Customary seating order at dinner?

gooselace

the2ofus - thanks so much for the info. I will ask my audiologist about the conversation setting - I have never been offered that one. I have a general, music and telephone, which is a must for me and even then I often can't make out what people are saying even with two amplifiers on the phone. My hearing aids are Oticon as well. I have been wearing aids for about 20 years and am so grateful for the digital which approaches natural hearing much more than the old analog type.

Re; the new terrorist plans - I am so glad that we are not flying for our next two cruises. such unbelievable evil to plan the deaths of so many innocent people.

thanks again for your helpful info.

J

My DH and I enjoy the company of other people at the dinner table on our cruises, but we really couldn't bear not to sit next to each other. We usually go on longer cruises and it would really spoil things for us if we had to sit separately. We don't like social events that split couples either. It's not that we don't like talking to others, because we do, but we like to be close by to each other. My husband does have a slight hearing problem in one ear too, so he likes me to be able to help out if he doesn't hear. Sometimes the dining room noise makes it awkward for him.

We prefer a table for six so we can talk to everyone. That's easy to do, if the table is round. For six people at a rectangular table, we've found that it works well to mix things up, and change places so one couple will be sitting across from each other sometimes. On our family cruise there were nine of us and we pretty much sat in the same place every evening - also helped the waiters remembered who ordered tea and who always ordered lime sherbet for desert!

I sailed with a friend on QM2, dined in the Queens Grill, and because she

has a hearing problem, we sat at a table for 2 by the window for our meals.

It helped her a lot, but after 3 days, she wanted to move because we were

boring each other! Large tables can be fun, and the best part is that there

is always someone you'll really enjoy talking to, to cancel out the occasional

lemon.

It helped her a lot, but after 3 days, she wanted to move because we were boring each other! Large tables can be fun, and the best part is that there is always someone you'll really enjoy talking to, to cancel out the occasional lemon.

Exactly! John & I were just discussing this last night. If we had a table for 2 for the entire cruise we'd bore each other to tears (or worse!) Also, what's the incentive to get all dolled-up to go to dinner with just him? I really like the social aspect of the dining room. I have dinner with him every night at home & don't even have to change out of my T-shirt & shorts. If I'm gonna make an effort to be presentable, I want to "see & be seen"!

On our cruise on the Prinsendam a few years ago we had requested a table for 6. Upon boarding when we saw where we had been seated, just inside the first dining room and very close to the Ocean Lounge, we immediately saw the Maitre'D and asked to be changed.

We were able to be moved to the bigger dining room which is where we wanted to be seated and he asked what size table we would like. My DH liked the idea of being on a table for 2 so we decided on that.

Never again!! It is so much nicer (in my opinion) to be seated with fellow travellers as you can learn so much from them, have great chats about the various excursions you go on each day and just have fun.

We were always served first and out of the dining room long before anyone else and I used to look around in envy at the tables close to us with everyone chatting and having fun.

From that cruise on, we have always been seated at a table for 6 or 8 and for us dinner is one of the highlights of the day.

Jennie

Last cruise the three of us had a table of eight alone. We were sad, looking forward to tablemates. On HAL last year we were at a table of eight, 4 couples. Loved it, we sort of moved around. Two couples would switch in four seats, and the other two couples in the other four seats. Although we always sat next to the dreaded couple that no one wanted to sit next to because they complained about everything. We always waited for them to leave and then spoke to our waiter and maitre d about how happy we were. ;) I can't wait to see what we come across in October!

the2ofus and juanita462 I tend to leave hearing aid behind, would have for it to get lost or damaged on ship. My audiologist has always told me that humidity is bad for it. I also have that second setting to kill background noise and third for phone. I just concentrate alot in social settings and focus on reading lips on the ship....people probably also think I am a little flaky also.......

CCCM - you can buy an inexpensive kit for keeping your hearing aids dry. It is small and light like a small jar with a lid - you take out the batteries and pop the aids in and close lid - there are crystals in the bottom that suck out the moisture. At home, when the crystals turn pink I put them in the toaster oven for about 5 - 10 minutes and they recharge. This gadget prolongs the life of hearing aids.

I must admit that I think carefully before leaning over the railing aboard ship - once I had an aid come apart and fall on the floor. Just think of that $2000 piece of equipment heading for the ocean!

Archived