Dinner

barriesdad

In the main dining room you order as many different items as you want to - salads, appetizers, entrees, desserts, etc.

We have found the proportions to be large enough for us so we have never ordered multiples of anything. Even if there are several entrees that we like on the same menu, we still don't order a couple of each - too wasteful as we would never be able to eat everything.

But there are some people who will order lots of everything and if it is a large table of family and friends, they will pass the dishes around for everyone to get a sample of everything.

And then there are people who will order multiple entrees, etc., and they are able to eat most of everything they order.

The portions are pretty good size plus there ares several courses. I too at times have seen people order more than one entry or desert;) I have at times asked for a second cup of soup if the soup was very enak sekali/excellent (i.e. the ministrone) and if I was not having an appetizer and/or salad. The stewards usually have no problem with such requests. Never seen anyone pass those extra ordered entries down the table;)

The portions are pretty good size plus there ares several courses. I too at times have seen people order more than one entry or desert;) I have at times asked for a second cup of soup if the soup was very enak sekali/excellent (i.e. the ministrone) and if I was not having an appetizer and/or salad. The stewards usually have no problem with such requests. Never seen anyone pass those extra ordered entries down the table;)

Last time I cruised with Carnival there were 11 of us at the table. It was 4 days into the cruise and our waiter got to know our appetite well. I had just come back from a scub. diving excursion and could have eaten a horse. I ended up eating 2 of everything. (My waiter simply brought me the dishes twice without even asking since he must have seen how I inhaled my food) I am sure this is also the case with HAL (I guess I'll find out in a couple of months)

one nite on the menu was lobster and another choice was steak and many people order surf and turf---- the steward has also asked in the past if anyone wanted another lobster tail- we have also ordered a third dessert --------------------but no double ordering on a regular basis --like every meal

The portions are moderately sized and, yes, you can order several entrees if you wish ... or desserts or whatever.

I can't imagine being able to eat more than one entree, though I have ordered two helpings of a favorite soup on occasion ... and then maybe will skip the appetizer to make room for the extra bowl of soup. I have also ordered double desserts on occasion if they have something I really like. My normal dessert every night is the sorbet since a lot of HAL's desserts are chocolate which I can't eat. I look forward to my sorbet and sometimes when they have something else I really like, I will ask the waiter for that plus my sorbet. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

We have sailed, several times, with another family that has 5 high school/college -aged boys. It is their routine to order one of everything and they eat it all. The waitstaff never blinks as as the cruises progress, they asked the boys if they wanted "the usual". At first, I was embarassed. After a few nights of this, all one could do was stare, in awe. The real scarry part is that dinner was just the begining for these kids. They continued to fuel as long as they were awake.

The only thing I have ever ordered 2nds of are the lobster tails and that is on every cruise! I have seen people at our table order several things ( I think it is just because they know they can do it) and then let them go to waste --either they did not care for it or were too full to finish it. Quite a waste. Sue

Your waiter is going to go all the way to make sure you enjoy your meal. Order anything on the menu, as much as you like. Some nights I order two or three appetizers, and sometimes after that skip the entree! Our last cruise, two teens in our party ordered three desserts every night!

You can also mix and match -- if you want fish but it comes with rice, order the garlic mashed potatoes that come with the pork instead. Your waiter will fix it. Or some times we would order a couple of plates of pasta or Bami Goreng and just pass them around.

On lobster night, our waiter just gave up. He put a big platter of lobster tails in the middle of the table and we just kept working on it! (I only had 4 ...)

Obviously we all hope if you are our table mates, you won't act like a pig and order bunches of stuff you aren't going to eat. But if you enjoy it, order it!

;)

For me personally, I like to try new things so I tend to order two appetizers each night, then one or two soups, no salad usually, then one entree is fine and sometimes a dessert.

Occasionally I'll do two entrees but that's just to try the other one and it is wasteful so I only do that a couple of nights out of a week.

On HAL I think at the LIDO they serve your food for you and I actually tend to waste more food there than anywhere. If I load may plate at a buffet I rarely put more than one third of a spoon of anything on my plate but they tend to put at least a spoon full, way to much for me.

Point being is since I can't control the portions, I just let go of the guilt and enjoy trying the different food.

Each person is different and I am sure there are alot of people that the portions are perfect and some the portions are tooo little. Just enjoy!

On our last HAL cruise we were in an S veranda. The concierge mentioned that if there was something special that we would like to order, just to request it the day before. They were VERY accomodating.

The really fun part about the ability to multiple order is the ability to try new dishes. Sometimes we would order multiple appetizers and not even order an entree.

Have fun.

Archived