Need help for my next cruise

bonbon663

Ok, this may be a little off topic, but as you all know, I loved my first cruise, and would love to go on another. To Alaska again, if at all possible. How in the world do you all afford all the cruises? M6 husband will take a lot of convincing, he's not at all interested in cruising. So, I'll try to save up some cash for a solo trip. How do you all do it?

Hi Bon Bon - glad your first cruise was a good one. We are also first-time cruisers who feel in love with cruising and have booked two more cruises, but its not easy. I think one way to look at it is to compare it to the cost of a land-based vacation. We figured out that by the time we fly someplace, rent a car, stay at moderately-priced hotels, eat, drink, etc. that it costs us over $2,000 a week for a land vacation. That's close to $300 a day. When we took our 10 night Mexican Riveria cruise we figured out that the cost was about $500 a day. However, while on board we had cocktails everynight at the Martini Bar, ate better than we do on land (no lunch at Burger King at sea!), had a massage each, bought pictures, had an elegant breakfast each morning on our balcony, and by doing our excursions through Celebrity never had to worry about ground transportation. And, you only have to unpack and pack once, so it was far more relaxing than a land vacation. So, for $200 a day more than we would be spending anyway we had what we both agreed was the most relaxing vacation of our lives. Meanwhile, we drive an older car (a 1997 - paid for) and tend to do our splurging on vacations rather than lots of dinners out or going to other entertainment events. So, its sort of a question of what's important to you. For us, we love the relaxation of a cruise and are willing to save up for the next one. Hope this helps and that you'll be at sea again soon!

No matter what, put away $20 or more per paycheck.

Put all change in a jar (after three months, you are looking at $100.00 Note, do not sort out change when buying something, always use paper, gets you more change.

Shop for Gty cabins, inside or outside.

if you have to go alone, find a friend to pick up 1/2 the cost.

Drive to your port..may not work for Alaska, but it is a cruise

Hi,

A gty, means a guarantee. You may want an outside cabin, a guaranty means you will get what you ask for but aren't able to select your specific cabin. The price to do that is usually a little less. Guess what, sometimes they don't have the category , and they upgrade you.

We cruise a lot, drive to the port and go more often that way since there isn't airfare involved.Also some cruises are less expensive, depends are where you are going. Seems like Alaska cruises are much more expenive per day than Mexico or Carribean.

Regards,

San Diego sue

35 years in the trenches, married a teacher who ended up with a good pension. Paid off the mortgage as early as we could, got our daughter through university.

After all that we took our first cruise this year. We figure we have enough left over to do it again a few times, God willing.

Ok, this may be a little off topic, but as you all know, I loved my first cruise, and would love to go on another. To Alaska again, if at all possible. How in the world do you all afford all the cruises?

We book insides and look for the cheapest cruises. For example Century 13 days, Oct 27 including flight is $1400 pp., $2800 for the cabin.

Constellation next September is a bit more. You must decide whether you prefer to go more often inside, or less frequently in more expensive cabins. You could also remarry with someone who has similar obssessions.:rolleyes: Nothing beats marrying well ($$) or picking rich parents. I do mine on a pension and a few good stock picks.

Repositioning cruises offer good value, and you seem to save more if you (a) book early, especially when you are already on a cruise and can get "bonus on-board credit" or (b) book fairly late...after the 60 day pre-cruise mark, when some people release their reservations.

We booked a 10 day Caribbean cruise last November from New York to San Juan on the Constellation for $1330 CDN per person for a Concierge Class balcony stateroom.

We booked this at the end of September and my husband was turning 55 two days before the cruise, so we were both able to get the Seniors Discount. We flew using Aeroplan points, which is helpful when you need an "open jaw" flight.

It was our first cruise in 10 years, and we had an absolutely wonderful time...not even one complaint! (Our first cruise in 1996 was on the original Crown Princess, and it wasn't a really good fit for us, so we didn't cruise again for years. Celebrity is a perfect fit for us on so many levels.)

I booked directly with the Cruise Planners at Celebrity and they couldn't have been more helpful. I did a lot of research, on these boards and on other sites, which led to our choice of Celebrity as our cruise line.

We have two more cruises booked with Celebrity for the upcoming year, and can hardly wait!

Good luck with your planning for your next cruise...it's half the fun!

Ok, this may be a little off topic, but as you all know, I loved my first cruise, and would love to go on another. To Alaska again, if at all possible. How in the world do you all afford all the cruises? M6 husband will take a lot of convincing, he's not at all interested in cruising. So, I'll try to save up some cash for a solo trip. How do you all do it?

Good question! We are both retired and with lots of stuff paid off, we put as much as we can every month into a savings or "trip" account. Any extra money that comes our way is put in there. For example, when we could no longer pay into RRSP's, we started the account and put the monthly deductions into it, as well as anything we get back from taxes etc. It is amazing how the account builds up. That being said, we have not yet booked more than one cruise a year, yet...:)

We also found that we liked an inside cabin just fine, until we tried an ocean view cabin (I like to get up early, and sit on the cafe's back deck in the sun, but I sleep later in the dark inside cabin.) We have not taken a balcony cabin, as I like the public decks and am also not yet willing to fork up the extra dollars for a balcony.

Also, from these boards, I have read that Canadians can save by having their TA book the trip in American money, rather than Canadian, because Celebrity charges more for the exchange than credit cards or banks. That is what I plan to do for our next cruise.

Hi Bon Bon,

This is what I do.

1) Find a couple of online agency sites that I can monitor for Cruises and Prices. I check daily just to keep in touch.

2) Keep an eye on the sales. Both Airlines and Cruise Lines.

3) Keep an open mind and consider all the cruise lines.

4) Consider the Caribbean. It is almost always less expensive than other destinations.

5) Book the smallest Cabin you can stand.

6) Save, Save, Save Skrimp and Save.

7) And my least favorite.... Accept the fact that my finances do not allow me to live on a cruise ship:(

In the meantime you have to find someone to share cruise expenses with. Maybe you can find a way to convince DH to give it a try. Could you start with a short cruise that will give him a taste? Maybe there is a destination he has always wanted to go to. How about waiting for him to come inside from the 50th time he has shoveled snow then suggest a nice warm Caribbean cruise?:D

Happy Travels

Cindy

Once you have retired (as we are), spend your children's inheritance:D . You earned it, you spend it! Very simple. And if you plan it just right, you come out even - or you leave your children a very large funeral bill - either way works for us.

Hi Bonbon :)

Glad to hear you enjoyed your first cruise and hope you will have opportunities to take many others in the near future :)

When my husband and I were starting out in life, a significant portion of our income was used for mortgage payments, as well as saving for big ticket items such as our daughter's college education and wedding. Since our 28 year old daughter graduated from college in 1999 and got married in 2004, those major expenses are now behind us. We also paid off our mortgage a while back, which gives us more disposable income.

However, there was something else we did in our younger days so we could take nice vacations. We never owned the most expensive house we could afford, so we would have more money for "living". I realize, however, that how people decide to allocate their financial resources is a very personal decision.

Archived