Where to stay in NY (Legend Cruise)

DroopyCruiser

Droopy - I'd recommend checking out the United States board under Ports of Call or the East Coast Homeports board; there are several threads on New York hotels. "Economical" is a difficult term in New York, and September is a prime tourist month. Do you have any thoughts about where you might want to stay and what you'd like to do during your stay?

When we cruised out of NYC in March we stayed at Radio City Apartments. Its much roomier than most hotels, you can't beat the location near Times Square and Rockefeller Plaza. They come with a kitchen and full bath / seperate bedroom its like having a suite. Its not fancy but it is the most economical way to stay in NYC. There is a grocery store nearby and a good pizza place next door. It was less than $200 nightly, which is a steal in that location. There is also a nice little internet cafe across the street from the Grocery if you need to go online. There were a few things I wasn't crazy about while we stayed there...like the laundry they advertised for the guests was never available as the employees seemed to monopolized it for their personal use or to wash the hotel's laundry, but honestly by NYC standards it is a steal. It is a very cheap cab ride to the port and we hired a town car through the hotel to take us to the airport which worked out fine. You will find most of the "budget hotels" in NYC are crackerboxes where you have to stand on the bed to open a dresser drawer or share your room with a criitter or share a bath etc... So this is much better in my honest opinion. If you want to know more about them or any other NYC hotel check out tripadvisor dot com, I never stay anywhere without checking it out there first.

First thing in the morning we'd walk to Au Bon Pair for a quick breakfast then go over and check out the Today Show and of course make a TV appearance so all our friends could see us. Everything was within a few blocks of the hotel.

We have had really good luck with Priceline. One year we got the New York Hilton for $120 a night. Next time we got the Club Quarters for $100. We always book either a 3 or 4 star in Mid-town, close to the pier.

Archived