Just back from Diamond 6/26 to 7/3

minner80

We had a fabulous cruise. A first for a mini-suite, and I don't think I could ever go back. The balcony and bathtub were wonderful. We made it to every port and had good weather. (With the exception of a earthquake on Sunday morning around 2:00am!) I thought the food was wonderful. This was our 6th cruise, but first to Alaska and first on Princess. We will definately cruise with them again.

Juneau- We did a glacier landing and evening whale watch

Skagway- Train and Kayak

Ketchikan- Floatplane

Victoria-Deluxe Whale Watch

If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to answer them.

We are also considering the Diamond for Alaska next summer. Would you recommend all the excursions you took? Did you just do the cruise and not the land tour? There are so many choices for Alaska ~ it's hard to decide. Also need to decide on June or July or August. It can be cold on the early tours, but I heard that the summer can have lots of bugs.

If you kept the Diamond patters, can you check to see when the children orientation/registration is that first night?

If you have kids in the program, what was their reactions to the program? Did you see the kiddie wading pool? Can kids wearing swimming diapers go in there?

Thanks.

Jennifer

There were no bugs. The weather was 60 and cloudly most of the week. A little chilly while on our balcony, but toleralble. We were late to Juneau, but if you had shore excursions booked through Princess, they ajusted the times. We had a helicopter tour set for 11:00 and it was moved to 1:00. We got to Juneau about 1 hour late. We enjoyed all the tours we took. I do not know if we would book the evening whale watch in Junuea again. We saw the same 2 whales the whole time, no other wild life. We did not travel with children, so I am not much help on the children programs. I can tell you I did not see many children on this cruise.

I am going on the July 23rd cruise to Alaska on this ship. What was the temperature like on the ship, in the dining rooms, etc? Also, did you happend to see the wedding chapel? I am getting married on this cruise. It looks nice from the pics. :)

danville dan

i am going on diamond july 17th.i am glad ypu had wonderfull time.i am curious,did it make all the ports on time?....thanks

We are going on the same cruise. Also, you don't live to far from me, I am from Orland Park, IL. Any chance your might be bringing some kids, near the age of 15?

Edit: Sorry Dan, just read a few posts down and see you are going with your wife. Have a good time and maybe will see you there.

Minner80 - I'm glad you had an excellent cruise!

Do you mind posting the bio of the captain please - it would be a great help! :D

Thankyou

Andrew.

We are going on the Diamond August 28th.... can't wait. Thanks for your advice on the evening whale watch, that helps us decide on what not to do. We were thinking of the Mendenhall Glacier helicopter flight and the whale watching. Did you book these through Princess? Also which floatplane excursion did you do? Was it worth it?

Thanks for the reply.

Didn't see your post on the Roll Call board. I'm glad to find another poster who is going on the 8/28 Diamond cruise.

I'm going with my families (parents, sister's family), including 4 small children.

Jennifer

We did the Mendenhall Glacier Helicopter Tour and Misty Fjords SeaPlane Exploration. They were Princess excursions. We enjoyed both of them very much. If I could choose just one, my husband and I agree the SeaPlane was the best!!!

Sailed the Diamond on June 19 and we loved it, as well. We also got into Juneau late, but had booked our excursion through Princess, so that was not a problem. Beautiful boat! Our first time on Princess, but definitely not our last!

We were on the same cruise and had a great time. The ship and crew were outstanding. Food good not great. Ports fantastic. Unfortunately the forest fires in the interior of Alaska really affected visability in Skagway. We drove into Yukon as far as Emerald lake hoping to see wildlife but only saw one duck.

We asked the Car Rental employee at Avis and she indicated other individuals said the same thing. Very unusual and people in town were blaming the fires and smoke in the air.

The earthquake at sea was unbelievable. Being from California I have experienced Northridge, Landers and Sylmar all 6.5 and higher. This felt the same. I thought the ship was being ripped apart. Things falling in the cabin.

But I thought the engine was having problems. I had no idea this was a quake. Probably just as well as I would have been worried about Tsunamis all night.

Archived