Nomadic to Belfast

travel-to-go

How did we miss this one?

From Maritime matters:

NOMADIC On the Move

July 12: White Star's last remaining vessel, the former tender SS NOMADIC, departed Le Havre at about 7:30AM local time today on a barge headed for Belfast (where she was launched on April 25, 1911). Northern Ireland's Department of Social Development bought the ship at auction in Paris for Euros 250,000. Once in Belfast, she will be moored near the Odyssey Arena for two days for public viewing. Click on Ship News Pics for images of her departing Le Havre this morning under tow.

http://www.maritimematters.com/shipnews.html

Karie,

Be sure to scroll down the photos. Some inspiring, some very sad.

Once in Belfast, she will be moored near the Odyssey Arena for two days for public viewing.

Does anyone know if she's arrived in Belfast? Is the viewing over? What's going to happen to her now?

Does anyone know if she's arrived in Belfast? Is the viewing over? What's going to happen to her now?

I thought I had either posted this some time ago, or maybe learned about it here (Which is more likely, since there are so many VERY knowledgable people on these boards)

I read all up on her, back some time ago, and how they had to remove her top deck to float her down the Seine where she was used as a beautiul floating restaurant for some time. Then they tried to have her made into a national monument, and finally, if I remember correctly, they raised money to take her "home"

Here is the web site (and others you can link to from there) where I first learned of her then upcoming journey back home.

http://www.titanic-titanic.com/nomadic.shtml

Enjoy!

I hope she will be well loved and preserved and borught back to some of her former grandeur.

Though not totally authentic, the pics of her as a deluxe flaoting restaurant were indeed beautiful

Karie,

Who would try to save all things worthy if she could.

Archived