Scuba, Snuba, and Snorkeling in Cozumel Thread

dbrady

I know the shore diving probably isn't fantastic post-Hurricane, but I'm just not fond of boat dives. Any recommendations for shore diving? I saw Scuba Club Cozumel has an area in front of them for diving and they rent tanks there. Thanks! Donna

Donna,

Below are some websites that have information on shore diving. My wife and I use to live in Ft. Lauderdale and did alot of shore diving so we are kind of partial to it as well. Although we have been to Cozumel several times we have not done a shore dive their, we have only done boat dives.

If you go to Grand Cayman, Eden Rocks and Devils Grotto, which is just to the right of where the tenders are, has some very good shore diving.

Roger

Go Gators!

http://www.scubaclubcozumel.com/shoredivingF.html

http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Caribbean_/Cozumel_/index.htm

http://www.cozumelparks.com.mx/eng/attr-dive.asp

I was wondering if any of you know more about this trip. I can't find a thing more about it. RC said it must be new and that's why there's nothing about it. Any thoughts on what you think it could be for those of you who've been in the area any help would be great. I'm booked to go the 1st part of January. I love turtles so much I think we'd have fun if it's a decent trip. He's all RC has on it:

Join us on an exhilarating snorkel experience at Yal-Ku Lagoon. This site is located off the beaten path where its pristine waters are abundant with marine life. From there, take a short ride to Akumal white sandy beaches. Take this rare opportunity to swim along Log-Head Sea Turtles on the open ocean. Please note: Only Biodegradable Sun Tan lotion can be used when swimming with the turtles.

We'll be in Cozumel next month and would like to do some shore snorkeling.

Two of us in the group are experienced divers/snorkelers, but one in our group is pretty inexperienced. For that reason, we don't want anyplace with strong current (like the Northern shores.)

We are considering El Cid.

We were in Coz in July and snorkeled at Paradise Beach. It was awful!

Can anyone suggest a good shore snorkeling spot?

D.

Ignore the message below. I got distracted by the scuba talk and forgot you were asking about shore snorkeling

Still, the better snorkeling will be done from a boat, so I'd recommend that you do a boat snorkel trip. The most frequented snorkel sites don't have current nearly as "exciting" as the northern dive sites.

If you are still set on a shore snorkel, Dzul Ha is where to go.

dzulha1.jpg dzulha2.jpg dzulha3.jpg

Click on the images above to see larger images.

Ignore this part

Unfortunately, compared to the boat dives in Cozumel, there are no "good" shore dives in Cozumel, especially since wilma.

I'd still take your new diver friend boat diving. Just make sure you let the DM know that you want to dive a couple of the easier, lower current dive sites. If you have a group of 4 divers, you can do a private charter with http://www.divewithmartin.com and then you will definitely be able to decide on the dive sites.

If you are still determined to do a shore dive, try the shore dive at the Blue Angel dive shop next to Caribe Blue. You can rent tanks at the dive shop there. You are likely to encounter a slight current there too, so you might want to walk a little way to the south to get in then drift back down to the dive shop.

The inexperienced person isn't a diver. For reasons that we won't get into in this thread, we only want to do a shore SNORKEL in Cozumel. (as previously stated)

Bruce, thanks for the reply but please read my original post again.

We want to SNORKEL from the SHORE in COZUMEL.

D.

Sand Dollar has a new little place on the water, hesitant to call it a beach, but it's named "Sunset Beach" between the Hotel Casa del Mar and the Hotel Carib Blue, so it is conveniently snuggled between the two working cruise terminals.

I'm not sure why except for maybe Sand Dollar's cruise passengers and also Furry Catamarans put lots of snorkelers in the water there from both boat and shore. It's easy access and not too strong currents most of the time. Sand Dollar also does snuba there.

Traditional favorites such as Dzul Ha and Playa Corona are also open and there are lots of reports of new reef growth as well as fish abundance.

Dzul Ha is open and pleaseltly remodeled. Still the reef is recovering and it'll be a while, but it's evident the process of healing is already taking place and there are fish and other maine life, a CLEAR indication the reef is in recovery; that's what they live off of.

The clubs are open. Say hello to Joel at Dzul-Ha for us, or stop in at Sherri Davis' PalMar Beach Clut at Dzul Ha, a super elegant beach garden with fresh water pool and bar for the guest. Sherri is also the owner of Cozumel Insider http://www.cozumelinsider.com

If you have your own equipment you can go to where the locals go at Paradise Reef. Have the taxi driver take you to the Caleta Marina. Before entering the Marina gate, there is a road to the right. Partway down this road is an opening to the left. Enter the water here. When ready to leave, just walk the short distance back to the marina and have them get you a taxi.

A lot of the close in reefs were heavily damaged by Wilma. That is why everyone is telling to take a boat to where the reefs are not as damaged.

Dave

Is Paradise Reef the same as Paradise Beach?

If so, we were there in July, 2006. We were underimpressed.

Paradise Reef is to the right of the Puerta Maya pier but before you get to the entrance to the Caleta Marina. Paradise Beach is several kilometers to the south. When Carnival built their pier, they destroyed part of this reef system. They are now wanting to expand the pier to be able to handle four ships instead of two.

Dave

I have read and re-read all of the snorkeling threads here and I am still confused as to what we should do...

We have snorkeled for years and really love to snorkel from shore but if the shore reefs are damaged we are willing to take a boat trip. We do not like the boats that take 20+ snorkelers out and dump you out together so all you are doing is bumping into other bodies.

We are looking for recommendations....wing it and go to Dzul Ha (or if you know of another good shore snorkeling spot) and hope for some decent shore snorkeling...or...can you suggest a great snorkel operator who has a smaller boat and takes 12 or less out for a snorkel excursion? If you know what reefs they go to that would be helpful as well.

Thanks,

Holly

Try Eagle Ray, I have seen them working with pretty decent size groups.

The thing about snorkeling being so big is that they have to cover all the expenses to get to the reef and thats why you will see most operators deal with larger groups so they can make some money trhough volume.

I will keep an eye on who can take smaller groups and will give you a mail

what dates will you be here?

Adrian

We have reserved the snorkeling/beach break at Playa Uvas for our March cruise. Here are my questions:

1. Do you swim to the snorkle area?

2. If so, how far is it?

3. How rough is the water there?

4. Do you need to be a strong swimmer and/or in good physical shape?

5. Are the snorkelers closely supervised or is it more a "here we are, now go snorkle" type of expedition?

6. What can we expect to see after the damage from Wilma?

Thanks for any help.

Archived