Feedback PLEASE for June 2007 Cruise/Land Itinerary

bayview97

We are cruising Coral Princess June 2007 with parents (70's) northbound from Vancouver to Whittier. Here is our detailed itinerary (with much help from this board). Any and all feedback welcome!!

Day 1: Fly into Vancouver day early, sightsee (might want 2 days precruise here)

Day 2: Sightsee in morning, board ship 2:00-3:00

Day 3: At sea

Day 4: Ketchikan - Misty Fiords Floatplane, Lumberjack Show (parents) Creek Street, Saxman Village

Day 5: Juneau - Whale Watching (all of us), Heli dogsledding (DH and I), Goldpanning somewhere (parents), Mendenhall Glacier, Mt. Roberts Tram, Red Dog Saloon

Day 6: Skagway - WPRR/bus to Emerald Lake and back, shopping

Day 7: At sea

Day 8: At sea

Day 9: Disembark, Taxi to Seward, overnite

Day 10: 6-hour Kenai Fjords, sightsee, overnite in Seward

Day 11: Exit Glacier, SeaLife Center in Seward, 6pm train to Anchorage, overnite in Anchorage

Day 12: Pick up rental van, get groceries in Wasilla, drive to Independence Mine (maybe), Hatcher Pass, Matanuska Glacier (so parents can walk on glacier), backtrack and overnite in Talkeetna

Day 13: DH is doing Mt. McKinley Summit flight, need advice for something the rest of us can do in Talkeetna, travel to overnite in Healy

Day 14: Denali Visitor Center, Dogsled Demo, hiking, Dinner theater, overnite in Healy

Day 15: Pick up box lunches for Shuttle to Fish Creek (or Wonder Lake), overnite in Healy

Day 16: Return to Anchorage, overnite

Day 17: Sightsee, return van, fly home.

This is our 3rd cruise and 1st for parents. Last nite we had an Alaskan Planning Party. All of us are extremely excited and totaling up the many expenses. Parents are pretty much leaving the entire itinerary up to us. Dad had open heart surgery 2 months ago but is doing extremely well and getting green light from his doctors. DH is concerned we might have too much planned (even though DH will be doing all the logistics and driving). Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Vancouver ideas:

It is a great city. My DH and I stumbled upon a rotating dining room(I believe above the Hilton) although it was a little pricey we were so excited that we did it. We got up there about an hour before sunset and it was beautiful. A Great view of the city and you could also watch seaplanes landing, also Canada Place.

Capilano bridge. This was very neat. A very nicely done park

Gaslight District - This was nice, but really it is just more shops. I tended to get shopped out. Also be sure to stay on the main road for this district. I guess one or two road up(parallel) is the absolute worst part of Vancouver. We were told be several people to steer clear.

Have fun planning.

We are cruising Coral Princess June 2007 with parents (70's) northbound from Vancouver to Whittier. Here is our detailed itinerary (with much help from this board). Any and all feedback welcome!!

Day 1: Fly into Vancouver day early, sightsee (might want 2 days precruise here)

Day 2: Sightsee in morning, board ship 2:00-3:00

Day 3: At sea

Day 4: Ketchikan - Misty Fiords Floatplane, Lumberjack Show (parents) Creek Street, Saxman Village

Day 5: Juneau - Whale Watching (all of us), Heli dogsledding (DH and I), Goldpanning somewhere (parents), Mendenhall Glacier, Mt. Roberts Tram, Red Dog Saloon

Day 6: Skagway - WPRR/bus to Emerald Lake and back, shopping

Day 7: At sea

Day 8: At sea

Day 9: Disembark, Taxi to Seward, overnite

Day 10: 6-hour Kenai Fjords, sightsee, overnite in Seward

Day 11: Exit Glacier, SeaLife Center in Seward, 6pm train to Anchorage, overnite in Anchorage

Day 12: Pick up rental van, get groceries in Wasilla, drive to Independence Mine (maybe), Hatcher Pass, Matanuska Glacier (so parents can walk on glacier), backtrack and overnite in Talkeetna

Day 13: DH is doing Mt. McKinley Summit flight, need advice for something the rest of us can do in Talkeetna, travel to overnite in Healy

Day 14: Denali Visitor Center, Dogsled Demo, hiking, Dinner theater, overnite in Healy

Day 15: Pick up box lunches for Shuttle to Fish Creek (or Wonder Lake), overnite in Healy

Day 16: Return to Anchorage, overnite

Day 17: Sightsee, return van, fly home.

Any thoughts?

Some suggestions,

1. Consider Temsco Helicopter Dogsled tour out of Skagway instead of doing it in Juneau. They do a great job. You are pretty full in Juneau and the helcoptor tours in Juneau are cancelled more than any other. http://temscoair.com/tours/dogs.htm

2. If you could afford a one way rental from Whittier to Anchorage you could add stops on this most beautiful scenic road on your way to Seward and back from Seward to Anchorage. You could then rent Roundtrip in Anchorage. When driving from Whittier you go thru the tunnel and pass right by the Begich Boggs Portage Glacier Visitor Center. This is a wonderful place with lots of great information on Alaska and nature. I spent almost 2 hours there yesterday enjoying it. Then right down the street towards the Portage Glacier tour you can stop at the Byron Glacier Hiking path. This is a very easy one mile hike that takes you right up to the face of Byron Glacier. When you arrive there you are in the middle of a bowl of peaks that is beautiful. This whole easy walk takes 30 min in and out. I also did this over the weekend with my disabled daughter who made the walk with no problem. Down the street from here is a nice little cruise to the portage Glacier. It is one of the least expensive glacier cruise you can take. Its only $29. http://graylinealaska.com/sightseeingtours.cfm/mode/detail/product_id/1550

You can follow that with a trip to the Alaska Conservation Center. http://www.alaskawildlife.org/ It guarantees you see Moose, Bears and other Alaskan Wildlife. All the animals have been rescued and the cost is only $7.50 pp. Its a drive thru and get out when you want. All four of these stops are within about 5 miles of each other from the exit of the Whittier Tunnel to the Seward Highway. All could be done in a few hours and with the 87 mile drive to Seward you could still easily be there by early evening.

The next day if you are taking the 8am 6 hour Kenai Fjords trip, you are done by 2 pm. This gives you time for the Sea Life and/or Exit Glacier. Overnight Seward and you could catch Exit on your way out. However, I think Byron is a much more beautiful hike and a better view when you get there. Exit Glacier is nice for those who are really going to hike up next to it on the side trails and that is strenous. If you pass up exit glacier on your 2 hour drive back to Anchorage you can also stop at Girdwood and take the tram to the top of Mt. Alyeska. Also at the Hotel is a .65 mile beautiful boarwalked, hike. http://www.alyeskaresort.com/page.asp?intNodeID=10933 Here is the Hike. It shows the whole hike with the hand tram, but the part with the boardwalk is only the .65 mile part. http://www.alyeskaresort.com/page.asp?intNodeID=12734

If you followed this scenario, you would be in Anchorage on Day 11 by late afternoon. If you want to overnight in Anchorage then you have time in the evening to sightsee.

On day 13 having already done Exit, Portage and Byron Glaciers, I would skip Matsanuska and just do hatcher pass and then on to Talkeetna. In Talkeetna for a fun trip suggestion you may consider Mahay's jetboat tours. They are fun and informative. http://www.mahaysriverboat.com/denalialaska-mahay.com/index.htm

Hope this gives you something to consider.

I too agree, a one way car rental from Whittier, is a better idea with a group. AND do something THAT day, either, consider a glacier boat tour out of Whittier, or something in Seward. You could shorten a day easily and add some time in Anchorage, which you don't have. Plenty to do there too.

I too agree with Mike, you have a too full day 12. My opinion only, I would never consider anything less than the long tour on Matanuska of 4 hours. It isn't worth the time on any less, as you do not get on much ice, nor have the expansive viewing of a glacier.

It was just enough time but 3 wouldn't have hurt. I was bummed we didn't have the full day that everyone said we should take for Victoria Island (and could have if we'd been there for 3 days), so we didn't make it there at all.

Keep in mind the Mendhenhall Glacier in Juneau takes at least an hour and a half with the way the shuttle works. Or if you are whale watching with Capn Larry (which is what everyone here said to do), maybe you could have him pick you up or drop you off at the glacier if neccessary. I could have made it but didn't think I could so I didn't and I really regret it.

For what it's worth, I thought souvenir shopping was really bad in Alaska. If you are looking for real jewelry (like opal rings costing $600+), there are a ton of stores like that and presumably good competition. But otherwise, I found shopping to be boring and unfruitful (and I'm normally a big souvenir shopping enthusiast).

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.

Gotta/Phish - We haven't finalized our flights yet, but it looks like we will arrive in Vancouver around noon the day before our cruise. I think we have decided to take an evening tour that goes to Capilano bridge, Grouse Mountain and across Lions Gate Bridge. It sounds like Vancouver has a lot to offer so we plan to do some sightseeing the morning of the cruise.

Mk - DH has decided to drop the Juneau heli/dog sled tour and book one in either Skagway or Seward. We want to make the most of our time and glad you guys helped us realize we were doing too much in Juneau. We know, time is slower in Alaska!!

We like the idea of renting a car in Whittier and working our way (stopping at Portage Glacier, etc.) along at our own pace. But, riding the train along the Seward/Anchorage route is a priority for me and my parents. Hopefully we'll work it out. Maybe we should reverse the trip and go to Anchorage first and overnite, then 6:00 am train to Seward, 2 overnights in Seward, rent car in Seward and return to Anchorage (or even ride the train from Seward to Anchorage this time :) !!!) Still would appreciate any help with the logistics of all this travel between Seward and Anchorage.

Also, I think we may reconsider Matanuska glacier trip, especially if we are able to do the Byron Glacier Hiking Path. Have any of you been to Independence Mine? DH is just dying to go there because he thinks my coal miner father will like it.

Phish - In Juneau, we will whale watch with one of the smaller operators and plan to have them drop us off closer to Mendenhall so we don't have to backtrack.

Again, thanks for all your help and please feel free to give us more of your thoughts.

We like the idea of renting a car in Whittier and working our way (stopping at Portage Glacier, etc.) along at our own pace. But, riding the train along the Seward/Anchorage route is a priority for me and my parents. Hopefully we'll work it out. Maybe we should reverse the trip and go to Anchorage first and overnite, then 6:00 am train to Seward, 2 overnights in Seward, rent car in Seward and return to Anchorage (or even ride the train from Seward to Anchorage this time :) !!!) Still would appreciate any help with the logistics of all this travel between Seward and Anchorage.

How about this. Rent a car from Avis in Whittier and follow some of the stops I recommended from Whittier to Seward. You could even go to Alyeska if you wanted before heading south to Seward. Alyeska is only 10 miles north of the intersection of Portage Rd and the Seward Highway. Then turn the car in when leaving Seward and take the train back to Anchorage. In Anchorage rent another car for the round trip to Denali other spots.

Also, I think we may reconsider Matanuska glacier trip, especially if we are able to do the Byron Glacier Hiking Path. Have any of you been to Independence Mine? DH is just dying to go there because he thinks my coal miner father will like it.

I haven't been to Independence mine or done Hatcher Pass rd. The last time I went part of the way, but RV's are not able to cross over the top. As for an alternative mine to visit, if you visit the Alyeska Tram at the Alyeska resort, right up the road is the Crow Creek Mine. You can see an authentic mine and even do some panning. Here is their web site. http://crowcreekgoldmine.com/

How about this. Rent a car from Avis in Whittier and follow some of the stops I recommended from Whittier to Seward. You could even go to Alyeska if you wanted before heading south to Seward. Alyeska is only 10 miles north of the intersection of Portage Rd and the Seward Highway. Then turn the car in when leaving Seward and take the train back to Anchorage. In Anchorage rent another car for the round trip to Denali other spots.

Whittier has Avis and Seward has Hertz, so you can't drop-off a rental car from Whittier in Seward.

**New idea if you really want to take the train part of the way - rent from Avis in Whitter, drive to Seward, then on your return trip to Anchorage drop-off the car in Whittier (being careful to time the tunnels). Then take the 6:45 p.m. train from Whittier to Anchorage, arriving Anchorage at 9:15 p.m. You'll save a BIG one-way fee ($125) by returning the car to Whittier, although it isn't the most efficient way to go to Anchorage.

I know BQ will be able to answer this, because she has before. I have never taken the RR to Seward so I can't comment on it. I just am not sure what the great appeal is to the RR from Seward to Anchorage or back, over a car. For much of the way you can see the tracks right next to the Seward Highway overlooking the same beautiful views of Turnigan Arm. I have driven the trip multiple times and I love that I can pull over whenever I want at any of the many pull outs and just gaze at the beautiful views. This past weekend we watched the Beluga Whales as they moved down the Arm.

I like MKaplan's first iteniery for your days 9-11. I may look into trying that myself.

Here's a thought from someone who hasn't done it yet, but might try something to look like....

Day 11 finish Seward trip; overnite Anchorage.

Day 12 full day city sightseeing & resting up if necessary; overnite Anch.

Day 13 7:30am GrayLine motor coach to Talkeetna ($48 ea) arr 9:30 am. Full day of activities. Overnite in Talkeetna

Day 14 10am Grayline coach to Denali ($48) arr 12:45pm. full afternoon in Denali. Overnite in Denali.

Day 15 Same as you planned it- Wonder Lake or fish creek & overnite Denali.

Day 16 This is where you make up for losing the other train ride, which leaves at 12:15pm and relax on the southbound train to Anchorage arr at 8pm ($129) & overnite in Anchorage

Day 17 Anchorage & fly out that evening.

Most of the Grayline motor coachs that I have taken were comfy & ok leg room. Better than the school buses that might be encountered at Denali.

Whittier has Avis and Seward has Hertz, so you can't drop-off a rental car from Whittier in Seward.

**New idea if you really want to take the train part of the way - rent from Avis in Whitter, drive to Seward, then on your return trip to Anchorage drop-off the car in Whittier (being careful to time the tunnels). Then take the 6:45 p.m. train from Whittier to Anchorage, arriving Anchorage at 9:15 p.m. You'll save a BIG one-way fee ($125) by returning the car to Whittier, although it isn't the most efficient way to go to Anchorage.

My time to edit ran out! By the time you pay $58/pp for train from Whittier to Anchorage, it would wipe out any savings by returning the car to Whittier. Therefore - if you're going to rent a car in Whittier, hang onto it until you get to Anchorage.

This is a poor plan. There is NO advantage to taking the train on the Anchorage/Whittier portion as it is the EXACT same route for both road and rail. The superior portion for the train is Seward/Girdwood.

This is a poor plan. There is NO advantage to taking the train on the Anchorage/Whittier portion as it is the EXACT same route for both road and rail. The superior portion for the train is Seward/Girdwood.

I am aware of that, and my NEXT post said to skip that and just hang onto the rental car until Anchorage! The OP can't rent a car in Whittier for drop-off in Seward, then take the train to Anchorage. Her only train options from Seward appear to be to take a taxi there/train to Anchorage as in her original plan, or go to Anchorage first and take the train from there, as she also suggested.

I like MKaplan's first iteniery for your days 9-11. I may look into trying that myself.

Here's a thought from someone who hasn't done it yet, but might try something to look like....

Day 11 finish Seward trip; overnite Anchorage.

Day 12 full day city sightseeing & resting up if necessary; overnite Anch.

Day 13 7:30am GrayLine motor coach to Talkeetna ($48 ea) arr 9:30 am. Full day of activities. Overnite in Talkeetna

Day 14 10am Grayline coach to Denali ($48) arr 12:45pm. full afternoon in Denali. Overnite in Denali.

Day 15 Same as you planned it- Wonder Lake or fish creek & overnite Denali.

Day 16 This is where you make up for losing the other train ride, which leaves at 12:15pm and relax on the southbound train to Anchorage arr at 8pm ($129) & overnite in Anchorage

Day 17 Anchorage & fly out that evening.

Most of the Grayline motor coachs that I have taken were comfy & ok leg room. Better than the school buses that might be encountered at Denali.

My opinion only, a bus is transportation only. Would be my last choice. If you are not against a rental car, it is way superior for the enjoyment of all the small stuff that is offered ad lib on this route. The freedom is the most important- frankly. I have taken the entire route of the Alaska RR several times. TIME is necessary, and I do agree, that stopping in Talkeetna is the best option. But the lack of your own transportation is a big negative, in a place where everything is so spread out.

Okay, DH and I are still trying to get the logistics of travel between Whittier to Seward to Anchorage. What do you think about these options:

Option 1. Post cruise in Whittier, DH lovingly volunteered to take early shuttle/bus/limo to Anchorage to pick up Hertz rental car - while we do something in Whittier (help us with ideas and what would we do with our luggage) - then drive back to Whittier to pick us up, and onward to Seward we go via BB Visitor Center, Portage Glacier, Crow's Creek gold panning. Overnite in Seward. Next day, Kenai Fjords Boat Tour, sightsee. Overnite in Seward again. Next day, SeaLife Center, Exit Glacier, drop off rental car, 6:00pm train to Anchorage.

How long should we expect to wait for DH's roundtrip from Whittier to Anchorage?? I just don't like the idea of DH being on the road all that time before the rest of us even start our land tour.

Option 2. Post cruise in Whittier, all of us take shuttle/bus/limo to Anchorage. Pick up Hertz rental car, sightsee, Native Heritage Center. Overnite in Anchorage. (Of course, this adds an extra day to our itinerary) Drive south to Seward sightseeing and stopping along the way. 2 nites in Seward. Same Seward activities as above. Drop off rental car. 6:00pm train to Anchorage. Overnite in Anchorage. Pick up rental car and head north.

This option could also be reversed train to Seward and return trip to Anchorage by car.

Option 3: Post cruise in Whittier, all of us take shuttle/bus to Anchorage, pick up Hertz rental car, drive south toward Seward doing all the sightseeing as above. Spend our 2 nights in Seward. Drop off rental car, 6:00 pm train to Anchorage. Overnite in Anchorage and then northbound.

This option is beginning to sound the best for our priorities. Planning this aspect of the trip is becoming very tiresome with all of the backtracking because of rental car dropoffs - or lack thereof.

Anybody have any better ideas about how to travel between Whittier, Seward and Anchorage - with train 1-way between Seward & Anchorage a priority.

Nancy - what cruise are you taking next June. We will be on Coral Princess June 4, 2007.

Thanks again everyone!!

Okay, DH and I are still trying to get the logistics of travel between Whittier to Seward to Anchorage. What do you think about these options:

Option 1. Post cruise in Whittier, DH lovingly volunteered to take early shuttle/bus/limo to Anchorage to pick up Hertz rental car - while we do something in Whittier (help us with ideas and what would we do with our luggage) - then drive back to Whittier to pick us up, and onward to Seward we go via BB Visitor Center, Portage Glacier, Crow's Creek gold panning. Overnite in Seward. Next day, Kenai Fjords Boat Tour, sightsee. Overnite in Seward again. Next day, SeaLife Center, Exit Glacier, drop off rental car, 6:00pm train to Anchorage.

How long should we expect to wait for DH's roundtrip from Whittier to Anchorage?? I just don't like the idea of DH being on the road all that time before the rest of us even start our land tour.

Option 2. Post cruise in Whittier, all of us take shuttle/bus/limo to Anchorage. Pick up Hertz rental car, sightsee, Native Heritage Center. Overnite in Anchorage. (Of course, this adds an extra day to our itinerary) Drive south to Seward sightseeing and stopping along the way. 2 nites in Seward. Same Seward activities as above. Drop off rental car. 6:00pm train to Anchorage. Overnite in Anchorage. Pick up rental car and head north.

This option could also be reversed train to Seward and return trip to Anchorage by car.

Option 3: Post cruise in Whittier, all of us take shuttle/bus to Anchorage, pick up Hertz rental car, drive south toward Seward doing all the sightseeing as above. Spend our 2 nights in Seward. Drop off rental car, 6:00 pm train to Anchorage. Overnite in Anchorage and then northbound.

This option is beginning to sound the best for our priorities. Planning this aspect of the trip is becoming very tiresome with all of the backtracking because of rental car dropoffs - or lack thereof.

Anybody have any better ideas about how to travel between Whittier, Seward and Anchorage - with train 1-way between Seward & Anchorage a priority.

Nancy - what cruise are you taking next June. We will be on Coral Princess June 4, 2007.

Thanks again everyone!!

I recommend you just go direct- Whittier to Seward with a shuttle service. It makes no sense to back track to Anchorage in my opinion. You do not really need a car in Seward, If you think you do, just rent a Hertz car when you get there. You can expect a 3 hour timeframe for your husband to get back to Whittier. Most boat tours are 1pm, there may be earlier ones??? But still someone waiting around doing nothing.

If you are independent out of Anchorage with a round trip rental car- it is VERY easy to add some time for the Arm driving, getting to Portage. Only takes a little over an hour, if you want to get that far. Bird Creek is far enough otherwise. For clairfication, Crow's Creek gold panning is prior to Whittier, again backtracking on the way to Seward. Again, would be easy to add for a ride from Anchorage. Perhaps on the other end of your trip??? Before flying out??

Funny you should ask! :) We were on the June 6th Pacific Princess. I loved that ship's itinerary and smaller size, but I also wanted more time in Alaska for the land part afterwards. So - yesterday I made the switch to the June 4th Coral Princess! I'll gladly give up 2 pre-cruise days in Vancouver to have 2 more days in Alaska at the end.

If you are independent out of Anchorage with a round trip rental car- it is VERY easy to add some time for the Arm driving, getting to Portage. Only takes a little over an hour, if you want to get that far. Bird Creek is far enough otherwise.

As ususal BQ is correct. It is only about an hour and 15 minute drive to Portage and Girdwood in 15 miles closer still. You could do the Byron Glacier, the BB visitor center, crow creek mine all from Anchorage in a day trip. I would say it would take about 2.5 for drive 1.5 Byron Glacier, 1-1.5 BB center, 2 or so for crow creek mine. That would be about 8 hours including stops to gasp at scenery.

Oh, by the way Budget Queen, you didn't clarify why you like the RR over the car drive to Seward or back?

Oh, by the way Budget Queen, you didn't clarify why you like the RR over the car drive to Seward or back?

HELLOOOOOO MIke!! :) The train is a great option for one way travelers into or out of Seward. Really ideal with a cruise direct in/out of Seward. The scenery indeed is way superior vs the Seward Highway outside of the Arm. A car rental is the best option in my opinion for the time freedom and a definate necessity for Whittier to Seward direct and any further Kenai touring. I have done and recommend both depending on the situation.

The train is a cheaper option than a one way rental so, it works well for me with 2 passengers and cruising Seward. So, it's not that I like one over the other, which I do not. But sometimes it "flows" better with the train. :)

Boy, you can tell DH and I are spending way too much time counting down the days until our trip to Alaska. We couldn't see the forest for the trees!!

BQ & MK - thanks for the advice about taking day trip out of Anchorage to see Turnagain arm, Portage glacier, BB center, instead of all the backtracking and wasting time trying to get a rental car. Of course, this would probably mean adding a day in Anchorage, which is never a bad thing. :D I don't know why that option never popped up in our minds.

Nancy - it's neat we will be on same cruise. I haven't noticed anyone else on the boards on our cruise. Have you posted a probable itinerary yet?

Nancy - it's neat we will be on same cruise. I haven't noticed anyone else on the boards on our cruise. Have you posted a probable itinerary yet?

I have posted some of my itinerary ideas in the past, but they haven't been received very well. Since gaining 2 more days for the land trip yesterday, I've come up with an itinerary that I really like. Some would call it a "marathon trip" - but it suits me fine. However, I'm hesitant to post any more info until my plans are more definite. It's still a LONG time until June!

Archived