Live from the Crown Princess 8/25/2006

Netnurse31

I decided to post live from the ship this week because I enjoyed all of the "live" posts in the past when planning my cruise. A heartfelt thanks go out to all of you who have done so.

We left our house in northern Westchester County NY at 10 am in a terrible rain storm. So much for great weather at sailaway! It didn't damper our spirits and we arrived at the pier by 11:30am. Not bad for driving with a tornado watch on our heels if I must say so myself ;)

After arriving, we checked in to find out they had already started boarding. We were through checkin and in our stateroom by 11:45. Embarkation was, hands down, the easiest we have ever encountered.

We are in E732, a Vista suite. The suite is smaller than our Penthouse suite we sailed in last year on NCL but beautiful all the same. We are totally aft on the port side of the ship. The balcony is fantastic with 2 lounge chairs, a table and 4 chairs....all teak. Our room steward has been very helpful and all our requests have been met immediately if not sooner.

We are in the Boticcelli Diningroom, tradition first seating. Our meal tonight was delicious and our wait team was fantastic as well. We were brought many dishes that we didn't order so that we could try them. I can see I'm going to gain a few pounds this week <sigh>

I have to run for now but I will check in daily to see if I can answer any of your questions. The Crown is a beautiful ship and shows no sign of previous damage. So far the seas have been relatively calm and the ship feels very stable.

PS: Is Sarge the comedian still on board?

He's gotten Great reviews on previous posts...

TNX RanK

He was on board on this cruise. What a talent. It was announced on our cruise he will be appearing at Avery Fisher Hall at Lincoln Center in January. He has just been cast in a new movie called I believe Ten it will involve vignettes based on the ten commandments and Sarge is cast in two of the skits. This movie will involve some top talent. He has had a struggle to get there for over fifteen years and revealed to the audience I was in that fifteen years ago he was a homeless addict on the streets of New York and has fought through great obstacles to get where he is at this point. It will be fun to follow his career. He deserves anything that comes his way. His life has not been easy.

He was on board on this cruise. What a talent. It was announced on our cruise he will be appearing at Avery Fisher Hall at Lincoln Center in January. He has just been cast in a new movie called I believe Ten it will involve vignettes based on the ten commandments and Sarge is cast in two of the skits. This movie will involve some top talent. He has had a struggle to get there for over fifteen years and revealed to the audience I was in that fifteen years ago he was a homeless addict on the streets of New York and has fought through great obstacles to get where he is at this point. It will be fun to follow his career. He deserves anything that comes his way. His life has not been easy.

Both my mom (82) and I (much younger:) enjoyed Sarge. We saw him both times on the 8/7 cruise...but we really enjoyed him as one of the critic of the Princess Idol finals...he was a hoot..as was the staff guy that also was a judge. Very quick wits!

Good morning Cruise Critic!

For any of you who will be sailing with children, the kids clubs are wonderful. My 17 year old DS met a great group of kids last night and came tumbling in at 2am :eek: . My 11 yr old DD is at the kids club right now having a blast.

As for your questions, I haven't seen any info on Sarge in the Patters yet but I will let you know. Local channels are not available on the TV. Major news channels, a couple of movie channels and some channels that have old re-runs...that's about it. Who wants to watch TV anyway????

Today is our first sea day and the water has been very calm. The ship remains extremely stable with no signs of "rocking". There is some slight creaking in the aft cabins but nothing to really bother you. As for the cabins above Club Fusion, there is some sound from the music downstairs but again, nothing that really disturbs.

Food has been amazing. Some cruise lines have been cutting back in quality and quantity of their food but I can tell you, Princess has not. We have had no compliants at all!

My parents are doing a vows renewal this evening so I will let you know how that goes.

I'll keep in touch :)

I am so glad you are enjoying your cruise so far. The Crown is a beautiful ship and we enjoyed most of our experience on her for the 8/16 cruise. I wrote elsewhere about our cabin, E602, and the sewer odor in the corridor and in our cabin. Any problems with that so far for you? I certainly hope not, but was told by our cabin steward that this has been a persistent problem over the past few cruises. Just curious...

I haven't seen any info on Sarge in the Patters yet but I will let you know.

:)

We were on the 8/16 sailing. Sarge announced at his last show that he was disembarking the ship in Grand Cayman, and would be busy for a few months filming a movie and prepping for his show in Lincoln Center.

Two oher comedians onboard for that sailing were great- Justin McKinnon (only did 1 show!) and Carlos Oscar (1 show as well, I think) were quite good. I couldn't say the same for the ventriloquist (Charlie Byrd) or the other comedian. The "headliner" Paul Emmanuel wasn't that great, either. Production shows were superb, as were many of the lounge acts. The "Crown Princess Orchestra" is phenomenal as well. You'll have a great time!

We are also here on the Crown this week, and I have to agree with Netnurse, we have been more than pleased with everything so far. Dinner last night was in Sabatini's and it was wonderful -- the room has been much improved from the setting on the Grand and the Golden, it's now on deck 16 aft and is bigger, more elaborate, with windows on all sides that look out on the sea and the aft pool. Beautiful!! Alas, Sarge the comedian has left --- his replacement performed in last night's Welcome Aboard show and he was nothing to get too excited about, some of his humor seemed pretty adolescent to me (bathroom jokes, that sort of thing.) I can't remember his name at the moment, I'll have to look it up. There is a change from what I've seen discussed in recent posts --- MUTS is now silent with subtitles during the day, you can also buy a headset for $2.50 and I think you keep this. My understanding is that it has the regular volume in the evenings, although we didn't get up there last night. Also, there is a steamed hot dog cart (with sauerkraut) near the pool, they also have them at the grill but this was a nice change. No problems with crowding or lines so far, I'm happy to report. We have a mini-suite on Dolphin deck and there have been no issues with the AC, either. Anyway, I'll check back in later. If you have any questions, either Kimberly or I would be happy to answer them.

If either of you drink wine can you please see if they have a special wine list???? I've been trying to find out for weeks and no luck so far. I'm talking about at Vines, not the dining room.

Thanks for the live posts!

If either of you drink wine can you please see if they have a special wine list???? I've been trying to find out for weeks and no luck so far.

http://www.princess.com/onboard/services/gifts/cellars.html

THis is a list of most of the stuff they have...might have some additional things

We are here on the Crown, sitting in the Internet Cafe which is just a few steps from Vines, so we grabbed the wine menu and brought it in. Let's see ----wines by the glass are Korbel Brut for $6.50, Moet for $12 and Moet Extra Dry for $29. White wines are Sauvignon Blanc Kenwood for $6.50, Pinot Grigio Danzante for $7.50, Pinot Grigio Santa Margherita for $10, Chardonnay Chateau Montelena for $11, Pinot Noir Robert Mondavi for $6.50, Kenwood Jack London for $12, Zinfandel Kenwood Yalupa for $7.50. There are others, also, this is just a sample. There are also several wine flights --- Sauvignon Blanc Discovery for $7.50, Top White Flight for $10, Top Red Flight for $11.50, and some others. There is a long list, let me know if you need more info. We haven't tried Vines yet but we plan to, the wine and the seafood, sushi look great.

Hello,

We Are Booked On The Lido Deck Room L103 Very Front Of Ship.......curious As To What Sort Of View From That Oceanview (partially Obstucted View, They Say) Room Is All About. I Think We Can See Right Out To The Bridge (looking At The Big Picture Of The Ship On The Princess Website)....if You Can Please Wander Up There And Let Me Know, I'd Appreciate It. Thanks..thanks.....!!!

Thanks for the live posts so we can live vicariously through you! We are booked in room L104, in the front of the ship and would love to know what kind of view you would think we might have. It looks like there is a door right beside that room that would allow you to go out onto the front of the ship. If you could check that out some day, we would be forever in your debt.

Thanks, and have a wonderful cruise!

If either of you drink wine can you please see if they have a special wine list???? I've been trying to find out for weeks and no luck so far. I'm talking about at Vines, not the dining room.

They havea a wine tasting in the dining room on of the days mid cruise it is $9.50 and you can sample many wines and learn. I heard that it is very good.

Can you get the scoop on the coffee? Is the "syrup" coffee bad? You actually have to pay for brewed coffee? What about tea? I have a group going and would hate to now explain about these extra costs.

Thanks!

The word is from the people that has already sailed on the Crown Princess is there is a charge of $25 for the coffee card. This will give the card holder the eright to drink all they want of the good coffee, teas cappucciunos, etc. The coffee in the horizon court is not good in my opinion. The coffee in the dining room is good coffee.

Bill Payne

Cynbar thanks so much for the info! It was exactly what I was looking for. Glad to hear you'll be checking out the offerings. Let me know what you think of Vines when you return.

Have a wonderful cruise!

The word is from the people that has already sailed on the Crown Princess is there is a charge of $25 for the coffee card. This will give the card holder the eright to drink all they want of the good coffee, teas cappucciunos, etc. The coffee in the horizon court is not good in my opinion. The coffee in the dining room is good coffee.

Bill Payne

You get 15 punches for cappucino, latte, other coffee drinks, hot chocolate and tea. Only brewed coffee is unlimited. They wanted to charge for tea (btw, it was a nicer tea than what was offered in the dining room) DH did not want them to punch his card for tea since it was only $1 (coffee drinks are $3) so he paid for that separately. We could have gone up to the buffet for the tea, but we were too lazy!

I do not drink coffee. DH said the syrup coffee is awful. Although he did drink it in the dining room.

Archived