Zenith Guaranty ??

jas4141

Anyone have experiences with GTY 's on the Zenith? or any other ship for that matter. I realize they state that you will get the BEST available in the category you book or better but thought some personal experiences would be of interest. Thanks in advance.

Have done guarantees on HAL (and other lines) many times, not yet sailed Celebrity -- in my experience the guarantee will get the cabin NOT chosen by other sailors. Yes, you may get the best available, you may (or may not) get an upgrade -- but the bottom line on a guarantee is that you will be assigned a cabin from those not specifically chosen and booked by others.

Before accepting a guarantee, look at the ship's diagram and be sure that you would be acceptably happy in any cabin covered by the guarantee, from the minimum category all the way to the top category. If there are cabins there, that if assigned, will truly ruin your trip don't do it. (Be sure to look for locations like those just under or above a late night music venue, those with port holes and obstructed views, those right next to the children's area as you will find on deck 5 of the Zenith, those that open to a large atrium, elevators or public area, etc) If you are flexible and able to go with the flow with anything then more power to you -- enjoy the extra cash and take pot luck.

On HAL we often take a balcony guarantees on their R and S class ships because we do not believe that we could be in a bad location on those ships with such an arrangement and we have always been happy. We took a guaranty on an HAL Vista class balcony this summer and ended up on in cabin that suffered from significant engine noise and vibration, not a deal breaker for us but a mistake that we will not make again. On our September Zenith cruise we chose a specific cabin because we felt on that ship that there were too many locations that, for us at this time, would be a deal breaker. I am all for guarantees, but plan ahead, look carefully, and be forewarned.

jas4141---We have taken guarantees on several X ships with never a problem---EXCEPT--- on Zenith with an inside gty. There are some inside cabins that are horrendous! I am a loyal X'er but I would advcise anyone against booking inside gty on Zenith. Look at the deck plans for Caribbean deck. Stay away from the little ones near mid-deck (6084-6085). I can't speak for the other ones. On Zenith, book only outside/cc/suite GTYS.

BTW, don't fall for the stuff people are saying---knocking Zenith. She is a wonderful little ship. She's not a baby or a teenager, but she has aged gracefully. She has wrinkles and needs a face-lift but she is still great to be around.

DH and I booked an oceanview GTY on Zenith and ended up in 9016, Bermuda deck. Actually, we've only booked GTY cabins because we really don't care where we are. As long as it's on the ship....we're happy. Besides, we live in a 70 year old log house, so any cabin would be a luxury to us :D .

Thanks, Chorts, I'm with you, things don't have to be the most modern to please me...cleanliness and charm are more important. Ships R Great, I've been concerned about being right above the engines, aft location. Don't consider myself a light sleeper so I think I could deal with a constant humm of engines but loud, noisy, interrupted engine noise might be another situation.

You mentioned staying away from smaller mid ship cabins such as 6084-85. Why is that? Just curious as to your concerns with those cabins.

As for the Zenith, I hope it works out that we can sail her because, I've heard good things, as you've mentioned, that make Zenith a very special vessel. Naysayers I take with a grain of salt because there are too many who love the "ole gal".

Thanks to both of you for you input.

Thanks, Chorts, I'm with you, things don't have to be the most modern to please me...cleanliness and charm are more important. Ships R Great, I've been concerned about being right above the engines, aft location. Don't consider myself a light sleeper so I think I could deal with a constant humm of engines but loud, noisy, interrupted engine noise might be another situation.

You mentioned staying away from smaller mid ship cabins such as 6084-85. Why is that? Just curious as to your concerns with those cabins.

As for the Zenith, I hope it works out that we can sail her because, I've heard good things, as you've mentioned, that make Zenith a very special vessel. Naysayers I take with a grain of salt because there are too many who love the "ole gal".

Thanks to both of you for you input.

The only time we had a bad sail (and that was only in the cabin for two days, before they moved us) was when we booked a B2B gty on Zenith. The first cabin was fine. The second was 6084. The configuration is such that it seems to be much smaller, there is not even 50% of the storage in other cabins, the bed is jammed up between the walls so it is difficult to see the TV, it is just inconveniently arranged. It is right beside the storage area for Cabin Attendants so there was door banging at all hours. The steward told us they used that cabin as an "emergency" cabin and he was surprised we were booked there. But it turned out all right and it did not sour me on X or Zenith---just made me think more carefully about Gtys.

The Concierge took pity on us and moved us to an outside cabin. After that all was well.

As you can see, I have sailed Zenith many times and have a particular fondness for her despite her having some age-related maladies. You must, however, be very careful with a guarantee as many of her staterooms are located under the galley or over the Rainbow room or other lounges. If you are a heavy sleeper, no problem. Remember, the galley functions almost 24 hours continuously and has a tile floor.

For every story of someone being bumped 5 categories, there is probably someone who didn't really move very far and received a far-from-ideal cabin.

It really depends on how much you think noise will affect you.

patrickc---bite your tongue! I recommend this lovely little lady to any and all who wish to have a wonderful sail. As I have said before, she has aged gracefully. She has wrinkles and may need a facelift but like an old beloved aunt, you overlook those things because you have learned to love her despite her frailties. Those who wish a glitzy, new ship have many choices. Zenith is not for everyone. But for those of us who love her, she is often our choice. And her crew is "up to par" with any X ship on the waters---even above par.

We did an interior guaranty (cat 12 cabin) to Bermuda. We were given a cat 5 exterior cabin near the aft of the ship. Nice upgrade! Just know you'll feel the engines when arriving or departing ports. Not a real big deal... if you consider it a "wake up call" in the morning. We were pleased. Here is a very detailed review of Zenith to Bermuda. http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/bermuda.html

Hi everyone,

I will be on Zenith on september 9th, we took a GTY reservation (cat 12) and i received confirmation that we are booked in cabin 6084 -

Last january, i traveled on the Spirit (NCL) and we had an outdoor CC Deck 8 - Noisy... from the waves crashing on the ship!!!

Previous cruise was cat 11 (bottom deck) on Constellation - dead quiet...i slept like a baby all week long..

At first i was very happy about getting cc 6084... Midship (less motion) , near elevator, etc.. But now i am concerned about the comments i just saw here... Shoult i Call Celebrity and ask for a change ??

I don't mind if the room is small (we've been 4 gilrs in the same stateroom in the past!!!)

I don't mind either for acces if TV is out of reach or inexistent...

The things that are importants to me are..

1- Noise.. is it really noisy all night long ? i am a light sleeper and need a quiet environnement to rest well...

So.. is it really noisy all day and night or only a few door closings..

2- Beds must be in good condition and clean...

Thank you very much for your advice.. i will call celebrity to ask for options if it's really noisy..

Lady Crusoe, the bed was like all X beds. We had no problem with the mattress and bedding. There was the noise problem, tho'. As I said before, the cabin is right next to a storage area and that door was opening and closing at all hours.

They probably won't change you now, if you have a guarantee. Maybe once you get on board, if you find the noise a problem. Good luck.

Archived