Pier Parking FLL

Dalabar

Is it easier to park directly at the pier or to use one of the park n fly lots near the pier? Also, how safe is your car at either of these places? I noticed one of the park n fly places says their shuttle runs every 30 minutes. I wonder if this would be a pain to wait for the shuttle. Is your car more accessible if it is parked directly at the pier? Thanks for your help.

Of the two, the pier parking is safer. Everyone going into Port Everglades has to go through the Sheriff's security checkpoint, ID's are checked, your destination is verified, if you have no business in the port your not getting into the port (or anywhere near the parking garages).

• 2 months later...

I'm still conflicted over where to park during our cruise Thanksgiving week.

My wife and I just completed a 10 day cruise on 10/21. The midweek departure, coupled with our midafternoon arrival time made embarkation the easiest it's ever been for us. Of course being the only ship in port played a large role in that.

We parked at an off site parking lot, figuring that since there was a good chance we would embark and disembark at different terminals (which in fact ended up being the case) it would be easier when we got off of the ship to be picked up by a shuttle and taken back to our car than to go all over the port looking for it.

It turns out that the shuttle driver went to the wrong terminal to pick us up (when he called me on my cell phone and I told him where we were, he said I was at the wrong terminal). When he got to our terminal he parked not in the "loop" where we and our bags were, but in another area, not too far away, but far enough that it took me several minutes to make the trips needed to get the bags to him. By the time I got there with my first load, others waiting on him had already filled his van with their luggage and themselves. he apologized, said he had no idea where they had all come from, and promised to be back to get us in "less than 10 minutes".

By the time he returned, some 25 minutes or so later, there were once again way too many people waiting for him than he could take. He offered to take the drivers for the groups whose luggage wouldn't fit and they could come back and pick up their fellow passengers and their bags, or they could wait for "10 minutes" for him to come back and pick them up.

Bottom line, it was more than an hour and a half between when the porter dropped our bags off outside the terminal until I was underway driving home.

This was with 3 ships in port. there will be 8 ships disgorging passengers when we disembark on 11/25, so I can only imagine how horrific it will be.

I don't mind taking our time getting off of the ship since we know it will be a zoo scene. I just wonder what option will be the best for us.

I think you just answered your own question. :p

Parking at the port yourself is hassle free, cars protected 24/7, you can leave the ship whenever you want and not have to worry about a shuttle.

I liked using Park N Fly at Port Everglades. We used them last year and will again in December. They help you on and off the shuttle with your baggage. It is quicker through the Port Everglades security than waiting in line with all the passenger vehicles. (Not sure why) We were picked up promptly at the parking area and again when we returned. We did not have to call, the shuttle was waiting for us. It is also somewhat less expensive. Port is $12 a day, ParkNFly is $9. Also we reserve and pay in advance and are assured of a spot -- less driving around and looking. When we parked in the port lot a few years ago, we had one person wait with the bags while the other drove to the lot and parked. Same when we returned. I just found it easier to park in a smaller area. One drawback -- lot is not covered as it would be in a multi-story garage. Security is fine at ParkNFly -- always someone there and the lot is security fenced. (Go to http://www.parknfly.com and select Port Everglades.)

Park and Fly is a decent set up, too bad the savings just isn't that great. As Augie pointed out the shuttle can leave a lot to be desired, especially when three or more ships are in the port at the same time. For the $12 a day I'd park in a covered, secure garage right next to my terminal. ;)

Archived