New Royal Caribbean Ship, Genesis??

Hello All,

I found this today looking for ship pictures. I'm not sure if this has already been talked about, but it's new to me. They say it's a prototype... so does that mean they are really bulding it? Looks huge!

Royal Caribbean International ordered a new generation cruise vessel from Aker Yards on 6 February 2006. The 220,000 GRT ship, a prototype developed under Project Genesis, will be 360 m long, 47 m wide, 65 m high above waterline and accommodate 5,400 passengers.

Technical specifications

Length 360 m

Breadth 47 m

Depth 65 m

Gross tonnage 220,000

Passenger capacity 5,400

http://www.akerfinnyards.com/image.cfm?i=175&s=m

Hello All,

I found this today looking for ship pictures. I'm not sure if this has already been talked about, but it's new to me. They say it's a prototype... so does that mean they are really bulding it? Looks huge!

Royal Caribbean International ordered a new generation cruise vessel from Aker Yards on 6 February 2006. The 220,000 GRT ship, a prototype developed under Project Genesis, will be 360 m long, 47 m wide, 65 m high above waterline and accommodate 5,400 passengers.

Technical specifications

Length 360 m

Breadth 47 m

Depth 65 m

Gross tonnage 220,000

Passenger capacity 5,400

http://www.akerfinnyards.com/image.cfm?i=175&s=m

Many of us from the Freedom Inaugural are planning to cruise the Inaugural for the Genesis class ship, too. I'm pretty sure it's not being built yet but the order has been placed for it. RC and Aker are currently building the Liberty and the other sister ship to Freedom and Liberty. Genesis is expected in 2009 and many of us will be on it for the Inaugural.

There are other threads showing the "artist's rendition" of the new ship. Of course that very well may not have anything to do with what it looks like when they finally "float the boat".

I can't wait to see this thing. Its going to be awesome from a shear size matter. I mean this is truly revolutionary and visionary. The first time I heard about the Genesis ship I was completely intrigued. They better make another documentary on the building of this ship for Discovery channel.

Guest LetMeGo
I'm pretty sure it's not being built yet but the order has been placed for it. RC and Aker are currently building the Liberty and the other sister ship to Freedom and Liberty. Genesis is expected in 2009 and many of us will be on it for the Inaugural.

I did mention in another thread that it takes approximately two years to build the ship from steel plates to finished product. With a prototype it's prrobably going to take a few months longer. The rough plans for the hull must be known at least some months before the work begins (so there is enough time for RCCL, USCG and the classification society to approve the design).

The delivery is apparently set for year 2009, but I don't know which month. I do know that the sea around the shipyard starts to freeze in December, so it would be foolish to have set the delivery date anywhere later than October...

That means the outward appearance of the ship will be finalised in about six months time from now, unless it has already happened. I think the scetch is a fairly good representation of what the ship will look like, because the shipyard wouldn't be allowed to release it with the RCCL logo painted on the side unless it was already approved. (I doubt Aker Finnyards is taking any chances to lose more than half of its annual turnover with RCCL.)

I did mention in another thread that it takes approximately two years to build the ship from steel plates to finished product. With a prototype it's prrobably going to take a few months longer. The rough plans for the hull must be known at least some months before the work begins (so there is enough time for RCCL, USCG and the classification society to approve the design).

The delivery is apparently set for year 2009, but I don't know which month. I do know that the sea around the shipyard starts to freeze in December, so it would be foolish to have set the delivery date anywhere later than October...

That means the outward appearance of the ship will be finalised in about six months time from now, unless it has already happened. I think the scetch is a fairly good representation of what the ship will look like, because the shipyard wouldn't be allowed to release it with the RCCL logo painted on the side unless it was already approved. (I doubt Aker Finnyards is taking any chances to lose more than half of its annual turnover with RCCL.)

Thanks for your response. I'm looking forward to reservations opening up for Genesis hopefully I can book it while on the Liberty Inaugural in May...:D

Guest LetMeGo
Thanks for your response. I'm looking forward to reservations opening up for Genesis hopefully I can book it while on the Liberty Inaugural in May...:D

Do they really start selling the 2009 season that early, or are you just being optimistic? :D

It's a shame I don't work at Aker Finnyards anymore... I did after all find out about the surfing area almost two months before it was made public last year. :eek: :p

Do they really start selling the 2009 season that early, or are you just being optimistic? :D

It's a shame I don't work at Aker Finnyards anymore... I did after all find out about the surfing area almost two months before it was made public last year. :eek: :p

Yes, I booked Freedom 15 months out; the first day reservations opened up. I also have friends that are booked on RC for April 08.

Well, if you find out any secrets about the Genesis project.....please keep us informed;)

Cheers,

Archived