Scuba, Snuba, and Snorkeling in Cozumel Thread

dbrady

We're thinking about doing the Passion Island excursion on our Feb. 3rd sailing on the Grand, but we really want to snorkel while in Cozumel (and besides, this excursion is kind of pricey!) Does anyone know if it's possible to snorkel from the beach there? We have our own snorkeling equipment, so that wouldn't be a problem.

We considered Paradise Beach, but there will be 5 ships in port that day and we're afraid it will be too crowded!

What about Nachi Cocom Beach Club? Anyone have comments about it?

If anyone has other suggestions for a nice beach, great snorkeling, food/drink options and not too crowded all for a reasonable price, please suggest away!

Thanks!

I asked all those same questions not too long ago. This is what I found out...

Passion Island is overrated and no snorkeling

Paradise is nice but crowded

Best Place to shore snorkel is Dzul Ha

We are going to Palancar Beach...nice beach, calm water, local flavor and NOT crowded. It is a $20 cab ride form the port vs a $12, but it seem worth it to get away to the throngs of people. And you can do a snorkel trip right from there.

I asked all those same questions not too long ago. This is what I found out...

Passion Island is overrated and no snorkeling

Paradise is nice but crowded

Best Place to shore snorkel is Dzul Ha

We are going to Palancar Beach...nice beach, calm water, local flavor and NOT crowded. It is a $20 cab ride form the port vs a $12, but it seem worth it to get away to the throngs of people. And you can do a snorkel trip right from there.

Thank you Eduardo. As usual, you have answered all my questions completely. I now know just what to expect. We are counting down the time until we see you in March! Everything we have read and heard about Playa Uvas tells us we're in for a very special day.

-Monica

Kristen, thanks for the response. After doing some more research, it seems that Dzul Ha (um, how do you pronounce it?) gets the best recommendations for snorkeling and is probably what we'll end up doing.

Do you know anything about Corona Beach? It looks like it might also be a good option.

I had no problem, the Margarita's are not frozen, but were pretty tasty,

I know I polished off a load of them and felt no pain, beer was great too,

they never left you with a empty either, soon as your cup was close to empty

a full one appeared, It's a fun time watching all the timid people turn into party animals!! Have fun

Cheers

Gerry

My husband and I are getting our scuba diving certification by the end of this year and we are going on a cruise stopping in Cozumel on January.

We wanted to skip the pricy cruise excursions and plan our own.

Does anybody has good advise regarding where we should dive and where we should rent our equipment at?

Thanks

I recently became certified (3 days ago). We are using "Papa Hogs" later this month. I believe all of the dive shops will supply/rent the gear for you.

I'm sure BruceR will show up soon to give you some insight.

Bruce- Have you used or heard of anything good/bad/or ugly about Papa Hogs? From everything I've read they seem to be a good operator.

Kevin.

Bruce- Have you used or heard of anything good/bad/or ugly about Papa Hogs? From everything I've read they seem to be a good operator.

Kevin.

Papa Hogs is a reputable dive operator. I've read mostly good things about them, but have no personal experience diving with them.

My personal favorite is http://www.bluextseadiving.com. The owner, Christi is a friend and she provides excellent customer service. I'd be diving with her again this Christmas, but I didn't get to pick the vacation this year, the kids did.

A very close second is http://www.liquidbluediving.com

Others I would also consider diving with are, in no particular order are:

http://www.scubawithalison.com Christi often recommends Alison when she is full.

http://www.scubatony.com Tony did some excellent charity work right after hurricane wilma and seems like a real nice guy.

Blue Angel has a full service dive shop with a once decent shore dive. They also offer a combo snorkel/dive trip if you are traveling with non-divers and want to stay together.

There are about 70-80 more dive operators in Cozumel, so you don't lack choices.

hope this helps,

B

. 6, The reef has been recovering from last year hurricane's damage, and you will be able to see species like queen angelfish, rock beauty, sea star, creole wrasse, glasseye snapper, red hind, yellowtail damselfish, sergeant major, bar jack, banded butterflyfish, common sea fan, blue chromis, yellow tails, lobsters, green morenas, blueheads, and many more. The reef may not be the same, but marine life, as mother nature is wise and little by little recovers

Didn't quite find all of that during my snorkel at Uvas, but in addition, found a spotted moray and sting ray.

. 6, The reef has been recovering from last year hurricane's damage, and you will be able to see species like queen angelfish, rock beauty, sea star, creole wrasse, glasseye snapper, red hind, yellowtail damselfish, sergeant major, bar jack, banded butterflyfish, common sea fan, blue chromis, yellow tails, lobsters, green morenas, blueheads, and many more. The reef may not be the same, but marine life, as mother nature is wise and little by little recovers

Didn't quite find all of that during my snorkel at Uvas (didn't find a lobster), but in addition, found a spotted moray and sting ray.

Thanks for the info sea_breaze, also, do you know about how much everything should cost (I just want to make sure I'm really saving money doing i myself).

Thanks again

They are charging us $56.00/pp for a 2 tank dive which includes our equipment (We are bringing our own snorkel,mask, and fins). We are going to be down there Christmas Week, which is a very busy time so maybe you would get a better price (not sure). As I recall it seems that the ships were charging $100.00+/pp for this type of excursion.

Their website is www.papahogs.com or you can call them toll free @ 1-877-389-3624. They are owned by a couple transplanted from Canada and the phone # puts you in touch with one of the owners sister in Canada (Very nice Lady).

They would be located less then 2 miles from pier, regardless of which pier you were at as they are between the far south pier and the "in town" piers. It looks like their boats head out about 9:00am and are back around 1:00pm, so depending on what time you arrive this could be very doable.

Hope this helps.

Papa Hogs is a reputable dive operator. I've read mostly good things about them, but have no personal experience diving with them.

My personal favorite is http://www.bluextseadiving.com. The owner, Christi is a friend and she provides excellent customer service. I'd be diving with her again this Christmas, but I didn't get to pick the vacation this year, the kids did.

A very close second is http://www.liquidbluediving.com

Others I would also consider diving with are, in no particular order are:

http://www.scubawithalison.com Christi often recommends Alison when she is full.

http://www.scubatony.com Tony did some excellent charity work right after hurricane wilma and seems like a real nice guy.

Blue Angel has a full service dive shop with a once decent shore dive. They also offer a combo snorkel/dive trip if you are traveling with non-divers and want to stay together.

There are about 70-80 more dive operators in Cozumel, so you don't lack choices.

hope this helps,

B

Bruce - you seem to be the go-to guy on this topic, so here is my question for you.

My daughter is an experienced diver, and she wants to dive in every port during our upcoming New Year's cruise. She has gone on scuba diving trips by herself from home many times, getting herself there, etc. On our previous cruises, I have booked her on the ship's own excursions.

Is Christi easy enough to get to, and friendly enough, that she would feel comfortable travelling there by herself from the ship? She is 21.

Also, is it possible to go to Christi at the same time that my daughter is scuba diving, and go on a snorkeling or just a boat excursion? I snorkel, but my son (18) refuses.

It's hard to find something that we all want to do. If you think that my daughter would be ok being completely independent, going to and from the ship, I wouldn't have to go to the same place, and then I'd just have to be concerned about amusing myself and my son.

I hate to spend all that extra money using the ship's excursion if this is a place and a company that makes it easy to go independent!

Many thanks.

Bruce - you seem to be the go-to guy on this topic, so here is my question for you.

My daughter is an experienced diver, and she wants to dive in every port during our upcoming New Year's cruise. She has gone on scuba diving trips by herself from home many times, getting herself there, etc. On our previous cruises, I have booked her on the ship's own excursions.

Is Christi easy enough to get to, and friendly enough, that she would feel comfortable travelling there by herself from the ship? She is 21.

Like most of the dive operators in Cozumel, cruise divers will need to take a taxi to the marina to meet the dive boat. The taxi ride is short and will cost around $6 to $8 for up to 4 people.

Also, is it possible to go to Christi at the same time that my daughter is scuba diving, and go on a snorkeling or just a boat excursion? I snorkel, but my son (18) refuses.
To my knowledge, Christi doesn't offer combo snorkel/dive trips. Blue Angel and Eagleray both do and I'm sure they'd let someone go along on the boat, but probably not for free.

It's hard to find something that we all want to do. If you think that my daughter would be ok being completely independent, going to and from the ship, I wouldn't have to go to the same place, and then I'd just have to be concerned about amusing myself and my son.
Your daughter would be find going diving by herself. If you arranged it in advance, it might be possible for you to meet up with her during the surface interval. Many dive operators spend the time, often 1 1/2 hours, at one of the beach clubs. Christi, as well as scubatony and Liquid Blue all often use Playa Palancar. You could go there, do the snorkel trip they offer that departs from the beach there, then meet your daughter there.

This is my second Cruise. I take one a year with my girlfriend. We are going on the mariner of the sea for new years and stopping in Couzamel. I have no idea what to do. We are in our mid 20s and looking to do anything to do with water, scuba, beaches or going around town. we arent the typical young party people but we love to have fun. Any ideas of things to do in couzamel. im trying to stay away from shore excursion with RC because they are price. please help, anyone?

Roger +Natalie

David...we just returned and used Roswitha Flury (Mystic Snorkel). It was wonderful! The 4 of us had our own boat (with a Capt, Roswitha & a guide). She is very reasonable for what you get...up to 6 was $260 for 4 hrs. We went to 3 snorkel spots and the third was a drift with the boat following us the whole time. Drinks and fresh fruit were included. We felt very safe and everyone is very attentive and fun. She can take more if you request it.

Kathy

Has anyone done snuba in Cozumel? Who did you use and how was your experience? I am planing my upcoming trip and looking for some suggestions. I tried posting in the scuba and snorkeling forum bu have not received any response.

Has anyone had luck booking this on their own, it's 4.5 hours vs 3 and it's not at 9 am, kinda early to party. It asks for your hotel name on their website.

Which excursion are you referring to? This thread lists several different operators and even activities and you didn't specify or reply to a specific post.

If a reservation request asks for hotel infomration, simply put your ship name. If yo are wanting to dive, you shouldn't be partying anyway...drinking and diving DO NOT MIX. It's recipe for disaster in more ways than one.

Thank you for the response. I would try the scuba, but my sister won't do that.

I see that Paradise beach has snorkeling but I didn't see anything about snuba. I will have to check with them.

Archived