Live from the Crown Princess 8/25/2006

Netnurse31

Guest BeckyThane
Since this is a public site Becky...if you do indeed have pictures of the Lido deck cabins, ALL of us staying in those cabins would appreciate it if you can post the pictures ON THIS BOARD. Thanks so...much!!!

I did not stay in any those cabins, but was simply commenting on the lack of privacy on the balconies when people are standing on the observation area above the bridge. I did not take pictures of those balconies from the observation area -- that would have been the height of invasion of privacy. :eek:

I am going on the Crown on 9/30 and I would like to try the Crown Grill but I don't want to miss an exceptional night in the regular dinning room. What day in your opinion would be the best night to miss the regular dinning room?

We are on the Crown now, did the Crown Grill on day 4, which was Italian night in the main DR (although they don't name them any more!!). We also ate in Sabatini's on day 1, as recommended by previous posters, but I am not sure what was on the regular menu that night. Just my opinion, but I think that the Italian Night and the Caribbean Night (day 5) are the weakest -- I'm sure others will disagree. However, if you do choose a particular menu to miss, double check the schedule once you're onboard __ I hear that sometimes they change. We chose the night for the specialty restaurants more based on our plans for the day than the menus -- you can always choose something off the always available menu if nothing appeals to you.

Just a quick update -- we had a lovely day in St Thomas yesterday, the weather was perfect, sunny all day and not too hot by Caribbean standards. We did a private tour with Godfrey and were very pleased --- he picked us up at the ship promtly at 10:00, dropped us in town for some shopping, then picked us up again for a 2 hr island tour, and finally dropped us off at Coki Beach for some beach time before bringing us back to the ship --- quite a bargain for $25/each. Sailaway was lovely, as always, and dinner was a big hit with surf and turf (filet mignon and shrimp) and snapper with a Thai twist. We've found the food to be very good to excellent, all week.After dinner was the Motor City show --- all those Motown hits brought back lots of memories for all of us baby boomers, so we sang along and had a great time (a couple of cocktails didn't hurt.) Today is Grand Turk and the weather is still lovely. In other news, we have enjoyed James Lay as CD -- I know some others have posted that they didn't care for him, but we think he is enthusiastic and very visible, which hasn't always been true of CDs we've had, so we give him high marks for that. Mission Impossible II was apparently such a big hit at MUTS that it's returning tonight. Well, that's it for now -- write if you have any questions, we have 3 more days to answer them!

In other news, we have enjoyed James Lay as CD -- I know some others have posted that they didn't care for him, but we think he is enthusiastic and very visible, which hasn't always been true of CDs we've had, so we give him high marks for that.

I'm glad the weather is cooperating and you are having a great time!

We also liked James (and Lisa)

Have a chocolate chip cookie for me! If you go to the Int'l Cafe at 10:45, you might be able to convince someone to bring you a warm one from the back (on the last cruise, the chocolate chip went out at 11pm after they had cooled!)

First off, let me apologize for not updating this thread more frequently during our trip. I really had planned to update everyday but our good time got in the way :rolleyes:

To answer a few questions, the Vista Suite was very nice. Lots of room compaired to other cabins on the ship and the balcony was amazing. Our room steward was amazing! He kept my daughter in requested DVD's all week, kept our room spotless and handled our laundry almost every day. He was always smiling and greated us as we passed in the hall with "is there anything I can do for you?" My parents were in the balcony cabin next to ours and he was able to get a lounge chair for their balcony as well. We opened the balcony door between us and shared a huge balcony all week.

Old San Juan is definitely an easy walk from the pier. We took a ship shore excursion to the rainforest <that's a whole nother story> and were thru immigration very quickly.

I can't comment on the route we took to the pier because we hired a car. It was so easy this way. Check in was by far the easiest we have ever experienced.

Yesterday, during the early afternoon, we began to feel the effects of Ernesto. By evening time the ship was very quiet, many people sick from the ship's movement. I was very happy about the ships performance up to this time. In my opinion, the Crown did not handle the heavy seas well. She was tossing and pitching all day. What concerned us the most was the noise. I know this sounds drastic but, does anyone remember the noise coming from the titanic when she ripped in two? I swear it was close to that. The staff looked just as worried as the passengers. Many people were sick in elevators and the halls causing them to close areas down. The pools were closed which was a very smart call. It was very dangerous for anyone to be in them. We did arrive back in NY about an hour late due to the conditions.

Disembarkation was a nightmare as previously mentioned on these boards. We were docked at 7am and didn't reach customs until 11:30am :confused:

All in all we did have a great trip save our experience with the weather. I will be doing a full review later on. If anyone else has any questions for now I'd be happy to answer them.

Yesterday, during the early afternoon, we began to feel the effects of Ernesto. By evening time the ship was very quiet, many people sick from the ship's movement. I was very happy about the ships performance up to this time. In my opinion, the Crown did not handle the heavy seas well. She was tossing and pitching all day. What concerned us the most was the noise. I know this sounds drastic but, does anyone remember the noise coming from the titanic when she ripped in two? I swear it was close to that. The staff looked just as worried as the passengers. Many people were sick in elevators and the halls causing them to close areas down. The pools were closed which was a very smart call. It was very dangerous for anyone to be in them. We did arrive back in NY about an hour late due to the conditions.

Disembarkation was a nightmare as previously mentioned on these boards. We were docked at 7am and didn't reach customs until 11:30am :confused:

All in all we did have a great trip save our experience with the weather. I will be doing a full review later on. If anyone else has any questions for now I'd be happy to answer them.

Hi Kimberly,

I don't think anyone alive remembers the noise from the Titanic :-)

The sounds you heard were the stabalizers trying to compensate for the heavy seas.

The swells were pretty high, about 12 feet which I think will cause some people to get sick on any ship. As usual I actualy enjoyed the motion. I only start getting worried about it when they bring out ropes for people to hold on to.

It was nice meeting you and many others who read and post on Cruise Critic.

Hi Kimberly,

I don't think anyone alive remembers the noise from the Titanic :-)

The sounds you heard were the stabalizers trying to compensate for the heavy seas.

The swells were pretty high, about 12 feet which I think will cause some people to get sick on any ship. As usual I actualy enjoyed the motion. I only start getting worried about it when they bring out ropes for people to hold on to.

It was nice meeting you and many others who read and post on Cruise Critic.

Charles, I was referring to the sound in the movie of course. I've been in heavy seas as well but I still stand by my opinion that the Crown didn't handle it well compared to other ships. Of course, I was in an aft suite. Perhaps the location made it worse.

Fortunately, none of my family were ill. We ate in the Boticelli dining room for early seating and 2 people were "sick" right at their tables, not a very pleasant viewing even for a nurse ;)

Charles, I was referring to the sound in the movie of course. I've been in heavy seas as well but I still stand by my opinion that the Crown didn't handle it well compared to other ships. Of course, I was in an aft suite. Perhaps the location made it worse.

Fortunately, none of my family were ill. We ate in the Boticelli dining room for early seating and 2 people were "sick" right at their tables, not a very pleasant viewing even for a nurse ;)

I was also at Boticelli for early seating. Glad I did not see the 2 people sick at their tables. I did see a bunch of barf bags outside the cabins and some yuck in the elevators. If you looked out the aft windows in Boticelli it was amazing to see how far up and down the ship was swinging with each wave.

I don't think Crown was any worse handeling than any other ship I have been on in rough seas. I have been on worse rough seas. Fortunatly rough seas don't bother me. Even in a forward cabin like on this sailing. I like rough seas and the motion from the waves!!! But I am sure it is not pleasant for that 20 or so per cent of the population that gets sea sick. As far as the sounds in the movie, that movie was a fantasy. The sounds in the movie don't mean anything really, it was a movie.

Hi all! We were also on the Aug 25th cruise - first cruise and loved it, but . . . I'm sort of glad to see we weren't the only ones sick from the swells! They were VERY high, we were on the 5th floor and you could see the waves going over the top of our window. I don't blame the ship for my being sick, but I thought surely others were too; I hope this isn't "normal" for a cruise. We didn't leave our cabin after about 1pm. It was an unfortunate end to the cruise as we missed our "last meal" and were also looking forward to seeing Sarge again, but had to focus all our attention on NOT vomiting :( . My dh isn't even sure he wants to go on another cruise. We were very happy to get back on dry land, so I was happy it happened at the END of the cruise.

Otherwise, we were so pleased with everything. Gorgeous weather, and the ship was so nice . . . I loved the dining rooms (we were Anytime, so used both Da Vinci and Michaelangelo) - sat by ourselves, and only had to wait once and then briefly. We mostly saw the comedians, and they were hilarious for the most part - didn't love the hypnotist though, and the last comedian we saw wasn't impressive - I'm sorry, I don't have names! It was Friday night, though. Loved the International Cafe but very sorry I didn't try the chocolate fondue! Every time I saw it, I just wasn't hungry!

As far as ports, I didn't love San Juan, except for the Coach outlet, where I picked up a gorgeous handbag for about half off - it was $200 below retail, can't beat that! I did love Horshoe Bay in Bermuda, I told dh it spoiled me for every other beach with that soft sand . . . it was a large beach and so clean, just amazingly gorgeous. St. Thomas I liked but didn't love - if you aren't shopping for jewelry or liquor the prices aren't so exciting - although there's a Coach outlet there too! Which I was afraid to step into after what I spent in San Juan! Didn't go to the beach in San Juan, but around the ship, the water wasn't as pretty as the other places we went. Grand Turk I actually loved, although Sarge was even joking about how there's nothing there. I just loved the non-stress of getting off the ship and not going anywhere! The beach is right there, and I also loved Margaritaville - it's a bit noisy but I thought it was fun, and with a really nice pool and loungers with umbrellas, all for free - can't beat that.

Now if I can just get my dh to get over the horror of the seasickness, I'm dying to go on another cruise - this was our anniversary cruise so no kids, but I know my kids would love it.

Sorry so long, just wanted to add my 2 cents. And as a PS - I didn't notice the sewage smell, guess we just weren't in the wrong place at the wrong time!

Kelly

I hope this isn't "normal" for a cruise. We didn't leave our cabin after about 1pm. It was an unfortunate end to the cruise as we missed our "last meal" and were also looking forward to seeing Sarge again, but had to focus all our attention on NOT vomiting :( . My dh isn't even sure he wants to go on another cruise. We were very happy to get back on dry land, so I was happy it happened at the END of the cruise

Kelly

It is not normal, but there is always the possibility. The odds increase on a cruise during the hurricane season and when out in the open Atlantic ocean. On a sailing like ours out of New York when going or returning to the Caribbean there is not much as much the Captain can do avoid heavy swells if there is a storm. When sailing out of Florida and the Caribbean you are not out in the open Atlantic but in the closed Caribbean so the seas are calmer and if there are rough seas there is a lot more room to manuver around them. You can even go in another direction and skip a port call. I have had rough seas like we had before or and even rougher seas than that but for a shorter period of time than we encountered on this sailing because there was another direction the Captain could sail to that got us out of that area. When sailing back to New York on the last day up from the Caribbean it would have to be a lot worse for the Captain to decide to sail in another direction and arrive in New York a day or two late!!! Last September when I was on a seven day cruise to Bermuda there was a hurricane in about the same area as Ernesto. The Captain on that cruise decided to leave Bermuda a day early and was able to avoid the rough seas but that sailing was returning from the East which gave him room to get around them when leaving a day early. From the direction we were returning from on this sailing there is not much that can be done. So if you are prone to sea sickness I would suggest avoiding cruises that sail in the open Atlantic.

Also many are helped by taking medicine. Bonine, which as I understand needs to be taken before getting sick but if you know you get sea sick you should start taking it at the begining of any cruise. I hear it helps a lot.

Hi Netnurse:

Did you notice if you were able to buy the $12 all day pass at the dock for the ferry and transportation in Bermuda? We have seen this on-line but don't know if we can pay for it at the wharf in Bermuda where the ship docks.

Thanks.

I'll answer this as we just did it last week on the 8/25 cruise. There is a ticket booth right next to the ship, just take a right when you exit the gangway and you can't miss it. We bought the $12 all day pass there and just stepped on the ferry to Hamilton a few feet away. They were also selling tokens if you didn't need the all day pass. The bus stop is close by but I'm not sure exactly where -- we left on the ferry and got off the bus at the shopping area at the Dockyard on our return trip, but I know the bus was going closer to the shp because a lot of people stayed on.

We were there on a Sunday and the ferry was not running. :(

We were there on Sunday 8/27 and the ferry to Hamilton was definitely running, we took it on our own but a few of the ship's tours also include this. Not sure about the ferry to St George, though.......

Kimberly,

Thank You for your honesty.

Archived