Conch Shells

kcparrotheads

In the Turks and Caicos islands conch is a very popular food. They actually have the only conch farm in the world on Providenciales. On all of the islands it is not unusual to come acrosss a huge (and I mean huge) pile of conch shells....they are actually just garbage. Tourists like to take them home as the islanders really don't use them after the conch is taken out. Keep in mind though you really are not allowed to bring any thing like that back to the US or Canada so if you are caught with them you could be fined. Kind of a drag really.

My husband dived in Guantanamo Bay the whole time he was there and there is one thing we know for sure. Conch stinks really bad!!! I don't think you could tolerate the smell in your cabin or carrying them home. After the conch is removed you must soak them in a bleach solution for like a week to kill the smell and the germs. Remember this was a living thing in there ...and even if you leave a small piece behind after bleaching the smell can come back. But if you can clean and sanitize them they are beauiful. I am also sure the ones thrown are all cracked the new found ones taken from the ocean have beatiful scalloped edges and are very delicate. The discarded ones must be all broken off. Some people sell them on Ebay. Not too expensive. I have a large collection and gave them away to everyone at work. It was one of the perks of his deployment there. If you really want one that bad let me know. I will see what I can do. They make beautiful nightlights if you buy one of those clip in lights they sell for Xmas houses or jack o lanterns.:)

There were some kids selling conch shells next to the pier where the ultimate snorkeling excursion left from for $3. Seemed like they were in good shape, with the conch removed. As far as I know, you can bring the shell into the US, don't think you can bring the animal itself in. (Our customs procedure was kinda screwy, so it didn't become an issue for us).

I have a few conch shells already. I had just read some reviews that people had picked up some large ones to take home and that you were allowed two. They said some were really large. I'm assuming they must've been there awhile since no one has complained about the smell.

• 3 weeks later...
I have a few conch shells already. I had just read some reviews that people had picked up some large ones to take home and that you were allowed two. They said some were really large. I'm assuming they must've been there awhile since no one has complained about the smell.

they had said that previously in a post regarding the beach at the lighthouse. I walked down and there were no shells of any kind. I asked at the lighthouse shop and they said there used to be tons, but a few months of cruise ships cleaned them out!

My son dove for shells in Anguilla with a native teen who took the shells home to his family, ate them, bleached them and gave them back to us...they are beautiful! No problems bringing in because no live animal left...no smell either!

they had said that previously in a post regarding the beach at the lighthouse. I walked down and there were no shells of any kind. I asked at the lighthouse shop and they said there used to be tons, but a few months of cruise ships cleaned them out!

My son dove for shells in Anguilla with a native teen who took the shells home to his family, ate them, bleached them and gave them back to us...they are beautiful! No problems bringing in because no live animal left...no smell either!

As Piper28 (my DH) said earlier in this thread, as we left the snorkling trip, there were a couple of young boys right at the end of the pier, with a pile of shells to sell. DH said that he saw the snorkling divers get the shells during the trip, and thought they gave them to the boys. If you are looking at the pier center from the main pier that you dock at, there's a small pier to the right. That's where the boys were. They weren't there at the beginning of the day, but were when we came back - they must know the timing of the snorkle trips. Try the spot right around lunchtime, I think.

I was planning on bringing back a few conch shells myself and never thought it would be restricted until i saw this thread. My FIL is a retired customs agent so I asked him and called port canaveral customs office. As long as the country you acquire the shells from has no restrictions for exporting them, US citizens can bring them back to the US for personal use only. Animal byproducts also cannot come from anything on an endangered list (ie ivory, furs). He said 2-3 would be considered personal use. They must be completely cleaned out. In general, if there is any trace of the animal left (skin, fur, etc) that is where you will have problems. He said seashells used to be more strictly governed than they are now which is why some people still think they can't be brought in.

Customs phone number if you have anymore questions 1 877 227 5511

The website has a very informative, pdf file of a Know before you go pamphlet. It gives all the allowances, rules, exemptions, etc. http://www.cbp.gov

hope this helps!

My daughter and I were on Grand Turk in May on Elation and had heard about the conch shells also. We always collect shells from the different islands, those are the best souvenirs and memories of the beautiful places we have been. Someone on these boards had written about a "conch shell graveyard" that he had found so we set out looking for that and we found it. From the long pier and facing the land, if you go to the right and walk along the shore, you will find it...maybe about a quarter of a mile. Not sure, we were barefoot and it really seemed longer! There were many, many shells there and the conch was already out of them so maybe the restaurants dump them there. You did have to search through, a lot were broken but we ended up with 3 each...couldn't carry more than that, they get heavy! We rinsed them out well and really had no problem with a smell. My luggage was opened this trip for the first time by customs but my shells came home intact. They are so beautiful and I am happy to have them to remind me of a gorgeous island. I did soak them in a bleach solution after I got home along with others I had found. Many people were at the spot collecting them and I guess the children have found a way to make a little extra money by selling them. Happy hunting and happy sails.

I'm hoping dh and I can both bring 3 back. My parents gave us one long ago when they went to the bahamas. They actually were with the guide when he dove down, brought up the conch, knocked the creature out, then once on land cooked it for them to try. How cool that would be! I'm wondering if we should hunt for our own on the beach or just pay $3 per shell to the kids selling them. They could probably use the money and it would save us time. Either way I can't wait till we get there!

• 10 months later...

just back--you can walk to the conch shell graveyard. just go south from the pier around the bend for about 15 minutes. Its the south tip of the island, they are dumped there. they are huge and mine does not smell at all. the beach is gorgeous there as well and the water is clear.

Archived