Scuba, Snuba, and Snorkeling in Cozumel Thread

dbrady

I contacted Alison a few days ago. We booked a last minute special and were checking to see if she had openings on Wednesday, November 22.

She said they had rented an extra boat and were still overbooked that whole week (I checked and there are 8 ships in port that day!).

I will check with another couple of operators, but it looks like it may be a beach/snorkle day <sigh>

So sorry you'll miss diving with Alison .... hopefully you'll find someone else with a spot open - we've been out with both Blue Angel & Papa Hogs in the past .... but with them it depends if you can get to them in time for their boats ... since they have so much on-island business, they usually aren't too flexable for cruisers .....

Keep Alison on your future dive list ... she's wonderful!!!

We have booked a combination Dive (DW&I) and snorkel (DS, DD&DH) trip for Nov 22 with Eagle Ray Divers last spring - (http://www.eagleraydivers.com) - they may have some spaces left on the boat for either divers or snorkelers. Do to our arrival time on the Norwegian Majesty, we are not leaving until 10-10:30 am

We have done previous trips with Eagle Ray and they are great. Just fair warning - Chellie was due to have a baby about this time, so she may be a little slow to respond to your email (chellie@eagleraydivers.com)

I contacted Alison a few days ago. We booked a last minute special and were checking to see if she had openings on Wednesday, November 22.

She said they had rented an extra boat and were still overbooked that whole week (I checked and there are 8 ships in port that day!).

I will check with another couple of operators, but it looks like it may be a beach/snorkle day <sigh>

You definitely do not have to settle with just snorkeling in Cozumel. There are over 50 dive operators on the island, most of the are good ones. You should be able to find one that has space.

If you are looking for a combo snorkel/dive trip, Blue Angel does such a trip and they depart at 10:00 am. That time should work for a cruise arrival.

Hello Desert Artist,

my family will be on a Thanksgiving cruise. There are three if us and we are new divers. If we are going to be in port on the same day maybe we can spilt a charter if you would like. Please let me know. We are going on the RCCL Enchantment of the Seas.

Hi tpride,

We too are sailing RCCL but on the Explorer and will be in Cozumel the day after you ( Thanksgiving Day ) Would have been great to share a charter - but the timing is wrong. Let me know who you end up booking with ~ we can swap dive stories after the cruise

Thanks, I wish it would have worked. I checked we do have have 8 ships in port that day. I have an e-mail in to Eagleraydivers and pelagicventures but I haven't heard back yet from them. I will let you know more when I know more. If we can't dive in Cozumel maybe in Belize. Just found out instead of going to Cococay we are going to Belize.

Thanks, I wish it would have worked. I checked we do have have 8 ships in port that day. I have an e-mail in to Eagleraydivers and pelagicventures but I haven't heard back yet from them. I will let you know more when I know more. If we can't dive in Cozumel maybe in Belize. Just found out instead of going to Cococay we are going to Belize.

FYI - I have e-mailed all the dive recommendations on this thread hoping there were some openings the day after you. Alison was over-booked, haven't heard from Martin & a few others yet. But did hear from Eagle Ray that can accommodate us and also Scuba Tony. I think we'll go with Tony says he has 2 beginners booked which will work well with my newly certified daughter. Said he takes 6 max - 2 two tank dives with a 1 hour beach break between. You might try ScubaTony ( link above in this thread ) Good luck!!

Still haven't heard back. Maybe I will send another e-mail. I don't like to be the one who bugs people. Maybe one more e-mail. Thanks for the info

Chellie at eagle ray divers has just gotten home from giving birth to a little girl.

Try sending email to her husband. He has been answering emails

antonio@eagleraydivers.com

Sailing on the Enchantment leaving 11/6- have 2 questions:

1) How do I find out how many other ships are in Cozumel on November 8th?

2) I remember seeing a snorkeling excursion available from Paradise Beach but can't seem to find any info now?

Any ideas?

2) I remember seeing a snorkeling excursion available from Paradise Beach but can't seem to find any info now?

Any ideas?

Any ideas?

Try cruisecal dot com

Yes if you go to PB web site they have a link there for the tour, it is hosted by the furry. At the top of this thread or the main coz page the banner rotates between PB, and the furry. Have a great trip!

My family (4) just got back from the 10/1 sailing on the Conquest. We booked with PaPa Hogs. My two sons were taking their first ocean dives so we wanted to do something a little shallower for safety reasons. I am not a big fan of suggesting that those less experienced divers go on a normal deeper dive and just hang out shallower. You want to keep the group together. (Sorry for the bunny trail).

Anyway, we told Papa Hogs of our needs for a shallower dive. They had a boat ready and waiting on the 4 of us when we arrived. They taylored the dive shallower for our needs and it was absolutely perfect. Risendo, our dive master did a fantastic job. Having a private boat was the way to go. You can't miss diving there it was beautiful.

Have fun.

ps. Papa Hoggs did not look like much. I think it was about $270 for the 4 of us.

pss. Risendo tought us to use toothpaste to keep our masks from fogging. New to us.... Worked like a charm, and we had that minty fresh smell :D

Agree there! The reason I like what I have read about ScubaTony - he was an LA cop for 5 years - tried scuba and found a new path in life. Imagine - a cop in LA to diving in Cozumel! Anyway - he said he'd pair our family with new divers ( 2 ) so I assume it will be a mellow dive - nothing too dramatic.

Total - 6 on the boat. Does not get more custom than that.

Agree there! The reason I like what I have read about ScubaTony - he was an LA cop for 5 years - tried scuba and found a new path in life. Imagine - a cop in LA to diving in Cozumel! Anyway - he said he'd pair our family with new divers ( 2 ) so I assume it will be a mellow dive - nothing too dramatic.

Total - 6 on the boat. Does not get more custom than that.

I've seen Tony at Playa Palancar a couple of time for the surface interval. They sell really tasty fish tacos there, yumm. I'd recommend that you take some money with you for a snake between dives if you stop there.

Playa Palancar Photo Gallery

Our cruise ship, Carnival Fantasy will be stopping in Cozumel. I was wondering if anyone has been on the Fiesta Party Boat or the Snorkel Beach Party Catamaran(Famous Fury) excursion. There are 6 couples in our group and we are looking for a fun excursion. We would like to snorkel but we would also like to enjoy some cocktails and fun too!:D Any info will be appreciated.

I've seen Tony at Playa Palancar a couple of time for the surface interval. They sell really tasty fish tacos there, yumm. I'd recommend that you take some money with you for a snake between dives if you stop there.

Playa Palancar Photo Gallery

He did say there will be a 1 hour beach break between dives. I like that idea too - I get so cold when I dive even with my wet suit. So that will give me time to warm up again :) I heard from Diving with Martin today after I put my deposit down with Tony. Apparently there are more dive openings Thanksgiving day than the day before....we got lucky!

HELP!! Our multi-generation family leaves on Monday 11/6 on the Enchantment and we had hoped to spend the day at Paradise Beach where some of us could loll around and others could do the catamaran snorkeling. Tom now tells me that because the Disney ship is in port the catamaran snorkeling is not available. Anybody know any other places in Cozumel that offer the flexibility of doing both beach and snorkeling from the same locale?

Thanks

Palancar Beach also runs a boat snorkel trip. It's the beach club furthest south from downtown, so will cost a bit more in a taxi, but it's a beautiful spot.

At the southernmost point of the island, Punta Sur beach is beautiful and has very good snorkeling about 200 yards of the shore (not really for beginners). It is part of a natural reserve, so the facilities are more basic than at a beach club and they charge $10 entry.

Otherwise, you can still have good snorkeling from the beach pretty much anywhere along the west coast, but the best reef is to the south.

You could take a look at this Cozumel beach guide for more information about beaches, facilities, cost of snorkeling etc.

Ian

We used eagle ray several years ago when we went to cozumel.. Has anyone used them lately?? Do you still have to get a cab to the pier?? Also, on their website it says that they provide lunch on the boat, not a resturant anymore.. Any ideas???

thanks,

They do not have lunch on the boat anymore, as most of the beach clubs are now up and running again, and we had a DELICIOUS lunch at Casa del Mar, which has a fresh water swimming pool and showers and is VERY close to the International Pier so a taxi back to the ship wasn't necessary... we were there October 10 and had an INCREDIBLE day as always with Bernardo as our guide....Eagle Ray is, and always has been, TOP NOTCH.... have a GREAT time and tell Antonio, Chellie, Luis and Bernardo that Suzanne says Hello!!:D

My wife and I will be on the Star Princess during Thanksgiving. Has anyone done the 3 tank dive that is offered as one of the shore excursions in Cozumel? It takes out both snorklers and divers. We did one of the shore excursion dives in Cozumel last year and the dive operator was pretty good.

We have tried several times to book private operators, however we found it difficult making the early dive in time and the afternoon dive gets back to close to the ships departure time.

My wife and I will be on the Star Princess during Thanksgiving. Has anyone done the 3 tank dive that is offered as one of the shore excursions in Cozumel? It takes out both snorklers and divers. We did one of the shore excursion dives in Cozumel last year and the dive operator was pretty good.

We have tried several times to book private operators, however we found it difficult making the early dive in time and the afternoon dive gets back to close to the ships departure time.

You will be in Coz the same day we are - Nov 22. We are on the Norwegian Majesty and will be arriving after you. We have booked (since Feb) with Eagle Ray Divers and since we booked early, we will be departing at about 10 - 10:30 local time. We have 2 divers and 3 snorkelers - and ERD does a great job of handling a mixed group - dop the divers off deep and then the snorkelers. You might want to contact them and see if they have room left for a couple of more. Email Chellie, if you want.

chellie@eagleraydivers.com

Archived