Passport cards

vivienne-j

We've just got our cruise docs - and did the obligatory doc dance! - and spent the evening looking through everything (typical newbies!).

Can someone please tell me what the Passport Cards are? Are they some kind of voucher to keep with us when we go ashore, instead of our actual passports? (We had already intended leaving our passports in our safe, and taking photocopies ashore with us.)

If it's relevant, we'll be on the Star in the Med.

Thanks for your help!

Vivienne

Since you're from the UK, your passports will be held at embarkation by the purser's office to facilitate clearing immigration in each port. You will be given cards by the purser to serve as your "proof" they have them and to get you back onboard. Be sure to take these with you when you go ashore.

It is also helpful to have a copy of the front page of your passport as well. I reduce mine to credit card size and laminate for ease of use and durability.

Hope that helps!

Guest Anorak33

Burbunny - I am a little confused. You state that as Vivienne is from the Uk her passport would be held on ship for the duration of the Mediterranean cruise.

Would a US or other citizen's passport not be held in a similar way for a European cruise?

Anorak - yes it will :) But I wanted to answer in a broader manner - her passport would be held on all cruises, while US cruisers wouldn't have their passports held for Caribbean sailings on Princess.

I knew if I didn't say UK someone would pop up and say their passport had never been held in the Caribbean and be even more confused by my answer ;)

Okay CruisinChris brought up an question for me about passports. Will we have to have an passport to cruise the panama canal on an repositioning cruise from FLL to S.F. in April. I have one and my grandson also does, but my daughter doesn't. One other question, my grandson parents are divorced his dad lives in Germany will we have to get an written consent from his dad for him to be able to go on an cruise with his mother, my daughter, and me. He is 16. Thank you

Delores

According to the US State Department a US Passport is not required but it is encouraged. It also states that you need a VISA or Tourist Card, but I've found that only applies if you are flying in not using the ship. Your best bet is to contact your TA or Princess and ask them what will be required.

http://travel.state.gov/panama.html

• 1 month later...

Just back from the Star in the Med. We are UK cruisers. Our passports were NOT kept by Princess. We locked them in our safe, and they stayed there until we disembarked. We kept photocopies with us when we went ashore. Only needed the copies once, when DH used his credit card in Athens, and they wanted ID. The copy was absolutely fine.

Still don't know what the little slips of paper were for though....!

Vivienne

Archived