Mexican Riviers Shore Excursion Recommendations

Avery

We are sailing on the Celebrity Mercury, January 8, 2007. We are visiting Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Acapulco, Ixtapa (Zihuatanejo), Manzanillo, and Puerto Vallarta.

Any recommendations regarding shore excursions is appreciated.

Thanks Rick, but what a "Zipline?"

There are three established canopy tour outfits in the Vallatra area.

These are: Vallarta Adventures- http://www.vallarta-adventures.com/c...our/index.html

Los Veranos- http://www.canopytours-vallarta.com/

El Eden- http://www.canopyeleden.com.mx/

Johann & Sandra report a new company has just started operations withing the last few months. I don't know much about them.

The "original" style canopy tour was designed as an echo tour of the forest canopy. Lines went from tree top-to-tree top. Platforms are built around the tree trunks. Participants go from platform to platform and typically decend from the last platform with a rappel to the forest floor.

The other "canopy" tours in the Vallarta area have the majority of their lines span a river valley with participants starting and ending most lines at a ground station. The lines are longer and higher due to the 'V' shape of the valley. More thrill ride than echo tour.

Vallarta Adventures is the company that contracts with the cruise ship industry, the others are independents.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, my wife and I don't do well when we're more than 5 feet of the ground. So a canopy tour, while I'm sure is beautiful, just isn't in the cards.

Are there any other tours (lower to ground) you would recommend?

While in Puerto Vallarta, I took part in a horseback ride put on by the folks at Rancho Capomo; prodigyweb.net.mx/gltours/body/tours/incapo.htm. You'll, of course, have to add the www. in front of the address as shown.

They take you on about a half hour, or so, horseback ride through the hills & along a stream bed that you'll cross a couple times. After tying up your horses, one of the guides leads you across some wooden bridges to a waterfall & pool. You spend roughly an hour there, splashing in the water, before the guides lead you back to the rancho where you get a very delicious lunch.

We've done the Mexican Riviera twice, most recently this past April.

Our first time in Mazatlan, we did the colonial villages tour off the ship and enjoyed it very much. A short stop in the shopping district was included, which made this an all-day excursion. This time we did horseback riding with Randi's Happy Horses and had a great time. The trip with Randi gets you back to the ship around 1:30, so you have some time for shopping if you wish.

Our first time in PV, we did the Las Caletas tour off the ship. We really enjoyed that. Nice ride to the estate, had fun snorkeling and kayaking, had a wonderful buffet lunch and took a couple of short walks around the estate. This past visit to PV, I did the Cooking Lesson and City Tour off the ship and my husband did the Jeep and beach safari. The cooking lesson was at a nice restaurant, and we had a small group, so it was a lot of fun. Our driver gave us a nice tour of the city, with time to wander a bit and see the cathedral.

Our first time to Cabo, we snorkeled from a zodiac. There had been a storm right before we arrived, so the water was very churned up and visibility was poor. Our pilot tried very hard to get us to a good snorkeling spot, but was unable to do that. It was still fun motoring around the coastline, going past Los Arcos and the beaches. This trip we took the Coastal Highlights tour off the ship. Included was a stop at a restaurant overlooking the coastline and the ships at tender. We also stopped in San Jose del Cabo and visited the cathedral, and had some time to get lunch and shop a bit. This was a very pretty little town. We then stopped at the Cacti Mundo, which showcases catci from all over. It was pretty and very interesting. Last stop was a glass-blowing factory, where the owner demonstrated mouth-blown glass techniques, making a vase and a pitcher. There was a bit of time to shop the factory. On the way back to the ship, the driver stopped in Cabo to allow anyone who wanted to to shop or have lunch and find their own way back to the ship. We opted to stay in town, had lunch and shopped awhile. It was not a long walk back to the ship.

In Zihua/Ixtapa, we opted to snorkel. Upon exiting the tender, we got into a fishing boat, which took us across the bay to a nice beach from which we could snorkel.

In Acapulco, we walked into town in the morning and in the afternoon took the Shotover Jet boat ride. That was great.

We were in Cabo last January and took a Coastal Cruise. We had whales breaching practically beside the boat. It was one of the most exciting days on the cruise. And while the margaritas (open bar) were alittle on the weak side, they were tasty. The crew was the best we've ever had on shore excursion.

While in Puerto Vallarta, I took part in a horseback ride put on by the folks at Rancho Capomo; prodigyweb.net.mx/gltours/body/tours/incapo.htm. You'll, of course, have to add the www. in front of the address as shown.

They take you on about a half hour, or so, horseback ride through the hills & along a stream bed that you'll cross a couple times. After tying up your horses, one of the guides leads you across some wooden bridges to a waterfall & pool. You spend roughly an hour there, splashing in the water, before the guides lead you back to the rancho where you get a very delicious lunch.

Would you please e-mail me ? I have more questions. It looks like you had a wonderful time and I would like to do the same in March! My email is papillon@pwless.net

Thanks,

Pap

We did this Celebrity Mercury cruise in Feb. 2005----we had a blast!!!

In Manzanillo, we went on an excursion that we really enjoyed. It was the Colima City and Comala Village Tour. It was long--seven hours but very enjoyable. In Colima we visited the Governor's Building and then walked over to an archaelogical museum which was very interesting. We saw the cathedral and had a little time for shopping. From there we drove a little further and visited the Pyramids of La Campana. They are small pyramids and you are allowed to climb to the top of one of them. In the distance, looms two volcanoes. One is dormant but the second, Volcan de Colima, is very active! We were so fortunate on the day we visited because the slight overcast cleared and we had a perfect view of the volcanoes. Viewing the pyramids and volcanoes was a highlight for me!

From there, we were taken to Comala a small village with a pretty Plaza. There are some very interesting statues along the way. We were fed a botanas (snack) at a nice local restaurant but it was plenty for a meal! We had time to visit the church, plaza and the local shops before the bus ride back to the ship.

We also did the Whale Watch at Cabo San Lucas on the large catamaran, Cabo Rey. We had a great time with that excursion, too. Definitely another highlight!

Enjoy your cruise, no matter what excursions you choose!

Kathy

Would you please e-mail me ? I have more questions. It looks like you had a wonderful time and I would like to do the same in March! My email is papillon@pwless.net

Thanks,

Pap

I tried e-mailing you but it was returned as undeliverable.

If you'd like a sample here are some of the pix I took on the excursion:

You might trying to e-mail me then when I reply perhaps it will go through. My address is treven95814@comcast.net

Keep up the great suggestions! We're planning the same itinerary in April '08, so I have lots of time to dream about these locations. We've never been to the MR, so we're looking forward to it.

So far, Randi's looks great in Mazatlan, snorkeling in Cabo & PV is up in the air.

I'm especially interested in which snorkeling excursion in Cabo - we may do that one through the ship since we tender and our time is limited. We don't dock until 10:30. Also, the Las Caletas off the ship looks very interesting. We like a beach day, with lunch and the ability to snorkel and just "wander".:)

Also keep in mind that alot of new tours will be offered for your ports in the next month or so before high season starts. Keep checking your cruiseline shore excursion web page to see what is listed. That is where the latest and greatest will be posted.

• 1 year later...

Hi Ginny, We absolutely loved going out on the YAEL Sail/Snorkel tour in Cabo. It is a small intimate day trip and the Captain makes you feel like you are royalty. He takes you to several wonderful snorkeling spots and the price is right! The trip is 3 hours and is only $57.00. We ended up chartering the whole boat for 7 of us and it cost $400.00. He even let us extend the trip to 5 hours for a little extra. Well worth the time. email me with any questions. tothemax@gorge.net Enjoy! Maxine

Hi Ginny, We absolutely loved going out on the YAEL Sail/Snorkel tour in Cabo. It is a small intimate day trip and the Captain makes you feel like you are royalty. He takes you to several wonderful snorkeling spots and the price is right! The trip is 3 hours and is only $57.00. We ended up chartering the whole boat for 7 of us and it cost $400.00. He even let us extend the trip to 5 hours for a little extra. Well worth the time. email me with any questions. tothemax@gorge.net Enjoy! Maxine

How was the snorkeling in Cabo? Reading these boards, apparently the Pacific isnt that great for snorkeling? Do you have a site you booked off of or was this arranged through the cruiseline? Our dk's are 14 and 11, so would that be OK for them to do? They've never been and a bit nervous about the ocean and being amongst sharks and stingrays, even though I assured them there likely won't be any of those, just lots of fish! Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
If you want something exciting other than the zip lines for PV, try the dune buggy adventure! We did that this past March and had just a blast. Just be prepared to come back VERY DIRTY!

I was wondering if you did this with a private company or with the boat? Also is there an age limit on these? Sounds like a lot of fun.

Archived