Safety on the QM2

fireman999

Just a few questions from an ex architect

1) The fire exit sign - isn't that sign a 'Private - Emergency Exit Only' sign which from memory is not a Fire Exit sign at all and does not require to be a green/white with pictogram ????

2) Are all the exits from Illuminations 'Fire Exits' or just some of them - in which case there wouldn't be signs on every exit ????

3) Missing Exit sign - isn't this a housekeeping problem and has anyone enquired if its been replaced yet ????

4) Smoke detector next to a ceiling fan - surely smoke detectors are there to detect smoke when no one is about and perhaps the ceiling fans are programmed to be off at such times ???? Anyway, aren't smoke detectors spread everywhere ??? So isn't it unlikely that smoke will be prevented from reaching another detector by that ceiling fan ????

5) The wiring isn't this another housekeeping problem which must presumably be picked up by routine inspection ????

6) Do we know the regulation requiring crew to use safety lines ??? Or is this another example of health and safety legislation and those that apply it running out of control ???

Respectfully

Ken

whose sister was on the Rio to New York cruise, had a ball and couldn't believe the fuss over minor itinerary changes !!

Ken, The pictures that I have put on the website are only a few of those that were taken - take the question of Fire Exit Signs - there were scores of discrepencies - not just the one shown. There were a number of other problems such as poor fire stopping and unprotected water mist heads - I did not show these as they may not mean a great deal to people that have not come into contact with this type of problem.

I will answer your questions in the order raised:

Fire Exit Sign - Whilst I have seen many Private Fire Exit Signs before - they are not recognised in the Regulations - what does it mean - does it mean that it is a Fire Exit and everyone can use or does it mean that it can only be used by certain individuals? Herein lies one of the problems with signage on the QM2 - they have not adheared to the Regulations - you are not sure what it means, I'm not sure what it means and one of our other correspondents is not sure what it means.This is not acceptable in a fire situation - remember in a fire you may only have seconds to decide what to do - what would you do if this was the only exit available to you, of course you would use it. Surely the answer would be to put a compliant sign on it (pictogram) and a text notice "Only to be used in Emergencies"

Exits from Illuminations - Whilst I did not do the occupancy calculations for this area it is a likely bet that all of the exits will be needed (see my previous explanation) As an architect you will realise that in an emergency it is very difficult to control which exits people will use and therefore all the exits need to be readily available, easily identified and illuminated. There are signs on these exits but they are poorly positioned and cannot easily be seen beyond the first few rows.

Missing Fire Exit Sign - I would hope that it has been replaced by now - it was not replaced whilst I was on the ship.

Poorly Positioned Smoke Detectors - You have asked a number of questions here and I will deal with your comment about the fans not being on and then detecting a fire when no one is about - this would certainly work, but the problem is how can you be sure that the fans are switched off when no one is about - I certainly observed them working on many occassions when no one was there - this would be a very dangerous route to take. The simple answer is to reposition them - I guess as an architect you can see how this has occured - the fire engineer did his drawings, the air conditioning engineer did his and the consultant failed to spot it - I have seen this happen on many occassions.You are also right that the smoke may eventually be picked up by other detectors, but you cannot afford to take that chance because you need to detect a fire at the earlist oppurtunity in order for the Fire Procedure to be put in place.

The detectors in the cabin are a different kettle of fish because in my cabin there was only one and I don't think that switching off the air conditioning when persons are in the cabin would be very popular.

Electrical Wiring - The waffle making machine was brought out each morning and when I spotted it I informed a member of the crew - when it came out again next morning I took the picture. You have indicated that it should be picked up by routine inspection, and you are right but something as obvious as this should have been noticed straight away and repaired. It really comes down to how well the staff are trained and how serious health and safety is taken.

Safety Harness- The use of a safety harness in this situation will be governed by a Risk Assessment and Method Statement. For this type of situation you would be required to produce a Risk Assessment and it could only be "high risk" in this type of operation - generally any working at height is high risk and in this particular situation the sea was tossing the tender about and the securing line/ was hitting the tender. Once the level of risk has been established a Method Statement would have to be produced and this is the document that would make the use of a safety harness mandatory.

I hope this explains the situation more fully but if I can help further please let me know. I'm pleased your sister enjoyed the cruise. Regards Alan

Cunard, on the other hand, has always (well, in the last 25 years anyway, held their drills the moring following departure from an embarkation port.

Not so. I have sailed in the last few years on Caronia, QE2 and QM2 and every time the drill has been before sailing and soon after boarding, in the case of our QM2 crossing it was around 4pm if my memory serves me correctly.

I am sure there would be no small amount of cofusion if there was a real emergency at any time, but without the drill it would surely be worse. Has anyone ever been given the safety drill on an aircraft after take off?

David.

Cunard, on the other hand, has always (well, in the last 25 years anyway, held their drills the moring following departure from an embarkation port.

This past January, it was done before we departed from Southampton.

Standard Princess drill, right down to the script (but with "Cunard" where "Princess" usually would be).

This past January, it was done before we departed from Southampton.

Standard Princess drill, right down to the script (but with "Cunard" where "Princess" usually would be).

Thanks Doug - you've answered my question before I asked it. Boat Drill on the QE2 once happened on the morning following embarkation; now it occurs before sailing. Q - When did it change?

A - When Cunard became Princess!

Not so. I have sailed in the last few years on Caronia, QE2 and QM2 and every time the drill has been before sailing and soon after boarding, in the case of our QM2 crossing it was around 4pm if my memory serves me correctly.

I

David.

In the past couple of years... and post Princess, yes, prior to departure but certainly before that they were always or mostly done the following morning.

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...

I have now heard from the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) and thought that you may be interested in their reply:

"Your letter was treated in confidence but its concerns were put to Cunard on 15th May. Our surveyors visited the ship on the 17th May, only two days later"

Emergency Exit Signs in Illuminations Theatre - "At our inspection on the 17th May we asked that the Emergency Exit notices in the the theatre be moved to meet the regulations. This has been confirmed as having been actioned"

Damaged Electrical Wiring - "The damaged outer sheath to the waffle maker wiring that you advised us of has been repaired. Portable Appliance Testing is carried out on board QM2 and the ship's staff were informed of the omission of this particular appliance"

I am still in discussion with the MCA about the other problems and they have invited me to accompany them on one of their inspections, which I have agreed to do.

I will keep you informed.

Thank you Alan for your posts and photo's regarding the obvious hazards on this ship. The placement of the smoke detector's and the exits and fire doors not being properly and clearly marked and exit doors being blocked in any manner would be against any commercial building code today in the USA. Codes are designed for public safety and there are simply too many things wrong on this ship to consider her safe until she is repaired in my opinion. I would not sail on her or any other ship until these items were corrected. I do not think fire prevention and safety can be stressed enough whether on land or at sea. Many people in the past have perished in a fire because they could not find or open a blocked exit door and in 2006 Cunard should know better to put their passengers at risk. I thank you for bringing this matter to the attention of the public and your report most likely will save lives. A fire at sea on the second largest ship in the middle of the Atlantic would be a terrible disaster and every precaution should be taken to protect the safety of the passengers.

Archived