Main Lower Dining? Ryndam

Joy2theWorld

We received our cruise documents about two weeks ago, but I haven't had time to deal with them until now. They say we are confirmed for Main Lower Dining. What exactly does that mean? I know we requested the later dining time. Also, would you suggest calling and asking for a table for two or just wait and see what we get? We're a 30 year old couple on our first Alaskan cruise. Thanks!

We received our cruise documents about two weeks ago, but I haven't had time to deal with them until now. They say we are confirmed for Main Lower Dining. What exactly does that mean? I know we requested the later dining time. Also, would you suggest calling and asking for a table for two or just wait and see what we get? We're a 30 year old couple on our first Alaskan cruise. Thanks!

Definitely e-mail Ship services and ask for your table for two.

You can also contact them for a Dining Room diagram that shows all the numbers and you can request it by number. They will tell you there is no guarantee, but they will do their best. Be sure and give them your booking number and ship and sail date when you e-mail

HAL_Ship_Services@HollandAmerica.com

Main lower dining room for an Alaskan cruise on the Ryndam -- you will be eating at 8:15.

Not exactly certain when your cruise is, but it may be too late to request a table for 2. Your TA should have taken care of this at final payment.

Krazy,

I am not sure it would be too late. I got the impression when I requested that they would just as soon not get the request too far in advance and like to see them closer to the time they actualy make decisions as to who sits where.

Personally, I do it when I book and again about a month out from the cruise....or maybe a couple weeks before. I have had phenominal luck on getting the table I want and I generally request a table for two.

Our TA requests a specific table at the time of booking even though we book a year in advance most of the time and she then sends a fax to Ships Services about a month before departure. We have had success with our requests all the time.

Thank you for the advice. I will email them tomorrow. Do I just give my confirmation and cabin number? We are cruising on Sept. 17th, so, perhaps it might not be too late. My husband is just on the quiet side with strangers so I think a table for 2 would be ideal. However, I think he enjoyed the company on our Disney cruise, so it won't be a huge deal if we don't get a table for 2.

We didn't use a travel agent and I did not know you could specifically request a table until today, so, thanks for all the great information.

Thank you for the advice. I will email them tomorrow. Do I just give my confirmation and cabin number? We are cruising on Sept. 17th, so, perhaps it might not be too late. My husband is just on the quiet side with strangers so I think a table for 2 would be ideal. However, I think he enjoyed the company on our Disney cruise, so it won't be a huge deal if we don't get a table for 2.

We didn't use a travel agent and I did not know you could specifically request a table until today, so, thanks for all the great information.

How did you book your trip, then? Even the HAL web site asks what size table you'd like....

We ended up booking directly with HAL. We didn't use the online reservation system though. Perhaps the person just neglected to ask us about table size because I didn't know that was an option.

They did send me the floor plan. I need a little help understanding the diagram. There are some rectangles that are just numbered, but show no seats. These are primarily next to the tables for two. Are they possibly the stations for wait staff?

Thanks!

Joyce

Yes, main lower (or early lower) means the lower level of the dining room. There are plenty of tables for 2 in either - often, a table for 4 will be set for 2 which is really ideal as the typical 2-top can be a bit cramped at times.

We ended up booking directly with HAL. We didn't use the online reservation system though. Perhaps the person just neglected to ask us about table size because I didn't know that was an option.

They did send me the floor plan. I need a little help understanding the diagram. There are some rectangles that are just numbered, but show no seats. These are primarily next to the tables for two. Are they possibly the stations for wait staff?

Thanks!

Joyce

Yes, those squares are wait stations.

Archived