin and onshore. I remember there were some areas in the open sea where I lost the signal for a while, but otherwise it worked just perfectly!

I have been so accustomed to cell phones and people talking all the time almost anywhere, so it would not bother me, if they were doing that on a cruise also. It does not matter to me, whether people are talking on the phone or to a friend sitting besides them. I do not listen to them that carefully, that it would bother me when I do not hear the other side talking as well! :D (It has been researched, that the most annoying thing is the fact that you don't hear the other person and you miss half of the chat!)

I TAKE MY CELL PHONE and use it once a day for 5 minutes.............

I have a 90 year old Mom who is in a nursing home. I call her to check on her every day...........I used to use the ships phone and get charged $7.95 a minute.........now I take my cell phone and get charged $2.99 a minute........once that call is made........I put the phone in my safe until the next day.

There are times and emergencies when it is necessary to use your cell phone........and it isn't just checking in with the office...........if RC every drops their charges to a more reasonable rate per minute......I will gladly leave my cell phone at home..........

I hope if you are sitting on your balcony, chatting away on your cell phone, you are not next door to me because I might just reach around the barrier, grab that phone from your ear and throw it in the water! One of the things I LOVED about cruising was the peacefulness, especially out on the balconies. It's bad enough when people are out there on their phones while we're in port (and by the way, why does everyone have to talk SO LOUD when they're using a cell phone?), but now they'll be out there on sea days too!!! There are so few places left for escape!

Am I allowed to talk at all while on my balcony, or will that disturb you also? I'm not sure why all of you get so worked up about this. You can't control it, or keep people from doing it. I'd prefer not to hear people on their cell phones in the public areas of the ship either. But to complain about them using it while in their room or on their balcony is nuts.

Makes you wonder how we ever managed without them, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

People are so dependent on them, it is possible to survive without one, but obvioulsy not so convenient.

I wonder more how I used to survive without the internet, it wasn't that long ago!

Thanks everyone for joining in on my thread about the cell phones, its nice to get everyones opinion. I carry my with me as to use it after the cruise and before we leave port but not on the ship, I would not want to make anyones cruise miserable because I know how much my cruise means to me.

I read the article this morning and thought "just what the cruiselines need". It seems everyone has a cell phone connected to their ear when eating, shopping etc. I saw a lady holding two articles of clothing and talking on a cell phone asking what color to buy. What has happened to this world??

When the cruiselines implement this have a "cell phone area" just as they have a smoking area but there will be ones to disobey the rule and talk anywhere they want. It is funny that some people think that they don't have to obey the rules. There are those out there that think they are above the rules. Oh well life goes on.

No cell phone for me.:)

marcmedic, I don't mind people sitting out on their balcony talking. After all, they paid for a balcony and they should use it. What gets me is that people on cell phones tend to talk louder and often have to repeat themselves several times, which does get annoying. I understand the need to bring one for emergencies and maybe to check in with those at home, but to sit out there and chat just for the sake of chatting, I don't know.

And BTW, I'm not a grump about this because I am one of the 7 people left on the planet that does not have a cell phone. I have one, and I even take it with me on a cruise, but it stays locked in the safe. I only have it in case I need to make contact about travels plans, etc.

I am really happy to hear that the Majesty already has the service. I was a little nervous going on a cruise with "the girls" and leaving my husband to take care of our 4 boys. He will be just fine but I am feeling better that he can call and leave me a message just in case there is an emergency. Although as I am writing this I am thinking that if there was an emergency, why would I want to know?? :confused: There isn't anything I could do about it until I get home. I am not one to sit and chat while I am in a group of people, if my phone rings I usually pick it up and walk to a more private area. I don't need anyone else knowing my business!!!! ;) Some people just don't care or want others to listen in...... Before writing I thought I was happy and now just confused.

I don't mind cell phones in most places but I can't stand it when I go out for dinner at a nice quiet restaurant and there is someone talking on there cell phone so load that people in the parking lot can here them.

I have to say that people on there cell phones is sometimes entertaining. I love when I see the guy at the grocery store and he's on the phone with his wife asking which brand or type of an item he should get. It's really funny to see a guy with the phone stuck in his ear the entire time he's shopping and his wife is on the other end telling him what to buy. Wouldn't it be easier to just go to the store yourself? :D

I really hate when I go into a public restroom and there is someone on their phone :confused: of course I make sure to flush a few extra times.:D

I know a guy that can't stand when people are on their cell phones in inappropriate places or are talking really loud. When it happens he will begin to talk louder and louder and louder until the person either leaves or gets off the phone. It's actually funny to watch, he will begin talking fairly loud and then the person on the cell phone will have to talk louder and it just keeps going until the person on the phone realizes what is going on.

sar4boy, congrats on your first cruise. We loved the Majesty and had a wonderful time. We were so taken by the whole experience that we book our next cruise two weeks after returning.

I agree with you on the fact that there isn't a lot that you could do if you're out to see and there's an emergency at home, but I like the piece of mind that I get by checking in each day.

Ratt

Yeah, I noticed that in my cruise compass, I couldn't help but scoff a tad. As I mentioned in a previous post on this subject, *most* of us aren't so important we need to be reachable 24/7...perhaps we need to get over ourselves :p What I loved about cruising was the fact that things like cell phones were gone and I didn't have to listen to annoying conversations as I lay out on the pool deck, gone are the days I guess :(

~Steph

While my vacations are specifically to get away from things like the internet and cell phones, I don't skoff at those who can't. The days of high paying jobs where you show up at the factory and do your 8 hours are all but gone, and some people really need, or get enjoyment out of this type of communication.

Cell phones are not the problem, its the users and their lack of consideration. Talking louder into a cell phone does absolutely nothing to what the person on the other end hears. But some people automatically think they have to speak up. These same people tend to zone in on their conversation and the outside world doesn't exist. They are probably the worst cell phone/drivers.

I consider myself one of the world's most considerate cell phone users. I've trained myself to be aware of the situations around me while using it. I've trained myself to be extra aware while driving and if something unexpected happens, the cell phone gets dropped and apologies to the person on the other end comes later. When customers call and I'm on the road, I ask them to email me or call my phone again so I can let it go to voicemail (After our conversation)

You also have to be technically competent of your own phone. Learn how vibrate works, and how to check your call history. I leave my cell phone on in movie theaters all the time. (on vibrate of course) Nobody hears the vibration and I can quickly check the caller ID with out answering the phone. If needed, I can step out into the foyer and return the call. My customers and family know if I don't answer and its an emergency, hang up and call right back, all other calls go to voicemail, which I can check later. All my customers and family also know how to send a text message. I can get those, and read them with everyone around me oblivious to it.

In public places I can answer the phone and talk quietly. If the conversation might take a while, I will move to a spot out of aisleways, out of a dining room, to a place I'm not in anyone's way. (That includes if I'm laying near you on a deck chair)

I agree, not a good idea! Hopefully they will ban cell phones in the dining room. I would hate to have to listen to 1000 cell phones ringing during dinner time. ugh...:mad:

This brings up an interesting point, I don't know if anyone has mentioned it as I haven't gotten through the whole thread yet, but in the US the FCC has laws against any type of cell phone jamming equipment. I don't know if, while at sea, they could use this type of equipment to make sure nobody uses one in the dining room.

I'd just as soon as it be a cooperative thing not to use them in a dining room.

Am I allowed to talk at all while on my balcony, or will that disturb you also? I'm not sure why all of you get so worked up about this. You can't control it, or keep people from doing it. I'd prefer not to hear people on their cell phones in the public areas of the ship either. But to complain about them using it while in their room or on their balcony is nuts.

She was exaggarating of course, but it does point out the misconception that many people have that talking louder into a cell phone actually does anything.

Say it ain't so...........................:(

It is so irritating to hear people "firing up" the cell phones as soon as they get in port. On our Jewel cruise in April, there was a guy in the Windjammer talking on his phone so loud the whole room was looking at him. You couldn't hear yourself think, much less talk to anyone near you. He was oblivious! Probaby also smokes in the non-smoking areas, puts babies in diapers in the pool, let's his kids spend all day in the solarium AND puts towels on 10 lounge chairs right by the pool at 6:00 a.m. :p

I, too, have a cell that I take on board and promptly lock in the safe. I never want to be so important that I can't go on vacation without the phone stuck to my ear.

My family and my employer have the ship info and if there is a "true" emergency, they know where to reach me. If the house or office isn't burning down, they better not be calling!! :D

Guest cvbart

Boy we sure need some more cruise ship rules.

If you don't want to use your cell phone then don't bring it.

Who is going to enforce all the new cell phone rules most of you seem to want...the fashion police.

Some people have very good reasons for taking a cell phone on a cruise.

Do you folks ever stop complaining about everything and anything.

I sure have to agree with the poster who mentioned about people in bathroom stalls using the phone. Gosh, you just cant have any quiet time even in the loo.

As long as you have inconsiderate people, there are going to be people who have to say something about it. I certainly get tired of hearing cell phones ring with their stupid ring tones and one sided conversations. "CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW"

Whatever did we do without cell phones???

I have to say that, yes, it does bother me because voices are so loud when speaking on a cell and I can't hear the whole conversation. I do love to eavesdrop and I will listen to your end of the phone call. If you don't want me to, walk away to a more private place. If you want to stay put, at least put the call on speakerphone, so we can all hear.

The world is turning into what seems like so many schizophrenics, everyone is talking to themselves. I love the Bluetooth earpieces, next we'll just have a device like a hearing aid. Then we can all walk around looking like we are talking to ourselves.

The worlds most considerate cell phone users don't use their phones while driving :)

I prefer having my brain completely engaged when driving a car. No cell, no reading, no makeup application, no beverages while driving.

It seems that all the worlds considerate cell phone users have found their way to this thread. None of you were on my cruise last week on the Rhapsody. Cell phone use was widespread and intrusive...and Rhapsody isn't even wired yet for the new cellular service. All it took was for a cell tower to appear over the horizon and out popped the cell phones.

I don't hold out much hope of cruise lines having quiet zones with no cell phone use. They are making money off of this deal and will want you to use your phones as often as possible.

Archived