Family ocean view vs D-1 on Jewel

lindacat

I am currently booked on the 10/21 sailing on the Jewel. I will be sharing a room with my parents. My father is not in the best of health and they both have difficulty in walking long distances. We are currently booked in a category D-1. (Room 1558 right next to the royal suite). From the pictures this looks to have a large balcony due to it's location. It is also right in the center of the ship. Just recently the Family ocean view cabins became available for booking for people with less than 5 in their group. The rate is is about $20(total) higher than the rate we received for our D-1. The dimensions of the room however will give us much more space, plus a small private room for my use. We were in room 8500 before and loved the space. The location of the room is problematic as it is far from the center of the ship. We have never had a category D-1 before so are finding it hard to compare and make up our minds. Has anyone been in cabin 1558 on the Jewel. Will we have enough space? Is the center of the ship + the balcony worth more than the extra space and privacy of the FOV?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Linda

Can your father use a scooter? I believe you can rent them for the cruise from RCI. Call them and check. That would make having the FOV more accessible to your dad. Yes, having more space is better. Space is at a premium on a ship, and my rule of thumb is to book the largest cabin you can afford, just to be comfortable!

I guess you'll have to compare the benefits of having more space in your stateroom against having a stateroom with a balcony that is close to the middle of the ship and close to the elevator, a definite benefit for your father. Family Ocean View rooms are all the way forward on Decks 7 & 8 which can make it a long trek to the closest stairs or elevators and an extremely long way from the Windjammer Cafe and the Jewel's dining room. It's pretty much a trade off and you and your family will need to decide what your priorities are. If your dad can use a scooter to get around, that might make a big difference.

My father recently fell and broke his shoulder. It should be better by the trip but I would hate to rent a scooter and have him not be able to manuever it. We recently rented a manual wheel chair for him on a trip on the Explorer. Because these problems came up suddenly we did not have a HC cabin. It was not easy to manuever throughout the ship. ( or to get elevators) I hope that if we keep the cabin in the center of the ship, he will be ok without the wheelchair/scooter. I know if we opt for the FOV we will definately need the scooter/ wheelchair. I would have to wait until we get closer to decide if he could handle the scooter. On the last trip my brother and sil were along and between the three of us we could push the wheelchair. On this trip I would be on my own. I guess I am just unsure as to what will make us all more comfortable.

Archived