Constellation - cabin 8181 - help please!

cunardcruiser

Help please!!

I am about to book the Constellation in Oct to Caribbean. I am swaying between a concierge class cabin or a family ocean view.(There will be only 2 of us). Cabin 8181 - the family one is aft and appears to have a massive balcony and appears to be good value at only an extra £200 per person. Is it frowned upon getting a family cabin if there are only two of you?

New to Celebrity so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you

David

Help please!!

I am about to book the Constellation in Oct to Caribbean. I am swaying between a concierge class cabin or a family ocean view.(There will be only 2 of us). Cabin 8181 - the family one is aft and appears to have a massive balcony and appears to be good value at only an extra £200 per person. Is it frowned upon getting a family cabin if there are only two of you?

New to Celebrity so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you

David

David: Check out this site for cabin comparisons:

http://www.geocities.com/mahdnc/Cabinpix.html

If they will let you, book it immediately ! You'll walk in and be left completely speechless !

We (just 2) have had 7199 right below and the first time we saw it, before Celebrity reclassified it to FOV and more $$, we couldn't believe our eyes ! And that veranda is one of the very best on the ship :D Go for it and good luck !

Hello

We too managed to get a FV aft on Summit. We are on the 17 Feb sailing 14 nights Panama Canal and I wanted an aft but they were all booked. We booked mid ship in a CC on deck 8.

I got to reading and reading these boards and wondered why I could not "upgrade" to an available FV cabin to be told they only hold them for families. I contacted my TA saying that other couples had been given the FVs so why couldn't we.

To cut a long story short my TA came back to say I could have the FV next to the available FV corner one since their policy is to hold these cabins for families. So we were given the one next to the aft on deck 9.

Again reading in these forums it seemed deck 9 is not always the best choice since you are directly below a public area but given the choice we wanted an aft and were prepared to put up with any noise.

I then noticed on the web site that 8181 corner aft was available as well as the 9197 (think thats the corner one) and so e mailed my TA asking if I could have 8181. I didn't say it was a corner. She came back later on that day with a confirmatorye mail saying we had been changed to 8181.

I was astounded since it didn't make sense to me to be able to have 8181 but not the one above it....

SO the outcome of all of this is we are delighted with getting this cabin and would you please take lots of pictures and post back so I can see what to expect.

As for taking the cabin away from someone else I have read that quite a few families say it works out cheaper when they book 2 adjoining cabins, giving them 2 bathrooms/toilets, etc rather than the FV since I dont think there is much reduction for a 3rd and 4th person. The cost is based per person unlike hotel rooms.

Have a great cruise.

If you can get 8181, take it! We've been in this cabin twice (with three people) and it remains our all-time favorite cabin on any ship (I've been on 20+). The cabin itself it fabulous but the balcony (for a non-suite cabin) is unbelievable. We had 20 on the balcony for a sailaway out of St. Thomas. One of our most memorable ship moments.

We've stayed in concierge class rooms twice and for us, the extra services aren't nearly as valuable as the extra room in 8181.

Have a great time!

I got to reading and reading these boards and wondered why I could not "upgrade" to an available FV cabin to be told they only hold them for families. I contacted my TA saying that other couples had been given the FVs so why couldn't we.

To cut a long story short my TA came back to say I could have the FV next to the available FV corner one since their policy is to hold these cabins for families. So we were given the one next to the aft on deck 9.

Again reading in these forums it seemed deck 9 is not always the best choice since you are directly below a public area but given the choice we wanted an aft and were prepared to put up with any noise.

I then noticed on the web site that 8181 corner aft was available as well as the 9197 (think thats the corner one) and so e mailed my TA asking if I could have 8181. I didn't say it was a corner. She came back later on that day with a confirmatorye mail saying we had been changed to 8181.

I was astounded since it didn't make sense to me to be able to have 8181 but not the one above it....

SO the outcome of all of this is we are delighted with getting this cabin and would you please take lots of pictures and post back so I can see what to expect.

As for taking the cabin away from someone else I have read that quite a few families say it works out cheaper when they book 2 adjoining cabins, giving them 2 bathrooms/toilets, etc rather than the FV since I dont think there is much reduction for a 3rd and 4th person. The cost is based per person unlike hotel rooms.

Have a great cruise.

I'm sorry, but a FV actually does save a family money - there is a reduction for a 3rd and 4th passenger, and a resourceful family will make do with the single bathroom and privacy issues. I know we did. And it is especially wonderful when you need to have everyone in the same room for a variety of reasons. In my family's case, we need to have everyone in the same room so this room is a G*dsend to me. Of course, if a couple books this room after the hold period, then more power to them. But if a couple "forces" a booking in these rooms before they're made available to the public, then it's thoughtless, not ingenious, as you've just taken a room away from a family who may need it.

By the way, even my family of 4 cannot book these rooms ahead of time. They really are held for families of 5. I book when the rooms are available as a free-for-all, and have no objections to couples booking these rooms after the hold period has been lifted. Even if it meant that I lost out on the opportunity for my family, after all, at that moment, it is first come, first served, as all cabins are.

As for the OP, I hope you've booked it. Enjoy the room, it's magnificent.

Vabeach

Thank you very much for the photos, they look so nice - however I now feel really bad about having one of the FV cabins in case I am depriving a family of it. X apparently did say that the one of the 9th deck corner was kept specifically in case a family booked it although did not say when they would release it to say just a couple.

I dont want to appear selfish and I dont want to feel guilty about keeping my cabin but after the comments below I feel really bad now.

Talk about ups and downs.

I try and convince myself that 2 weeks on a Panama Cruise is not a "family thing" and also its during term/school time so maybe any families wanting to cruise this particular one have already secured their cabins.

Thanks again for the photos. Do you have any more?

If its easier to e mail them pls feel free to do so to the address below.

I'm sorry, but a FV actually does save a family money - there is a reduction for a 3rd and 4th passenger, and a resourceful family will make do with the single bathroom and privacy issues. I know we did.

I agree. We booked our family of 4 into an FV for next year's Med cruise and it was $1500 cheaper than booking a Cat 2B balcony with a Cat 9 inside just across the hallway.

Jarronwood,

You will enjoy your cabin immensely. No need to feel guilty.

Thank you very much for the photos, they look so nice - however I now feel really bad about having one of the FV cabins in case I am depriving a family of it. X apparently did say that the one of the 9th deck corner was kept specifically in case a family booked it although did not say when they would release it to say just a couple.

I dont want to appear selfish and I dont want to feel guilty about keeping my cabin but after the comments below I feel really bad now.

Talk about ups and downs.

I try and convince myself that 2 weeks on a Panama Cruise is not a "family thing" and also its during term/school time so maybe any families wanting to cruise this particular one have already secured their cabins.

Thanks again for the photos. Do you have any more?

If its easier to e mail them pls feel free to do so to the address below.

Hi Jarronwood, my comments were not made to make you feel bad, but to correct the misconception that the FV doesn't save a family money. As you can see from my less volatile (;))fellow poster, mahdnc, it does.

I would say that I would agree with you for the most part that families who wanted to cruise on your particular cruise would have already secured their cabins, and those who haven't already know the consequences. Since you got your room fair and square (as it showed up on the X site), enjoy your room to the fullest. Enjoy breakfast and drinks on your veranda for us as we didn't get a chance to do so in that exact room this summer (and we're probably one of the few not to do so!!!) It is a great room to be in, and we enjoyed every minute of our time in there. I know you will too. :)

Archived