Upgrades

chasbets

What's the reason for H>A> offering upgrades for a sailing one week hence for an additional fee? I have only heard of people getting an upgrade gratis, or at least that was my impression. Any opinions on if this is a good deal, or just that they can sell my cabin if I pay more to get a verandah?

You got it.

this is a good deal, or just that they can sell my cabin if I pay more to get a verandah?

HAL is having trouble selling the more expensive cabin. So, they offer it to you (at a reduced rate), then re-sell yours.

They make more $$$$$ that way.

I am aware of an online T/A that uses the term "upgrade" when they are asking you to consider a more costly cabin. They show it to you in terms of the difference in cost, ala the cost to upgrade. They do it with online queries as well as booked reservations, often with a better discount than if you had purchased the more costly cabin outright.

I believe the most common reason upgrades occur is because too many lower price cabins get sold and is becomes a business necessity for the fairy to visit soem of the passengers. In other words, I think it unlikely that if the only cabins sold on a given cruise were inside, that all passengers would be upgrades to suites, verandas and outside.

I do not see anything inappropriate with this activity given the cruise is more profitable if more costly cabins are sold.

I've always been under the impression that there's a difference between "upgrades" and "upsale offers". The former being a gratis upgrade, the latter being made as a deeply discounted last minute offer for paxs to purchase a higher cat. cabin. For instance when you booked the difference between an inside and a verandah may have been $300.00, but the line is now offering you an "up sale" on that for $100.00..... for the reasons mentioned above.

Upgrade, upsale whatever !

The term upgrade has been used for years. Recently NCL started using the term "upsale". Other cruise lines have not followed using this term to date.

Moving from one category to a higher one is still an "upgrade" regardless if you paid for it or not.

But back to the OP's original post.

All cruise lines do this. As Ruth said it is for $$$$. They are going through their juggling routine with all the guarantees and available cabins.

If someone booked the lowest priced cabin, and there are suites available, many times they are going to offer the suites at a price, to some people that are booked a cateogory lower. The guarantees normally do not get moved into a big suite or PH.

People do get moved to higher categories without paying for it on occassions. I believe it happens much less than people think.

People do get moved to higher categories without paying for it on occassions. I believe it happens much less than people think.

The Upgrade Fairy waves her wand in mysterious ways.

On Zuiderdam last month, our traveling companions were informed at the dock that they had been upgraded five categories, from a standard outside to a verandah, for free!

That doesn't happen very often.

;o)

Thanks for all who answered my question. It is I suspected - more suites available and more customers who want my outside. They want $200 more per person for the suite w/verandah. My travel agent is trying to find out the location. Any opinions on whether this is a good deal or not appreciated.

It depends somewhaton what category you are going from and to. If it's just to a higher deck, probably not. To a different category...maybe. Ultimately it's a matter of whether or not it's worth the difference to you.

If I understood correctly, that is a big jump from an outside to a suite for just $200 pp. I assume by outside you do not mean a balcony. If it's a regular outside to a suite, IMO I'd jump on it! :D

If that's the case, so would I!!! Instead of being here asking, I'd be here bragging! ;)

Just rereading a post of mine, from yesterday....... Did I think I was entering the "Fast Fingers" contest?

And then there was another, where I was jabbering about Alaska that had nothing to do with anything.

Sorry.

Just rereading a post of mine, from yesterday....... Did I think I was entering the "Fast Fingers" contest?

And then there was another, where I was jabbering about Alaska that had nothing to do with anything.

Sorry.

LOL...I do the same thing. :)

And I'm bad when it comes to changing what I am talking about. I will be on one subject, and then without warning, I change to some other subject. It drives my kids nuts. But I think it's genetic...so I do get a good laugh over that one. ;)

Archived