Dietary Questions - Infant

Krispy

I have a bad feeling this will turn into a infants on cruise ships debate - Please don't let it, I just need this question answered...

From what I understand you can ask them to puree food in the diningroom- I just need to know if this is indeed correct - we are going on the freedom in October and I am trying to judge how much food to bring for my little guy.

Thanks for your help!

Kristina

You might want to go to the family cruising board for the best and most accurate advice. I have never heard of it, but then again I wasn't looking for it either. I do know you have to bring everything, diapers, formula, etc for the baby. You might want to just bring jarred food for the week. I used to make my baby food also, but would substiute the jars when the situation warranted.

and believe me the kids survived.

Sue

What do you mean by "infant"

If your little one is less than 8 or 9 months old and haven't had a lot of table food - I would pack a lot. The plastic jars don't weight very much at all. They they are older than that and have had a lot of table food - I would feel comfortable packing less. My son is on mostly table food now, and enjoys a good steak with the rest of the family. So, we will bring very little food for him (he will be 13 months on our cruise).

They can puree - just order simple side dishes. The also accomodate special diets -like people that are diabetic. So, I would call ahead and see what they can provide in the form of little or no salt, sugar, etc.

Regarding anything for your infant please make sure you have enough of all the essentials. I would not soley rely on the cruiseline for food, if your child is not at the age of eating whole food. This will be my daughters 3rd cruise in 2 weeks, and she just turned 2 years old. At 7 weeks no issue all formula, at 8 month old, the cruiseline does PUREE Food. Ask your waiter and or Matri'D for pureed food. When we sayed a yr ago, the pureed everything from carrots, green beans, combo of both, fruit etc. Use this as a secondary choice, but to answer your question, they do puree.

Just came back from SOS this past weekend. We took our boys (9 months and 2 1/2).

The dining room staff bent over backwards to bring foods for the boys to eat. The head waiter came up to the table and gave us some choices. You can also ask for a particular vegetable or fruit. My 9 month old eats table food so we fed him from what they brought him and from our plates (mashed potato and veggies). They also bought a bowl of plain pasta and you can mash that with your fingers and feed the baby.

There are many options available for parents traveling with children. You can also bring a few jars of food in case your little one does not want any of the foods offered.

Oh Ill be bringing the jarred food - just wanted some other options as well - we cruised with my daughter at 7 months old (she's now almost 4) so I remember packing all the jars etc. Just wondering what if anything they would puree for him (he'll be 6 months old) I already know that diapers wipes etc are all going to be needed so thats not a problem - just an extra suitcase for my junk on the way home! :)

why not just take a manual babyfood grinder with you, then the kid can eat whatever you have on your plate? This would solve all issues, no matter where you eat - dining room, windjammer, etc. My sister used hers everywhere without being revolting at the table with other diners.

That's a great question that I never thought of. I know that when my daughter was 7 months old on the last cruise, I just brought alot of the small plastic baby food containers. But then didn't need many at all because I was able to take food from every meal and mash it small enough for her to eat (like bananas, carrots, squash, applesauce, etc)

Have a great cruise! And feel free to join us at the family cruising board for any more tips.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Archived