Page Stealing

After reading a million things on the RCCL board I saw something about page stealing. But of course can't find it - and search says it can't find it.

What is it? And what is it used for?

Thanks for any info!

Well hey there. Soo funny that you said "hi" I was just showing someone the other day your pics from British Isles.

I am taking a ship inspection with a local agency on the 24th of September (Anne too of course) on the Freedom.

I can't wait to hear your review and see your pics.

Is Mike gonna do the FLOWRIDER? LOL

Have a great time.

Michelle

Hopefully, we will have the review and pics up before you take the inspection. I don't know if I could do an inspection tour of the Freedom. I wouldn't want to get off without spending a few days on her.

The answer to the question is NO. I am not about to do the flow rider. I have no desire to have pain in my body for the rest of my life. :D But I will be out there taking lots of pictures of other people destroying their bodies.

Our TA went on that "quick" sailing they had when she first started sailing and she said that they had to adjust it because the water pressure was so hard it was knocking swim suit tops off !?!?

Have a great time! Tell Carol I said "hi".

Can't wait to hear all about it from you guys.

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

I've never heard the term "page stealing". One time we did have a guy on the CC board take credit for our review, including a link to it. I guess he didn't think anyone would go to the home page from the review and see that it wasn't his! Duh!

In "Geek-speak"

When DB2 must take away a page in the buffer pool to make room for a newer page, this action is called "stealing" the page from the buffer pool. DB2 usually uses a least-recently-used (LRU) algorithm for managing pages in storage. That is, it takes away older pages so that more recently used pages can remain in the buffer pool.

When this supply becomes low, z/OS uses page stealing to replenish it, that is, it takes a frame assigned to an active user and makes it available for other work. The decision to steal a particular page is based on the activity history of each page currently residing in a real storage frame. Pages that have not been active for a relatively long time are good candidates for page stealing.

(from IBM info)

Still trying to translate all that into English tho...

Not sure what that would have to do with RC website, unless you were trying to look at a page that was no longer available due to page stealing....

If they're talking about Web Page (or Site) Stealing, it simply means people taking the style, wording, or other information from a page and using it for their own purposes.

In some cases, I've seen less-than-scrupulous Travel Agents or Online Guide Authors take things right from an Airline, Cruise, or even Hotel Chain's page without permission and claiming it as their own.

Royal Caribbean and other Cruise Sites obviously allow the controlled use of images and text for sales and marketing purposes, but in some cases, this could be abused.

Similar to what CAPnBoynton said earlier about someone claiming someone else's work, but other examples include people taking all of the source code from a page or modifying it slightly. An even more blatant example could be a travel agent stealing the booking engine from RCCL's website, and putting it on their own site. :-0

Other examples could be that someone that hotlinks or steals bandwidth - like user A references an image hosted by user B, and user B is stuck with the costs of bandwidth every time that image is referenced. Someone might think an image is cool to use on their website or signature, and instead of taking it (which is bad in itself) without express or implied permission, they link to it. Then the victim wonders why there's 50000 calls to an image when their web site only gets 100 hits. :-)

Now, we could be talking about something 180 degrees from this, but, it's a shot!

-Steve

Archived