Hoonah, Alaska's Icy Strait Point - A taste of the REAL Alaaqsaq (Alaska)

Hoonah_Tlingit_Boy

Sharon,

My opinion on this thread is now moot. I have discovered on other boards that the Alaska port cities are trying to legislate anywhere from a 50.00 to a 100.00 dollar head tax on cruise passengers. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know where we are not wanted. I have never forced my presense on any group that did not want me. Therefore, a cruise to Alaska is out of the question now. When Alaska again finds tourists acceptable, I will reconsider going.

Dear Everyone, We don;t need all of this negativity. We are all here to make our cruises the best they can be and to help each other out with information to make them even better than we ever thought they could be. So, lets get into "positive" mode and look forward to whatever cruises we have planned. Happy Cruising Everyone!!!!

That's that!!!!

Now let's get back to the question at hand...Koo Hook, we miss you! We're looking forward to hearing from you again! I know we are looking forward to Alaska and in particualar Icy Strait Point/Hoonah - and meeting Koo Hook!

Sharon in Charlotte!

HELLO FRIENDS!!! Wasaa Iyatee? I most certainly extend my apologies for being absent from Critic Square for so long. I’ve been a little busy lately, and have been flying to and from Hoonah quite often in the past few weeks. I was there for nearly two weeks, returned to Juneau, then again returned this past week. I’ve been over here in Juneau for just over one month preparing for the exciting and all-winter-long anticipated 2005 on slot of guests at Icy Strait Point in Hoonah.

My trip home was a great one. My sole purpose for heading to Hoonah was for business purposes, but I also got to enjoy the Icy Strait Tournament, with teams participating from Hoonah, Kake, Mt. Edgecumbe, Qipnuq, and Vanier – the two latter teams coming from Northwest Alaska near Bristol Bay and Yukon Territories in Canada. Both Hoonah teams went undefeated and now have great records, the boys’ team with a 13-2 record and the girls with an 11-4 record. This past weekend were the final home games for both teams, and I was sent back to Hoonah to be the public announcer and to help raise money for the teams as they near the end of their season. It was quite the experience let me tell you. My dad informed me that the school asked if I would be able to perform traditional Tlingit song and dance with the Mt. Fairweather dance group as their lead drummer (Hoonah Tlingit dance group named for the tallest peak in Glacier Bay, Hoonah’s ancestral homeland). Well, with such short notice, I was unsure and I knew that I wouldn’t be able to get a hold of everybody in time. So I concocted a great plan in turning to the Xunaa Kaawu Yatx’i (children of the people of Hoonah). I called the kids, and anyone my age (27) and younger asking if they would join me in performing traditional Tlingit song and dance at the halftime of the boy’s game to raise money for the teams (there’s a song we sing that celebrates our father’s heritage and encourages support). After nearly 2 hours of making phone calls, at the halftime of the final game of the year, I was growing more and more excited as I saw the number of kids in Tlingit regalia growing near the locker room entrance. All of my volleyball players were wearing the Tlingit shirts we bought during a trip to Klawock, and were smiling and waving, excited to perform again after the volleyball season ended. After the half was over, I ran towards the entrance of the locker rooms, separated the girls and boys, and began our entrance. The crowd stood up and the drums were LOUDER THAN EVER! Nearly 60-70 children from different backgrounds joined me for this performance, and it truly made a statement to the adults and elders that there is future for our heritage, our culture, and that unity amongst all of us only makes us stronger. People were clapping in the stands and dancing out onto the floor with us…it was another milestone in my life, and still yet, I’m shocked at how many young people responded. Promise is held in that example of pride and unity, and it can only grow stronger from here.

Sharon – I’m glad to hear “Yak’ei”. As the snow continues to come and go, and the rains grow harder, there’s hope in the lengthening daylight that spring and summer are fast returning after a long, aurora-borealis painted winter. May will be here before you know it, and your adventure out on the Yeil T’ooch (Black raven – Pacific Ocean) will begin. Now as to what I would recommend while you are here…there are so many things you could do to get the true feel of this area. My first recommendation would be to make sure you are on the first tender to depart the ship. This will give more time here, giving you more freedom to do as you wish. Next, just take the time to absorb a little bit of what it is you are seeing. Go down to the soft pebble beach and put your hands in the water…it will really give you a sense of the power of this place, really. Listen to the sounds around you and just let yourself know where you are again…after that, ALL OPTIONS OPEN! The Forest Tram despite maybe sounding lame is consistently sold out and takes guests on a remarkable trip through the temperate rainforest that blankets this land, and along the shoreline of Icy Strait to an eagle’s nest. This provides AMPLE opportunities to see wildlife. There were always reports of bears, whales, eagles, sea lions…the list goes on and on. The bears are defiantly more consistent from June to September, but that doesn’t go to say they aren’t EVERYWHERE. This portion of Chichagof Island has the LARGEST concentration of brown bears in the world, at 1.6 per square mile. They literally surround us and require us to modify our lifestyles, which is just fine. So chances to see these omnivorous giants are great. The culture of my people will be surrounding you constantly, so you will always have opportunities to ask questions. There are an abundance of great trails at Icy Strait Point, and there is a 1.5-mile road to Hoonah, which is a great opportunity to meander the coast and see just where it is that all of us live. You’ll find Hoonah to be drastically different than all the other ports, and it’s as authentic as a traditional community gets. People still hang their fish to dry for the winter, and seaweed is draped on people’s rooftops to dry for the winter. Sharon, I can’t necessarily give you a direct recommendation, but I hope by the things I’ve said, you’ll realize the possibilities are endless. You’ll enjoy whatever it is that you choose to do, I promise. Lastly, I’d like to say AAT TLEIN GUNALCHEESH (Thank you very much) for saying such kind things, protecting my personality here on cruise critic, and understanding exactly what my words intend to convey. The respect you’ve given me is always reciprocated, and I’d like you to know that. By the way, “Haa Aani Aya” means “This is our land”…these were words my grandfather told me while I worked in Glacier Bay, and told me to utter them to express my love and tie to the land, and I’ve heeded those words since.

Cruisin’ Gomer – I can most certainly understand you inability to get some Z’s, as I have my frequent battles with the sheep as well. I’ll be sure to give your e-mail to Kathy when I see her. I already told her son that there was someone interested in a pair of her moccasins. I really don’t mind spending a little of my time to help, it all comes back in good ways. The weather here has been showing signs of transitioning to spring, so that’s been a good thing. I’m certain the temperatures in North Carolina are far warmer than here, but I’ll be sure to soak up my fair share in Miami next month. I am VERY proud of the basketball teams as Hoonah has been longing for good programs since the late 90’s, and they are definitely returning to that tradition. GO BRAVES!

Snoofer – Well, September sounds further off than it really is! That’s another thing I’ve noticed as I grow older, TIME FLIES! I’d be honored to meet you upon your arrival to the shores of Gaax’ayi (Duck Point – traditional Tlingit name for Icy Strait Point). Just be sure to ask any ISP employee walking around in red Columbia jackets/khaki button-ups and black carharts where to find me, and they’ll be sure we get to meet. I promise we’ll get the opportunity!

Marilyn – Thanks for your concern as to my whereabouts…but I am back, and I’ll try my darndest not to be absent for such long periods…I’ll never truly be gone!!

JohnQ – Hi friend!! Long time no hear! It’s great to see you’ve resurfaced on the thread. I’d also like to say “AAT TLEIN GUNALCHEESH” to you as well for saying such kind things, understanding the importance of my people to me, and showing such great respect for my efforts. Again, your respect is always reciprocated. Hopefully, we’ll be able to meet again someday, maybe in your part of the world, or again in Hoonah. GUNALCHEESH!

Dogladyjw – If I’m not correct, I believe you posted a comment nearly a year ago along the same line, and I thought I gave you a sufficient response in saying that although I respect your opinion, I still believed in getting the true feel of any area I may visit by seeking the people of that area as interpreters. I’m offended and frankly was saddened by the things you have said about me and my people. I will not reciprocate the offensive remarks as I was taught to respect my elders, all people, and all living things. I REFUSE to apologize for having pride in my heritage and culture, for it took me a long time to learn to appreciate who it is that I am. I think my ancestors and grandparents are smiling down on me, and I receive constant gratification in the appreciation from my parents, family and the children and people of Hoonah. I will not give an apology as to my introduction for that is the way we were taught to introduce ourselves by our elders. In that introduction is everything that is me, and my identity as a Tlingit. A direct attack on that is a direct attack on my mother and her people, and my father and his. I do however apologize for your misinterpretation of my words from what their original intentions were, and I apologize that maybe you think there are “Ugly Americans” in this country. If I’m not correct, from reading other posts, you’ve been to Alaska before, and I’m sure you got to see the Alaska you were seeking in Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan. I’m happy you got to experience whatever it is you wished to see. If you fear aboriginal cultures and their interpretations of their lands, chances are there might be a few places throughout the world that you may not find interesting or what you’re looking for. We all seek different experiences, and that’s okay. Please, refrain from posting a response to this post for the happiness and sake of the people who enjoy sharing and asking questions. I will not be responding to any posts under this thread that display your screen name. With all due respect – Koo Hook.

I certainly hope everyone has been healthy and happy, and again I apologize for being absent for so long. IT WON’T happen again!! As I was at Icy Strait Point this past week, I looked out on the waters and beach blanketed with water fowl, I remembered what they looked like in the sun with our guests out there experiencing it all, and it brought great happiness to my sister and I, as we stood outside the fish house excursion lounge sharing stories. For all those who visited Icy Strait Point last year, thank you for the great memories. For all those looking towards their visit this year, we excitedly await your arrival to our shores, and are honored that you have chosen to visit the shores of our ancestors, and are sure you will have an experience unlike any other.

AAT TLEIN GUNALCHEESH!!!!!

Koo Hook

Koo Hook,

I know you answered this before but I can't find it.

I am in a wheelchair. We have pre-booked the cannery tour and the dancers/tribal history tours. Do these sound feasible? Is there something else we should do instead? Are there any places to get a bite to eat so we don't have to go back to the ship for lunch?

We are so looking forward to seeing Alaska, both sides (commercial and natural), we are from Florida, so everything will be different!!!!

Thanks,

Sherry

Wow, that is quite a response. I have been reading Koo Hooks posts from the beginning and decided to take the Summit cruise last Sep in order to experience this unique port. It is not one that everyone will like and that is ok. But it is the only small port the major ships go into. I have met Koo Hook and talked to him and enjoyed his whalewatching tour, his dancing and singing. He is proud of his home and hertiage and I respect that. He may come off a little strong once in a while but not overbearing. He has been helpful to strangers and has had mostly positive responses from this site. If you are unsure, there are many ways to avoid Hoonah, if that is your choice. That will leave more room for those who want to see what he is so proud of. Sorry it hit you wrong.
I can't agree more. I, too, met Koo Hook, and his father, in Hoonah, and spent quite a bit of time with him during the lulls in the action during our whale-watching tour.

If you're just looking for a reason not to go to Alaska, Koo Hook isn't it.

And, as for the attempt to legislate a tax on cruise ship passengers, we down in the Lone Star state have a saying that applies, "Don't holler before you're bitten." There are people and groups in every state in the U.S. that are trying to pass laws about things that they think are absolutely vital to their very existence, yet the majority thinks is ridiculous. As long as our education system produces citizens who can think for themselves, our governmental system will continue, in the main, to avoid putting the "wants" of the shrill few above the "needs" of the many.

As for me, I won't take another Alaska cruise that doesn't include Icy Strait Point.

John

Welcome back Koo Hook! I know others feel the same way I feel...our friend has come back! Aat Tlein Gunalcheesh for sharing with us your experiences with the Icy Strait Tournament! It must have been quite an experience! As you were describing the drums as you and the youth of Hoonah were marching in, I could almost feel the beat of the drums! I must have been a spiritual moment as the youth celebrated their identity!

Thank you also for taking the time to give me some pointers on what to do when we reach Icy Strait Point! We will be on the first tender ashore, that's for sure!

You mentioned that you are 27 years old. Are you sure??? Just kidding, but I ask because you surely have more wisdom than your years! It's evident your grandfather did a great job. I know he is proud of who you have become!

Again welcome back to Critic Square-we've missed you!

Sharon

Hello Koo Hook

We are coming to your lovely town in September. We are excited at seeing somewhere that is not packed with cruisehips, just us and you lovely people. On other port calls, we will have done/will do whales, glaciers, floatplanes, so want to do something different in ISP. We probably want to "take it fairly easy" in ISP just soaking up the place - I had hoped to go an a bear trip but it is not being offered by Celebrity in Sept according to the latest info I had

So....any ideas..............is there a short nice walk we could do, have a spot of lunch and maybe see one or two things? Shopping does not really interest us, though we will stop by a few shops.

Hope your winter is good, here in Scotland we are stuck in today, nice deep snow, so no work today yipeeeee

Hi Koo Hook sure glad you are back. Don't be a stranger. I am so looking forward to our trip back to Alaska. My DH and I are really looking forward to visit Icy Strait and to meet you. June 2 is not coming soon enough.

Marilyn

GUNALCHEESH, GUNALCHEESH...AAT TLEIN GUNALCHEESH to all of you for the great support you've shown. It's really nice to know that an individual's efforts don't go unnoticed. I voluntarily offer my advice and stories about this vast spance (sp?) of land for all those who are intrigued by the many unsaid things of Alaaqsaq. The main objective I had WAY BACK when cruise critic gave birth to me (HAHAAHA) was to make sure all of those inquiring about Icy Strait Point were getting complete and accurate information. Within that reason, I wanted to be sure that my people were being portrayed in an honest light. The whole thing was so brand new, that when I initially found cruise critic while googling Icy Strait Point, I found many people getting insufficient answers from "shot-in-the-darkers" and that's when I decided to move to Critic Square. RENT IS MORE THAN IN MANHATTAN, but the neighbors here are pretty damn good (WOOHOO). =) What few realize is that everything about Icy Strait Point was and still is so brand new, that we were and are experiencing the same great things at the same time.... regardless of the fact that I live here. It's really been one of the highlights of my long life......HAHA.....anyhow, GUNALCHEESH!!!!!! I also would like everyone to know that I too appreciate the words of wisdom and great things that you have shared as well. We are all benefiting a great deal from such an unusual, yet modernly remarkable relationship. AHHHHHHHH.....GREAT PEOPLE.....GREAT LIFE.

Hi Sherry - I believe this is the first time I've seen your name on this board. Great to see a new name. The cannery tour and Hoonah Tlingit dancers/tribal story sounds PERFECT. Just about the majority of the main facility at Icy Strait Point is on a pier, making it abundant with planked boardwalks. This is not a problem for our friends speeding around on chairs with wheels. The theater where a story is told about my people's departure from S'e Shuyee (Glacier Bay) due to the advancement of the glaciers is, again, perfectly suited for our friends with wheels. You should have absolutely no problems getting around Icy Strait Point and it's many different points of interest. As far as a place to eat so you don't have to go back for lunch, there are two separate venues at Icy Strait Point serving great meals. One is located at Gaax'ayi (Duck Point) looking out over the waters of Icy Strait, where it is NOT uncommon to see humpback and orca whales swim right past the BAYVIEW windows. Just sitting in the restaurant, you could seem as if you're a mere 50 feet away from the whales. Another place to get something great to eat a little closer to the tendering dock is the Cookhouse, where they serve great food as well, and have a nice deck for those wishing to eat outside. It too has a great view of the waters of Port Frederick and Icy Strait. Whales ALSO make themselves visible in this area. So absolutely no worries about needing to go back to the ship, you could stay on shore with us. You know, speaking of the whales, I MUST ENCOURAGE anyone who stumbles upon this post and is coming to Icy Strait Point and wasn't planning on departing the ship, at least come to shore for the rare opportunity of getting to see the whales from the shoreline (breaching, bubble-net feeding, ALL OF IT)....imagine the intensity of putting your hands in the water while the whale surfaces just 20 feet away!!!! It's exhilarating!!! Throngs of guests oo'ed and aww'ed and NEVER thought they'd get an opportunity like that....I tell ya, it's all very humbling.......

Lonestar (John) - HELLO GUY! It's great to see a familiar name around. Buddy, I absolutely appreciate the great words you've said in my defense, and I'd like you to know that karma is a great thing....only good could result from good, right? My dad will be excited to see that somebody mentioned him on this board...all of my friends and family who see their names on these boards just get tickled pink. Like I said, everything we are experiencing here in Hoonah, are things we NEVER thought we would've experienced, nor could we even contemplate how real it would become. There isn't anything that can quite describe it....so many things, and so many GREAT things at that have blanketed this community. Thank you John.

Hello Sharon - Thank you for the welcome committee and huge poster board I know you're holding up out there!!! To hear you say "you could almost feel the drums" is moving to me, because ALL of my life, there's only been one sound that's ever been able to give me chills of exuberance, and that's the sound of a Tlingit drum, and the voices of Tlingit singers......woooh...just got 'em again thinking about it. (I think Lonestar (John) knows the drums I'm talking about). It was quite the experience at the Icy Strait Tournament, and it's opened the doors for me to take better hold of the reigns to lead our young people towards a prideful, proud and healthy existance. I'm TOTALLY STOKED! Oh, there's the 20's in me.....HAHAHA....thank you for thinking I'm wise for my years....I just know when to act decently and when to let myself go (around people the same age as me..HAHA). No, I just know how strongly words can reflect on a person, and more importantly, on a people. Feeling like an ambassador of sorts for my people, it's a must that the honest light that exposes us, exposes most importantly the respectable nature that we are all instilled with. I take my grandfather's Tlingit and english name, so it's mandatory that I carry it high. Maybe it does age me....dang, I haven't looked in the mirror in a while actually.......................

Uktog - What a great screen name.....it almost sounds aboriginal to maybe the Yupik or Inupiaq....but I'm guessing it has something to do with the UK?

So you're looking to take it "fairly easy" at Icy Strait Point are ya? I'd have to say, this is a great place to do just that. There are many trails that you can readily access and experience the temperate rainforest here, and there is also immediate access to the beach, where you might consider sitting and eating a small bite. It's got great views, and the sounds of the waves, small or big, lapping against the rocks is quite relaxing. There is also a "Journey Through Time" located at Icy Strait Point, that at your will, you can purchase a ticket and meander through, witnessing the evolutionary process of the Xunaa Kaawu from back when we lived in Glacier Bay, up until present day existance in Hoonah. It's really quite interesting, and the trail that takes you to these six different stops is nice and secluded as well. You can go at your own leisure and it's very decently priced I believe. PLUS, there are GREAT BERRY PATCHES along the way, but DON'T tell people, unless they read it here themselves. For those of you who read this, DON'T TELL ANY OTHER PEOPLE you may be traveling with, except maybe your spouse and offspring, because these berry's are MINE!!!!! HAHAH....WOOHOO!! So...I could go on and on....a great bike excursion into the community and out towards the Tongass National Forest.....a nice walk along the coast towards Hoonah....just DON'T FORGET what I told you about the berry's.....SSSSHHHHHH....ALL OF YOU!

Hi Marilyn - Thank you as well for being part of the welcoming committee. Ahhhh....where are the lady's with grapes and fans???? NAHHHH.....I'm just joking....REALLY..I promise. When was the last time you took a trip to Alaska? Tell me about it, what kinds of great things did you do? Did you make it up to the interior???? I'm trying to schedule a trip up to Barrow in April. I really want to do the blanket toss and take part in the whaling. I think it's important for me to form strong bonds with our brothers and sisters to the North. Well, I'm excited for the sunny days of June, when the flowers are blanketing the shorelines and hill, and the animals begin to sing love songs.....HAH! Knock it off....I know what you're thinking.....I really meant singing birds.....

GREAT PEOPLE.....GREAT LIFE!

Haa Aani Aya - Koo Hook!!!

Hello! I am planning a cruise on the Summit in June, 2005. I am torn between the excursion to see whales or the bears when we stop at Icy Strait Point. I already signed up for the whale watch cruise in Juneau. Will there be many bear sightings in June at Icy Strait Point? Or do you recommend the whale watch cruise?

Thank you for your time.

BMLD

RENT IS MORE THAN IN MANHATTAN, but the neighbors here are pretty damn good (WOOHOO). =)

Wisdom AND a sense of HUMOR!!!! Clone this guy! :D

One is located at Gaax'ayi (Duck Point) looking out over the waters of Icy Strait, where it is NOT uncommon to see humpback and orca whales swim right past the BAYVIEW windows. Just sitting in the restaurant, you could seem as if you're a mere 50 feet away from the whales.

I'm sold! Koo....hold the best table by the window....I'm bringing my 82 year old mom! (in a wheelchair) (I don't know the exact day - but it's the Vision sailing on 5/27..... and to think Mom thinks she sees a **whale** everyday! (me!) ;)

You know, speaking of the whales, I MUST ENCOURAGE anyone who stumbles upon this post and is coming to Icy Strait Point and wasn't planning on departing the ship, at least come to shore for the rare opportunity of getting to see the whales from the shoreline (breaching, bubble-net feeding, ALL OF IT)....imagine the intensity of putting your hands in the water while the whale surfaces just 20 feet away!!!! It's exhilarating!!! Throngs of guests oo'ed and aww'ed and NEVER thought they'd get an opportunity like that....I tell ya, it's all very humbling.......

I'm TOTALLY STOKED! Oh, there's the 20's in me.....HAHAHA....thank you for thinking I'm wise for my years....I just know when to act decently and when to let myself go (around people the same age as me..HAHA).

What a compliment!!!!! I knew I **liked** this KID!! :D

Haa Aani Aya - Koo Hook!!!

Love this thread!!!! Later!

Love this thread!!!! Later!

Flyfisher, I totally agree! I'm so looking forward to our entire Alaskan cruise, but visiting Koo Hook's incredible piece of heaven will be the high point of my trip...I just know it!

I for one will be one of the first off the tender! My 25 year old daughter Bethany is coming with us. She does love to sleep in, but I'm quite sure she will be waking up early for this one! She wants to do a lot of hiking in Alaska & Icy Strait will be perfect for that!

Happy TGIF everyone!

Sharon

hmmm.... :confused:

You can't see the picture above? And you are the one who took it!!! Bummer :confused: I just copied and pasted it here. Is there anyone else who can't see the picture of Koo Hook?

Char I am sorry, cannot access either. I can see flyfishers but not yours.

Marilyn

I think I may have figured out the problem!! You guys haven't set your display options to see images.

1. Go to your User CP

2. Click on "Edit Options"

3. Scroll down to "Thread Display Options"

4. Check all 3 boxes

5. Scroll down to the bottom and click on "Save Changes"

Let me know if this works and if you can now see Koo Hooks picture.

Archived